Hi from Alabama!
-
bamacop
- Just Whelped
- Posts: 6
- Joined: Tue May 22, 2012 10:25 pm
- Tell us about yourself: Hi! Just acquired my first Dutch Shepherd, a 4 month old boy named Kato. I'm a full time police officer/part time paramedic in a small city in Alabama. I've also got a tiny little mini Australian Shepherd girl named Dixie.
Hi from Alabama!
Just wanted to introduce myself. My name is Rita, and I'm a police officer in a small city in Alabama. I'm also a paramedic (did that full time for a few years, now just part time). I've got two "kids", a mini Australian Shepherd named Dixie. She's a year and a half old, and I've had her since she was a tiny pup. My most recent addition is Kato. He's a 4 month old Dutch Shepherd. I acquired him from kind of a weird situation, and I've got a ton of questions, but I'll save that for another thread. Anyways, looking forward to meeting y'all 
Rita and her two "kids", Kato (Dutch Shepherd) and Dixie (mini Australian Shepherd)
- felixone123
- Working Dog
- Posts: 1076
- Joined: Tue Aug 09, 2011 7:08 pm
- Tell us about yourself: Rescued our first DS male on Dec 27, 2011. Approx 4 yrs. Rescued from NADSR. His name is Odin. Adopted a 2nd DS from NADSR June 27, 2012. Kai - 6 months.
- Location: Fishkill, NY
Re: Hi from Alabama!
hello and welcome!! don't forget to post some pics of your new baby!!
Barbara, Odin & Kai
-
leih merigian
- Working Dog
- Posts: 1960
- Joined: Wed Jun 30, 2010 3:20 pm
- Tell us about yourself: Had a GSD, am getting a DS puppy in a few weeks. Compete in agility, obedience, and cross train in tons of stuff. Found out about this site from the DS Rescue yahoo list.
Re: Hi from Alabama!
Hi Rita! Love the name Kato!
You've gotta tell us about the weird situation, yano
(oops! Just saw that you did so in another thread...going to read it...)
You've gotta tell us about the weird situation, yano
leih merigian
Vrijheid's H'Geyser
Zodiac vom Younghaus (over the bridge)
Central VA (near Charlottesville)
It's never too late to have a happy childhood...
Vrijheid's H'Geyser
Zodiac vom Younghaus (over the bridge)
Central VA (near Charlottesville)
It's never too late to have a happy childhood...
-
bamacop
- Just Whelped
- Posts: 6
- Joined: Tue May 22, 2012 10:25 pm
- Tell us about yourself: Hi! Just acquired my first Dutch Shepherd, a 4 month old boy named Kato. I'm a full time police officer/part time paramedic in a small city in Alabama. I've also got a tiny little mini Australian Shepherd girl named Dixie.
Re: Hi from Alabama!
Long story short (the "longer" story is posted in "whatever"), I've got an approximately 4 month old Dutch Shepherd puppy who has not been socialized. At all. He was afraid of people when I first met him (the first puppy I've ever met who tried to get as far away from me as possible when I first met him). He was chained up to a fence at the "trainer" (the guy I purchased him from), with a piece of plywood for a doghouse. The breeder had not even played with him, brought him inside, or introduced him to people. He didn't even know what to do do with a dog toy when I brought him home. I had to keep him outside for the first two days, because he was so afraid of being inside that he simply cowered in the furthest corner of a hallway and completely shut down. He's doing much better now, though....
Rita and her two "kids", Kato (Dutch Shepherd) and Dixie (mini Australian Shepherd)
-
leih merigian
- Working Dog
- Posts: 1960
- Joined: Wed Jun 30, 2010 3:20 pm
- Tell us about yourself: Had a GSD, am getting a DS puppy in a few weeks. Compete in agility, obedience, and cross train in tons of stuff. Found out about this site from the DS Rescue yahoo list.
Re: Hi from Alabama!
Sounds like he's already well on his way!bamacop wrote: He's doing much better now, though....
leih merigian
Vrijheid's H'Geyser
Zodiac vom Younghaus (over the bridge)
Central VA (near Charlottesville)
It's never too late to have a happy childhood...
Vrijheid's H'Geyser
Zodiac vom Younghaus (over the bridge)
Central VA (near Charlottesville)
It's never too late to have a happy childhood...
- alspyce
- Working Dog
- Posts: 1222
- Joined: Wed Mar 23, 2011 5:51 pm
- Tell us about yourself: I am in New York State. Got my first DS about 14 years ago (more or less as a rescue- lost her in Nov.). After years of GSD's, and a few dogs of other breeds (Rotti/Beauceron/Ger. Shorthaired Pointer/ Yorkie and my current Jack Russell) I now have another DS, 4mo female, no name yet, tho I have a few in mind.
Also have a horse-old quarter horse mare-32.
Can't wait for all the snow to get gone! Spring is coming too slow this year! - Location: Corinth, New York
Re: Hi from Alabama!
Welcome!
"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened." Anatole France
Chris Carlton/Lyric
Chris Carlton/Lyric
- Dutchringgirl
- Global Moderator

- Posts: 5692
- Joined: Sat Feb 12, 2011 3:05 pm
- Tell us about yourself: I am a mom of 6 life forces - 2 kids and 3 dogs 1 hamster. I live in Ct. I have trained Ringsport and Agility and have 2 DS, one 15 and 7 and a Basset Hound Cookie who is 2
- Location: Ct, USA
-
CaroleBoaz
- Training Dog
- Posts: 592
- Joined: Wed Oct 19, 2011 2:52 am
- Tell us about yourself: I am currently the Secretary and Treasurer of the Dutch Shepherd Club of North America. We are the national breed club for Dutch Shepherds, and have the support of the Nederlandse Herdershonden Club in our endeavours to record the Dutch Shepherd breed in the United States and Canada through the American Kennel Club. dscna.com Join us on Facebook.
- Contact:
Re: Hi from Alabama!
Welcome! (I read your other story first.)
-
GSDNanny
- Training Dog
- Posts: 615
- Joined: Wed Jul 07, 2010 4:13 pm
- Tell us about yourself: Dogs are my life, what can I say. GSDs primarily for nearly 50 years til bringing in my first DutchShep about 4 years ago. GSD rescue for 9 yrs, nearly 200 thru my home, rehabbed, adopted out. Been involved in AKC ob, herding, tracking, agility; Schutzhund-DVG; scent detection (HR-water)&narcotics, some patrol work. Mostly herding training at present on my little farm.
Re: Hi from Alabama!
Welcome! I too have a mini-Aussie red merle, Chex, my buddy who goes nearly everywhere I go. Good luck with your DS pup, Kato!
Denise Gatlin & Zip, Shooter & the K9 crew
Livin' in the deep south - Louisiana
- vneerland
- Global Moderator

- Posts: 1547
- Joined: Sat Jun 19, 2010 10:10 pm
- Tell us about yourself: *
- Location: Tex@s
- Marjolein
- Working Dog
- Posts: 2078
- Joined: Sun Jul 11, 2010 7:17 pm
- Tell us about yourself: I'm a Dutchie myself ;-) but live in Germany with Johan and my two DS's Cobber-Dingo and Knivil (Dingo and Ivil to friends...)
- Location: Warbeyen, Germany
- Contact:


Facebook page.

Judith Van Neerland Dutch Shepherds 
