Hello from Ottawa Canada

For our new members to introduce themselves
Post Reply
whitingh
Just Whelped
Posts: 3
Joined: Tue May 22, 2012 3:31 am
Tell us about yourself: I live in a small town outside Ottawa Ontario. We were just given a three-month old puppy that was being starved and abused in the home it was in. I've just received a tip that he looks just like a dutch shepherd and looking at the pictures, I'm sure they are right. I've had him just a week but he is a very sweet, smart boy. He's coming out of his shell with much love and has put quite a bit of weight on already.
Location: Ottawa, Ontario

Hello from Ottawa Canada

Post by whitingh »

Hello; my name is Heather and our family was given a three-month old puppy last week who was being starved and abused in the home he was in. I was told that he was half Boxer and half German Shepherd. We went to visit my sister tonight who has been working with local dog rescue groups for many years. She took one look at him and said, "Dutch Shepherd." Soo looking at the photos on the internet, I think she is right. I'm still uncertain whether there is any mix in him, but he definitely has the characteristics of many DSs.

For those wondering, he has totally come out of his shell in the past week and has put on weight. He is a doll. Very sweet and smart. Love him to pieces already.

Although we have good dog instincts and past experience, I'm a little nervous seeing just how intelligent they are. I think I will probably have to enrol in a dog obedience course to help us help my six-year-old maintain dominance over the puppy and frankly, to fill in training knowledge that I'm missing. Because from what I've been reading, it sounds like if there is a loophole, these dogs will find it! :)

Anyway - super happy to find out he is a dutch shepherd and super happy to find this forum!

Happy to find it!Image
Heather Whiting
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
Dutch Shepherd Mix: Shadow
Fluffball Fawn Coloured Kitty: Con
Beta Fish: Turkey
User avatar
Olie
Green Dog
Posts: 236
Joined: Fri Apr 20, 2012 7:00 am
Tell us about yourself: I am a 32 y.o. veterinarian working in a food microbiology lab, Olaf is cca 1-1,5 y.o. DS adopted from shelter. We are from Croatia.

Re: Hello from Ottawa Canada

Post by Olie »

Welcome and congrats on your sweet looking puppy!
Barbara & Olaf
Croatia, Europe (that`s why my english is bad)
Image
Sugars Mom
Working Dog
Posts: 1734
Joined: Thu Mar 03, 2011 12:16 am
Tell us about yourself: I adopted a Dutch Shepherd mix (without knowing what she was) from the SPCA here in Victoria BC and am now trying to learn everything I can about this breed. My husband and I work from home most of the time so I thought it was time to get a puppy! We have his 2 boys here half the time and we wanted a nice family dog.

Sugar looks like a miniature Dutch Shepherd with floppy ears, and has every ounce of DS traits in her little body!

I hope to learn from other DS owners and share doggy experiences.
Location: Victoria BC

Re: Hello from Ottawa Canada

Post by Sugars Mom »

Welcome and what a cute pup!
Sue (and Sugar)

Image
User avatar
felixone123
Working Dog
Posts: 1076
Joined: Tue Aug 09, 2011 7:08 pm
Tell us about yourself: Rescued our first DS male on Dec 27, 2011. Approx 4 yrs. Rescued from NADSR. His name is Odin. Adopted a 2nd DS from NADSR June 27, 2012. Kai - 6 months.
Location: Fishkill, NY

Re: Hello from Ottawa Canada

Post by felixone123 »

welcome and glad you now have him. I have zero tolerance for anyone abusing any animal.
What a sweet cute face - what's his name?
Barbara, Odin & Kai
User avatar
alspyce
Working Dog
Posts: 1222
Joined: Wed Mar 23, 2011 5:51 pm
Tell us about yourself: I am in New York State. Got my first DS about 14 years ago (more or less as a rescue- lost her in Nov.). After years of GSD's, and a few dogs of other breeds (Rotti/Beauceron/Ger. Shorthaired Pointer/ Yorkie and my current Jack Russell) I now have another DS, 4mo female, no name yet, tho I have a few in mind.
Also have a horse-old quarter horse mare-32.
Can't wait for all the snow to get gone! Spring is coming too slow this year!
Location: Corinth, New York

Re: Hello from Ottawa Canada

Post by alspyce »

Welcome!! I agree, Boxer & Shepherd, but heck he's got beautiful stripes!
"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened." Anatole France
Chris Carlton/Lyric
leih merigian
Working Dog
Posts: 1960
Joined: Wed Jun 30, 2010 3:20 pm
Tell us about yourself: Had a GSD, am getting a DS puppy in a few weeks. Compete in agility, obedience, and cross train in tons of stuff. Found out about this site from the DS Rescue yahoo list.

Re: Hello from Ottawa Canada

Post by leih merigian »

Welcome, Heather! What a cutie you have there...
leih merigian
Vrijheid's H'Geyser
Zodiac vom Younghaus (over the bridge)
Central VA (near Charlottesville)
It's never too late to have a happy childhood...
whitingh
Just Whelped
Posts: 3
Joined: Tue May 22, 2012 3:31 am
Tell us about yourself: I live in a small town outside Ottawa Ontario. We were just given a three-month old puppy that was being starved and abused in the home it was in. I've just received a tip that he looks just like a dutch shepherd and looking at the pictures, I'm sure they are right. I've had him just a week but he is a very sweet, smart boy. He's coming out of his shell with much love and has put quite a bit of weight on already.
Location: Ottawa, Ontario

Re: Hello from Ottawa Canada

Post by whitingh »

Thanks for the welcome! He came with the name Shadow. It's not my first choice but he knew it really well and my boys really like it too. I guess the sock does look like he has that boxer in him. Not the worst combo I guess. They are good family dogs. Looking forward to finding some training tips and other chat on the forum.
Heather Whiting
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
Dutch Shepherd Mix: Shadow
Fluffball Fawn Coloured Kitty: Con
Beta Fish: Turkey
User avatar
roxanne
Green Dog
Posts: 135
Joined: Sat Apr 07, 2012 2:23 am
Tell us about yourself: Hi.....my name is Angela. I have 2 daughters and 1 granddaughter. All of my dogs (and cats) are rescues. I have a puppy that we just adopted that I think could be at least part Dutch Shepherd. We also have a 2 year old pug/min pin mix and an 11 year old border collie and possible lab mix.

Re: Hello from Ottawa Canada

Post by roxanne »

Aww....what a cutie! Welcome! Everyone seems very nice and helpful here!
Angela
UCD URO1 El Tango De Roxanne CD CGC
(Dutch shepherd mix)
Emmy (pug/min pin mix)
User avatar
vneerland
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Posts: 1547
Joined: Sat Jun 19, 2010 10:10 pm
Tell us about yourself: *
Location: Tex@s

Re: Hello from Ottawa Canada

Post by vneerland »

Welcome Heather and shadow. Thank you for rescuing 8-)
ImageJudith Van Neerland Dutch Shepherds Image
User avatar
Marjolein
Working Dog
Posts: 2078
Joined: Sun Jul 11, 2010 7:17 pm
Tell us about yourself: I'm a Dutchie myself ;-) but live in Germany with Johan and my two DS's Cobber-Dingo and Knivil (Dingo and Ivil to friends...)
Location: Warbeyen, Germany
Contact:

Re: Hello from Ottawa Canada

Post by Marjolein »

Welcome, cute looking pup!!
Image
Post Reply