We just added Riddick to our family last week. He was born in Wyoming to a working family. Duel purpose I think is what his parents were into. He joined us at 8 weeks of age, and has showed us impressive drive and is so far learning faster than me !
We have a GSD that was a family dog with a long list of genetic problems. We bought him from a breeder in Glenallen Alaska. He is 12 Y/O and is going to be passing the protect the family duty down to Riddick.
I'm looking forward to digging through the posts in this forum and wanted to thank everybody in advance for all the information shared here.
Norm Dahl
Norm and Amy Dahl
Kylan and Morgan ~ two legged kids
RIP ~ Riddick
New Lady is, Charlie.
Tell us about yourself: I am in New York State. Got my first DS about 14 years ago (more or less as a rescue- lost her in Nov.). After years of GSD's, and a few dogs of other breeds (Rotti/Beauceron/Ger. Shorthaired Pointer/ Yorkie and my current Jack Russell) I now have another DS, 4mo female, no name yet, tho I have a few in mind. Also have a horse-old quarter horse mare-32. Can't wait for all the snow to get gone! Spring is coming too slow this year!
Tell us about yourself: Had a GSD, am getting a DS puppy in a few weeks. Compete in agility, obedience, and cross train in tons of stuff. Found out about this site from the DS Rescue yahoo list.
What a cutie! Can't wait to hear more about him (love puppy stories... )
leih merigian
Vrijheid's H'Geyser
Zodiac vom Younghaus (over the bridge)
Central VA (near Charlottesville)
It's never too late to have a happy childhood...
Tell us about yourself: Rescued our first DS male on Dec 27, 2011. Approx 4 yrs. Rescued from NADSR. His name is Odin. Adopted a 2nd DS from NADSR June 27, 2012. Kai - 6 months.
Tell us about yourself: I adopted a Dutch Shepherd mix (without knowing what she was) from the SPCA here in Victoria BC and am now trying to learn everything I can about this breed. My husband and I work from home most of the time so I thought it was time to get a puppy! We have his 2 boys here half the time and we wanted a nice family dog.
Sugar looks like a miniature Dutch Shepherd with floppy ears, and has every ounce of DS traits in her little body!
I hope to learn from other DS owners and share doggy experiences.
Tell us about yourself: Artist, Mother, Equestrienne, Educator, Homesteader wannabe, dog-lover. Not counting my current DS, I have had 2 GSDs and 3 rescued mixed-breeds. All of these dogs were rescues, except for my childhood GSD, who was a gift from my parents when I was 7, and my current DS who I bartered artwork for from the breeder. Maiyou, one of my current dogs, is a Pitbull/New Guinea Singing Dog of 13 years old. Still very active and "Young" in nature. I now also have a DS named Mokume, (pronounced "Moh-koo-meh") or "Moko" for short. Newest member of our pack is Freyja, a random mixed hound I rescued during a horseback trip in the middle of a state forest.
Riddick! I like it! (As in, "Pitch Black"/ "Chronicles of Riddick" yes? Or his name totally unrelated to the character Vin Diesel played in the movies? *grin*)
How is your elder GSD adapting to his new protege? (I too, have a 12 year old dog and am on the cusp of getting a DS puppy.)
Autumn Dufresne
"If you talk to the animals they will talk with you and you will know each other. If you do not talk to them you will not know them, and what you do not know, you will fear. What one fears, one destroys." ~Chief Dan George