Just a day in the weeds

Have a photo you want to share?
Post Reply
CaroleBoaz
Training Dog
Posts: 592
Joined: Wed Oct 19, 2011 2:52 am
Tell us about yourself: I am currently the Secretary and Treasurer of the Dutch Shepherd Club of North America. We are the national breed club for Dutch Shepherds, and have the support of the Nederlandse Herdershonden Club in our endeavours to record the Dutch Shepherd breed in the United States and Canada through the American Kennel Club. dscna.com Join us on Facebook.
Contact:

Just a day in the weeds

Post by CaroleBoaz »

I finally brought my camera with me, but the weeds are pretty dense.

Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
User avatar
Olie
Green Dog
Posts: 236
Joined: Fri Apr 20, 2012 7:00 am
Tell us about yourself: I am a 32 y.o. veterinarian working in a food microbiology lab, Olaf is cca 1-1,5 y.o. DS adopted from shelter. We are from Croatia.

Re: Just a day in the weeds

Post by Olie »

Haha! Great pics!
Barbara & Olaf
Croatia, Europe (that`s why my english is bad)
Image
User avatar
Marjolein
Working Dog
Posts: 2078
Joined: Sun Jul 11, 2010 7:17 pm
Tell us about yourself: I'm a Dutchie myself ;-) but live in Germany with Johan and my two DS's Cobber-Dingo and Knivil (Dingo and Ivil to friends...)
Location: Warbeyen, Germany
Contact:

Re: Just a day in the weeds

Post by Marjolein »

whaha, bring a lawm mower next time!! :D Nice pics 8-)
Image
Lauren
Training Dog
Posts: 540
Joined: Thu Jul 21, 2011 11:29 pm
Tell us about yourself: I am a wife, mother of 2 kids, 3 cats, 1 Standard Poodle (10 yrs) and Xena, a Dutch Shepherd Puppy.

Re: Just a day in the weeds

Post by Lauren »

Very nice! I am so jealous! I want to be able to walk my dogs off lead too! But I am too much of a chicken!!!!

:dschick:
Lauren from Western NC
User avatar
felixone123
Working Dog
Posts: 1076
Joined: Tue Aug 09, 2011 7:08 pm
Tell us about yourself: Rescued our first DS male on Dec 27, 2011. Approx 4 yrs. Rescued from NADSR. His name is Odin. Adopted a 2nd DS from NADSR June 27, 2012. Kai - 6 months.
Location: Fishkill, NY

Re: Just a day in the weeds

Post by felixone123 »

they all look like they had fun!! don't forget to check for ticks...I'm forever doing that.
Barbara, Odin & Kai
CaroleBoaz
Training Dog
Posts: 592
Joined: Wed Oct 19, 2011 2:52 am
Tell us about yourself: I am currently the Secretary and Treasurer of the Dutch Shepherd Club of North America. We are the national breed club for Dutch Shepherds, and have the support of the Nederlandse Herdershonden Club in our endeavours to record the Dutch Shepherd breed in the United States and Canada through the American Kennel Club. dscna.com Join us on Facebook.
Contact:

Re: Just a day in the weeds

Post by CaroleBoaz »

I always check them out. If there aren't any ticks, there are still sticks and burrs.
CaroleBoaz
Training Dog
Posts: 592
Joined: Wed Oct 19, 2011 2:52 am
Tell us about yourself: I am currently the Secretary and Treasurer of the Dutch Shepherd Club of North America. We are the national breed club for Dutch Shepherds, and have the support of the Nederlandse Herdershonden Club in our endeavours to record the Dutch Shepherd breed in the United States and Canada through the American Kennel Club. dscna.com Join us on Facebook.
Contact:

Re: Just a day in the weeds

Post by CaroleBoaz »

Lauren wrote:Very nice! I am so jealous! I want to be able to walk my dogs off lead too! But I am too much of a chicken!!!! :dschick:
I always start the puppies with off leash walks with the older dogs, and we do it every weekend. Then they don't think it's anything special.

In dense vegetation, like today, the dogs don't stray far. They always try to stay within my sight. But when we go to a big open field or a beach, the boys will go farther away because they can still see me. So, I make sure I'm in a safe place and call them back to me often. I like taking them to where I work early Sunday mornings. There's a lot of grass, some trees and a little pond. I just wish Balto didn't chase the geese all the time. I'm not taking them there now because of the baby geese.
User avatar
Dutchringgirl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Posts: 5692
Joined: Sat Feb 12, 2011 3:05 pm
Tell us about yourself: I am a mom of 6 life forces - 2 kids and 3 dogs 1 hamster. I live in Ct. I have trained Ringsport and Agility and have 2 DS, one 15 and 7 and a Basset Hound Cookie who is 2
Location: Ct, USA

Re: Just a day in the weeds

Post by Dutchringgirl »

looks like good sniffing grounds.
Lisa, Thalie CGC & Sadie, Cookie the Basset, CT
ImageImage
User avatar
Christie M
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Posts: 1279
Joined: Wed Jun 30, 2010 10:03 pm
Tell us about yourself: Love my striped beasts.

