Hello from Texas
-
raven07
- Just Whelped
- Posts: 2
- Joined: Fri Aug 03, 2012 7:27 pm
- Tell us about yourself: Interested in getting a Dutch Shepherd, trying to learn more about the breed. Previously had a Rottweiler for 13 years who passed from old age recently. Feel that Rottweilers don't do well in the heat down here. Just moved to Texas so looking for breeders in Texas or nearby states.
Hello from Texas
Moved to DFW area recently and interested in getting a Dutch Shepherd. Not interested in showing just want a pet, something to be my active buddy on my horse farm and going to horse shows as well as hiking and agility for fun. Just trying to find out more about the breed, admire them for their intelligence. Had a Rottweiler for 13 years who passed from old age recently. Feel that another Rottweiler would not do well here in the Texas heat.Also wondering how Dutch Shepherds do in fenced yards after watching videos of them being able to go over any obstacle? Or do you stay outside with them while you let them out?
Joanna B.
- icvanstra
- Working Dog
- Posts: 1153
- Joined: Fri Aug 22, 2008 1:33 am
- Tell us about yourself: .
- Location: Broad Ripple - the coolest part of Indianapolis - sometimes Amersfoort
Re: Hello from Texas
Welcome to the forum Joanna!
Keeping your dog in the yard I think is more of an individual issue than breed.
Cino is more than capable of leaping over the fence and not touch it ... but he doesn't. His preference is to squeeze through the space between the gate pole and the garage.
I'm drawing a blank on the rescue's name, but she would leap my fence run into the neighbors yard and then scale their neighbors six foot fence.
Other rescues were super content to just chill in the back yard.
Keeping your dog in the yard I think is more of an individual issue than breed.
Cino is more than capable of leaping over the fence and not touch it ... but he doesn't. His preference is to squeeze through the space between the gate pole and the garage.
I'm drawing a blank on the rescue's name, but she would leap my fence run into the neighbors yard and then scale their neighbors six foot fence.
Other rescues were super content to just chill in the back yard.
Eric
- - Cino vom Foxtal
- Abigail NORML de Weijer (over the bridge)
- Hannah the DS wanna be (over the bridge)
-
jjohnsice
- Puppy
- Posts: 38
- Joined: Fri Aug 03, 2012 11:50 pm
- Tell us about yourself: jsut lost my maggie p of 14 yrs, never knew what breed she was until someone on a degenerative mylthopia noticed her pics and told me what she was. the most loyal, intelligent, athleic, loving dog a person could ever ask for.
- Location: Little Rock,AR
- Contact:
Re: Hello from Texas
My dutch jsut became a neighborhood dog, would never stay in the fence, but she got along so well with everyone nobody complained.. in fact she would door knock and vist with our neighbor friends on her own.. i sure miss my baby girl.
john h
the departed maggie p
the departed maggie p
-
raven07
- Just Whelped
- Posts: 2
- Joined: Fri Aug 03, 2012 7:27 pm
- Tell us about yourself: Interested in getting a Dutch Shepherd, trying to learn more about the breed. Previously had a Rottweiler for 13 years who passed from old age recently. Feel that Rottweilers don't do well in the heat down here. Just moved to Texas so looking for breeders in Texas or nearby states.
Re: Hello from Texas
I am just worried because I live in a ranching community so people tend to shoot dogs that are loose unfortunately because they are worried about their livestock. I guess just something I would have to keep a watch on when not in the house.
Joanna B.
- vneerland
- Global Moderator

