Hi guys,
Well until a few days ago I had never heard of a DS. Not that common over here. However, while out walking with Weasley some crazy old man came over and asked me where I bought a DS in our area. I told him we had taken her in as an abandoned stray when we lived in the Italian alps 4 years ago and as far as I was concerned when anyone asked me what type of dog she was the answer was always....Brown. After looking on your site I am starting to think he may have been right (and not blind drunk). Have to say the old farmer lady up the mountains in Italy wanted any of her puppies as she was so good at herding the cows and ducks.
Can any of you cast any light on this for me. It would be hilarious as I just thought she was some weird mix with huge ears and an over large tongue.
Thanks all
Matt
New from Halifax UK
-
MattW
- Just Whelped
- Posts: 2
- Joined: Thu May 10, 2012 3:05 pm
- Tell us about yourself: I'm Matt, live in the UK with my wife and have owned Weasley for 4 years. Weasley was abandoned and found by our friends by the side of the road when we lived in the Italian Alps 4 years ago. We always just thought she was a weird looking (read lovable) brown dog with crazy large ears and a large tongue. Some guy the other day asked us where we bought a Dutch Herder and from loking on line I think rather than him being mad, she just might be!
New from Halifax UK
- Attachments
-
- photo.JPG (133.12 KiB) Viewed 3261 times
-
- Eresaz.JPG (171.94 KiB) Viewed 3261 times
-
- mine.JPG (55.4 KiB) Viewed 3261 times
-
- curious.JPG (52.28 KiB) Viewed 3261 times
-
GSDNanny
- Training Dog
- Posts: 615
- Joined: Wed Jul 07, 2010 4:13 pm
- Tell us about yourself: Dogs are my life, what can I say. GSDs primarily for nearly 50 years til bringing in my first DutchShep about 4 years ago. GSD rescue for 9 yrs, nearly 200 thru my home, rehabbed, adopted out. Been involved in AKC ob, herding, tracking, agility; Schutzhund-DVG; scent detection (HR-water)&narcotics, some patrol work. Mostly herding training at present on my little farm.
Re: New from Halifax UK
Well she looks like a Dutchie to me! Cant tell about the body, but head, well yes. Pretty girl.
Welcome!
Welcome!
Denise Gatlin & Zip, Shooter & the K9 crew
Livin' in the deep south - Louisiana
- felixone123
- Working Dog
- Posts: 1076
- Joined: Tue Aug 09, 2011 7:08 pm
- Tell us about yourself: Rescued our first DS male on Dec 27, 2011. Approx 4 yrs. Rescued from NADSR. His name is Odin. Adopted a 2nd DS from NADSR June 27, 2012. Kai - 6 months.
- Location: Fishkill, NY
-
CaroleBoaz
- Training Dog
- Posts: 592
- Joined: Wed Oct 19, 2011 2:52 am
- Tell us about yourself: I am currently the Secretary and Treasurer of the Dutch Shepherd Club of North America. We are the national breed club for Dutch Shepherds, and have the support of the Nederlandse Herdershonden Club in our endeavours to record the Dutch Shepherd breed in the United States and Canada through the American Kennel Club. dscna.com Join us on Facebook.
- Contact:
Re: New from Halifax UK
Very cute! Looks like she never grew into her ears. 
- Dutchringgirl
- Global Moderator

- Posts: 5692
- Joined: Sat Feb 12, 2011 3:05 pm
- Tell us about yourself: I am a mom of 6 life forces - 2 kids and 3 dogs 1 hamster. I live in Ct. I have trained Ringsport and Agility and have 2 DS, one 15 and 7 and a Basset Hound Cookie who is 2
- Location: Ct, USA
Re: New from Halifax UK
hmmm, large ears.........large toung hanging out.......Dutchie
Lisa, Thalie CGC & Sadie, Cookie the Basset, CT




- Olie
- Green Dog
- Posts: 236
- Joined: Fri Apr 20, 2012 7:00 am
- Tell us about yourself: I am a 32 y.o. veterinarian working in a food microbiology lab, Olaf is cca 1-1,5 y.o. DS adopted from shelter. We are from Croatia.
Re: New from Halifax UK
wow she has huge ears just like Olaf!
Cute girl!!
Cute girl!!
Barbara & Olaf
Croatia, Europe (that`s why my english is bad)

Croatia, Europe (that`s why my english is bad)