Re: Just a day in the weeds

Post by Christie M »

Looks like tons of fun!!!

I think they like playing "marco - polo" is the dense vegetation!
Christie Meyer
http://www.northwoodsk9.com
http://www.dutchshepherdrescue.org
http://www.thunderhawkcanine.com

Be proud of the things that you have taught your dog. Be humbled and grateful for all of the things that your dog has taught you. - Unknown
Sugars Mom
Working Dog
Posts: 1734
Joined: Thu Mar 03, 2011 12:16 am
Tell us about yourself: I adopted a Dutch Shepherd mix (without knowing what she was) from the SPCA here in Victoria BC and am now trying to learn everything I can about this breed. My husband and I work from home most of the time so I thought it was time to get a puppy! We have his 2 boys here half the time and we wanted a nice family dog.

Sugar looks like a miniature Dutch Shepherd with floppy ears, and has every ounce of DS traits in her little body!

I hope to learn from other DS owners and share doggy experiences.
Location: Victoria BC

Re: Just a day in the weeds

Post by Sugars Mom »

I bet they had a blast! Sugar goes crazy when running through the tall grass, so I can just imagine your three!
Sue (and Sugar)

Image
Lauren
Training Dog
Posts: 540
Joined: Thu Jul 21, 2011 11:29 pm
Tell us about yourself: I am a wife, mother of 2 kids, 3 cats, 1 Standard Poodle (10 yrs) and Xena, a Dutch Shepherd Puppy.

Re: Just a day in the weeds

Post by Lauren »

CaroleBoaz wrote: I always start the puppies with off leash walks with the older dogs, and we do it every weekend. Then they don't think it's anything special.
Are the older dogs on leash when you do that? What happens if you bump into other dogs, does everyone handle it well? I don't really know of many places around here that even allow off lead dogs, so if i let them go I am worried that I could get into real trouble... :?
Lauren from Western NC
CaroleBoaz
Training Dog
Posts: 592
Joined: Wed Oct 19, 2011 2:52 am
Tell us about yourself: I am currently the Secretary and Treasurer of the Dutch Shepherd Club of North America. We are the national breed club for Dutch Shepherds, and have the support of the Nederlandse Herdershonden Club in our endeavours to record the Dutch Shepherd breed in the United States and Canada through the American Kennel Club. dscna.com Join us on Facebook.
Contact:

Re: Just a day in the weeds

Post by CaroleBoaz »

The older dogs are not on leash. They all started as puppies walking with an older dog. They are also trained to come when I call. If I see anything or anybody that could be a problem, I call all the dogs and leash them. When puppies are young, they tend to follow the older dogs and do what they do. Eventually, they learn the routine.

I look for places where I can take my dogs where there isn't anybody else around so we can all have fun. I like this new place I found with all the weeds. It's on the edge of town near an industrial park. And there are a lot of good smells there.

When I take them to my office, it's on Sunday and I usually don't run into anybody, and never any off leash dogs. Sometimes the cops drive by. When they do, I call everybody over for a sit stay practice, and the cops don't seem to mind. I have found that cops tend to leave you alone if it's clear that the dogs are trained. I practice the sit stays with the dogs 2 or 3 times whenever we go out for walks, so it's pretty routine for them. Training is always incorporated with something fun.

Here is Boaz's web page. http://clgoetz.8m.com/dogs/boaz/index.htm The 5 photos between the "6 months old" and "4 months old" titles are taken at my office. He is running and swimming with the 2 older dogs. The fluffy boy, Balto, is the leader, so if I call Balto over, all the dogs come with him. If Balto is too flighty for some reason. I can leash him, and the other two dogs will walk with us and not wander.
CaroleBoaz
Training Dog
Posts: 592
Joined: Wed Oct 19, 2011 2:52 am
Tell us about yourself: I am currently the Secretary and Treasurer of the Dutch Shepherd Club of North America. We are the national breed club for Dutch Shepherds, and have the support of the Nederlandse Herdershonden Club in our endeavours to record the Dutch Shepherd breed in the United States and Canada through the American Kennel Club. dscna.com Join us on Facebook.
Contact:

Re: Just a day in the weeds

Post by CaroleBoaz »

I also make sure I don't go where there are any deer. I had to abandon one of my favorite parks because I saw a herd of deer moving along the treeline. It was also becoming too popular with other dog owners, and the park police were doing more patrolling for off-leash dogs.
User avatar
alspyce
Working Dog
Posts: 1222
Joined: Wed Mar 23, 2011 5:51 pm
Tell us about yourself: I am in New York State. Got my first DS about 14 years ago (more or less as a rescue- lost her in Nov.). After years of GSD's, and a few dogs of other breeds (Rotti/Beauceron/Ger. Shorthaired Pointer/ Yorkie and my current Jack Russell) I now have another DS, 4mo female, no name yet, tho I have a few in mind.
Also have a horse-old quarter horse mare-32.
Can't wait for all the snow to get gone! Spring is coming too slow this year!
Location: Corinth, New York

Re: Just a day in the weeds

Post by alspyce »

Great shots!
"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened." Anatole France
Chris Carlton/Lyric
Post Reply