- Posts: 1547
- Joined: Sat Jun 19, 2010 10:10 pm
- Tell us about yourself: *
- Location: Tex@s
Re: Hello from Texas
Welcome Johanna.raven07 wrote:I am just worried because I live in a ranching community so people tend to shoot dogs that are loose unfortunately because they are worried about their livestock. I guess just something I would have to keep a watch on when not in the house.
I do not believe in letting dogs just hang around and if they stay in the yard, great, if not oops. That's too rural a way of thinking for me, even though I do live in the (TX) sticks. Way too many thing for a high drive dog to be able to get into. I would shudder to think what many of mine would do if someone kicked at them, wanting to run them off. I feel confident my liability insurance would not cover the results.
So, I keep an eye on them, even the old pro's who make excellent companions in a loose setting. Nobody gets allowed to roam with me not out there as well, and I see no reason for them to either. I maintain control, by means of adequately fenced enclosure or my presence, and me counting noses too, calling the ones that may have strayed off even when I walk them (loose) in the woods.
Judith Van Neerland Dutch Shepherds 
- vneerland
- Global Moderator

- Posts: 1547
- Joined: Sat Jun 19, 2010 10:10 pm
- Tell us about yourself: *
- Location: Tex@s
Re: Hello from Texas
JJohn. I don't believe you have introduced yourself yet? Would you be kind enough to do so in a new subject in this new member section?jjohnsice wrote:My dutch jsut became a neighborhood dog, would never stay in the fence, but she got along so well with everyone nobody complained.. in fact she would door knock and vist with our neighbor friends on her own.. i sure miss my baby girl.
Judith Van Neerland Dutch Shepherds 
- Marjolein
- Working Dog
- Posts: 2078
- Joined: Sun Jul 11, 2010 7:17 pm
- Tell us about yourself: I'm a Dutchie myself ;-) but live in Germany with Johan and my two DS's Cobber-Dingo and Knivil (Dingo and Ivil to friends...)
- Location: Warbeyen, Germany
- Contact:
- alspyce
- Working Dog
- Posts: 1222
- Joined: Wed Mar 23, 2011 5:51 pm
- Tell us about yourself: I am in New York State. Got my first DS about 14 years ago (more or less as a rescue- lost her in Nov.). After years of GSD's, and a few dogs of other breeds (Rotti/Beauceron/Ger. Shorthaired Pointer/ Yorkie and my current Jack Russell) I now have another DS, 4mo female, no name yet, tho I have a few in mind.
Also have a horse-old quarter horse mare-32.
Can't wait for all the snow to get gone! Spring is coming too slow this year! - Location: Corinth, New York
Re: Hello from Texas
Welcome.
I believe that leashes, fences, and training make for good neighbor relationships.
Most good breeders are going to ask if you have a secure yard, and I believe the rescue folks also require it.
I believe that leashes, fences, and training make for good neighbor relationships.
Most good breeders are going to ask if you have a secure yard, and I believe the rescue folks also require it.
"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened." Anatole France
Chris Carlton/Lyric
Chris Carlton/Lyric
-
leih merigian
- Working Dog
- Posts: 1960
- Joined: Wed Jun 30, 2010 3:20 pm
- Tell us about yourself: Had a GSD, am getting a DS puppy in a few weeks. Compete in agility, obedience, and cross train in tons of stuff. Found out about this site from the DS Rescue yahoo list.
Re: Hello from Texas
Welcome, and I have to vote with those who believe in supervising their dogs. Stray dogs that show up on my property is one of my pet peeves
...and I'd never leave my dog up to any kind of chance.
I used to know a woman in TN who had a bunch of dogs, all untrained hooligans. They were allowed free range on her large rural property. When one of them would get hit on the road (two lane highway, with 55 MPH speed limit), she'd get pissed at the drivers, not her dogs or herself. She'd even put signs up telling people to slow down and not hit her dogs.
I used to know a woman in TN who had a bunch of dogs, all untrained hooligans. They were allowed free range on her large rural property. When one of them would get hit on the road (two lane highway, with 55 MPH speed limit), she'd get pissed at the drivers, not her dogs or herself. She'd even put signs up telling people to slow down and not hit her dogs.
leih merigian
Vrijheid's H'Geyser
Zodiac vom Younghaus (over the bridge)
Central VA (near Charlottesville)
It's never too late to have a happy childhood...
Vrijheid's H'Geyser
Zodiac vom Younghaus (over the bridge)
Central VA (near Charlottesville)
It's never too late to have a happy childhood...


Facebook page.