-
MattW
- Just Whelped
- Posts: 2
- Joined: Thu May 10, 2012 3:05 pm
- Tell us about yourself: I'm Matt, live in the UK with my wife and have owned Weasley for 4 years. Weasley was abandoned and found by our friends by the side of the road when we lived in the Italian Alps 4 years ago. We always just thought she was a weird looking (read lovable) brown dog with crazy large ears and a large tongue. Some guy the other day asked us where we bought a Dutch Herder and from loking on line I think rather than him being mad, she just might be!
Re: New from Halifax UK
Hi guys and thanks. She does have the most ludicrous ears and a good friend of mine thinks she is a cross between a dingo and a fruit bat.
Certainly no one here has a dog quite the same. Far too intelligent for her own good sometimes. I'm not sure anyone will believe my wife and I if we try to tell them she is in fact a Dutchie but I think the photos of all your amazing looking dogs might just help!
I've told her she is now a proper breed, almost like a duckling turning into a swan ha ha. She always thought she was special anyway!
I shall follow the rest of the forum with interest. Shame we don't have a UK one!!!
Matt
Certainly no one here has a dog quite the same. Far too intelligent for her own good sometimes. I'm not sure anyone will believe my wife and I if we try to tell them she is in fact a Dutchie but I think the photos of all your amazing looking dogs might just help!
I've told her she is now a proper breed, almost like a duckling turning into a swan ha ha. She always thought she was special anyway!
I shall follow the rest of the forum with interest. Shame we don't have a UK one!!!
Matt
- LyonsFamily
- Training Dog
- Posts: 947
- Joined: Mon Feb 27, 2012 3:08 am
- Tell us about yourself: Odin 5 years
Elli 5 years - Location: Michigan
- Contact:
Re: New from Halifax UK
Welcome to the forum! Love those ears.
The other day on a walk, I had a dad stop us so he could describe in detail the main differences to his son between a Malinois and a DS. He then went into stories about his childhood Malinois. The smile on his face when he met Odin was priceless.
I get that from a lot of people when they ask what Odin is. It's usually "Is that a real breed?" or "Oh is that a German Shepherd Pitbull Hybrid?" like it's the next labradoodle or maltipoo. It is nice when someone actually comes up to me and calls him a DS without even needing to ask. I've found that most of that type raised Malinois and met a few Dutch in working clubs. We live in a very Italian neighborhood with lots of retired military and cops, so they seem to be a bit more exposed.I'm not sure anyone will believe my wife and I if we try to tell them she is in fact a Dutchie
The other day on a walk, I had a dad stop us so he could describe in detail the main differences to his son between a Malinois and a DS. He then went into stories about his childhood Malinois. The smile on his face when he met Odin was priceless.
Stephanie
'Odin' NV PTA Odin of Another Kingdom RL1
'Elli' Drawing Our Own Constellations RL1 CGC CGCA
'Odin' NV PTA Odin of Another Kingdom RL1
'Elli' Drawing Our Own Constellations RL1 CGC CGCA
-
leih merigian
- Working Dog
- Posts: 1960
- Joined: Wed Jun 30, 2010 3:20 pm
- Tell us about yourself: Had a GSD, am getting a DS puppy in a few weeks. Compete in agility, obedience, and cross train in tons of stuff. Found out about this site from the DS Rescue yahoo list.
Re: New from Halifax UK
Love it! Wish I could remember that for the next time someone asks me what Geyser isMattW wrote:...a good friend of mine thinks she is a cross between a dingo and a fruit bat.
You've got a real cutie there...
leih merigian
Vrijheid's H'Geyser
Zodiac vom Younghaus (over the bridge)
Central VA (near Charlottesville)
It's never too late to have a happy childhood...
Vrijheid's H'Geyser
Zodiac vom Younghaus (over the bridge)
Central VA (near Charlottesville)
It's never too late to have a happy childhood...
- alspyce
- Working Dog
- Posts: 1222
- Joined: Wed Mar 23, 2011 5:51 pm
- Tell us about yourself: I am in New York State. Got my first DS about 14 years ago (more or less as a rescue- lost her in Nov.). After years of GSD's, and a few dogs of other breeds (Rotti/Beauceron/Ger. Shorthaired Pointer/ Yorkie and my current Jack Russell) I now have another DS, 4mo female, no name yet, tho I have a few in mind.
Also have a horse-old quarter horse mare-32.
Can't wait for all the snow to get gone! Spring is coming too slow this year! - Location: Corinth, New York
Re: New from Halifax UK
I'm gonna go with the fruit bat. Don't think I've seen ears that big even on my GSD's. I Love It !!!!
"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened." Anatole France
Chris Carlton/Lyric
Chris Carlton/Lyric
- vneerland
- Global Moderator

- Posts: 1547
- Joined: Sat Jun 19, 2010 10:10 pm
- Tell us about yourself: *
- Location: Tex@s


Facebook page.
Judith Van Neerland Dutch Shepherds 