Hi from Idaho!

For our new members to introduce themselves
Post Reply
JollyRoger
Just Whelped
Posts: 11
Joined: Fri Sep 07, 2012 8:58 am
Tell us about yourself: I'm a Soldier who discovered the beauty of the Dutch Shepherd while deployed overseas. As soon as I got home I found an awesome DS puppy to call my own and we've been keeping each other busy ever since. She is now 15 months old and a great deal of fun. We spend tons of time hiking, walking, playing ball and have recently started some obstacle training to give her active mind and body new challenges.

Hi from Idaho!

Post by JollyRoger »

Hey everyone, my name is Evan and I just discovered this forum while searching for a new breeder to get a second pup. I have always loved the look of shepherds and other working style dogs starting mostly with GSDs (because that was most popular and what I had been around). While deployed overseas (Army) I had the opportunity to see lots of Malinois working and instantly fell in love with them. Only once did I see a Dutch Shepherd but that's all it took. Like I'm sure many of you here would agree, the brindles, mask, great and lively expression and strong confident stance had me in love. After doing more research I discovered the temperment and more of the standard of the DS...there was no turning back. My wife and I decided we were at a point in our lives where we could provide a good home for a dog (ok, I told her I desperately wanted/needed a dog when I came home) :).

After two months of research, and finally arriving home we found a breeder that happened to have puppies available. As it turned out, Andraste (ann-Draw-sta) flew out to us on my birthday. :D She is now 15 months old and as awesome as ever. Her and I have been on a solid routine of daily walks, fetch, obedience, and some obstacle work ever since.

After browsing around the threads for a bit I hope I can share some of my stories and learn from the vast knowledge many of you have regarding the Dutch's. We are hoping to get another pup, a male this time, sometime in the spring. I would like go with a different breeder this time and know a bit more what to look for but will definitely be seeking everyone's expertise.
Attachments
Andraste after a swim.
Andraste after a swim.
IMG_0484-1 (800x600).jpg (402.73 KiB) Viewed 2011 times
Evan - Best friend and father figure to Andraste, my 4yr old female DS and Homer (GSD)
leih merigian
Working Dog
Posts: 1960
Joined: Wed Jun 30, 2010 3:20 pm
Tell us about yourself: Had a GSD, am getting a DS puppy in a few weeks. Compete in agility, obedience, and cross train in tons of stuff. Found out about this site from the DS Rescue yahoo list.

Re: Hi from Idaho!

Post by leih merigian »

Hi Evan and welcome!

Glad you found us...nice pic of your beautiful dog!
leih merigian
Vrijheid's H'Geyser
Zodiac vom Younghaus (over the bridge)
Central VA (near Charlottesville)
It's never too late to have a happy childhood...
User avatar
felixone123
Working Dog
Posts: 1076
Joined: Tue Aug 09, 2011 7:08 pm
Tell us about yourself: Rescued our first DS male on Dec 27, 2011. Approx 4 yrs. Rescued from NADSR. His name is Odin. Adopted a 2nd DS from NADSR June 27, 2012. Kai - 6 months.
Location: Fishkill, NY

Re: Hi from Idaho!

Post by felixone123 »

welcome!! beautiful dog!
Barbara, Odin & Kai
User avatar
Dutchringgirl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Posts: 5692
Joined: Sat Feb 12, 2011 3:05 pm
Tell us about yourself: I am a mom of 6 life forces - 2 kids and 3 dogs 1 hamster. I live in Ct. I have trained Ringsport and Agility and have 2 DS, one 15 and 7 and a Basset Hound Cookie who is 2
Location: Ct, USA

Re: Hi from Idaho!

Post by Dutchringgirl »

She is beautiful, look at that loooong nose.
Lisa, Thalie CGC & Sadie, Cookie the Basset, CT
ImageImage
User avatar
Marjolein
Working Dog
Posts: 2078
Joined: Sun Jul 11, 2010 7:17 pm
Tell us about yourself: I'm a Dutchie myself ;-) but live in Germany with Johan and my two DS's Cobber-Dingo and Knivil (Dingo and Ivil to friends...)
Location: Warbeyen, Germany
Contact:

Re: Hi from Idaho!

Post by Marjolein »

Welcome :)
I'm totally curious where your dog comes from? :mrgreen:
Image
User avatar
Schlussdibusti
Working Dog
Posts: 1040
Joined: Mon Jun 13, 2011 6:25 pm
Tell us about yourself: I adopted a DS

Re: Hi from Idaho!

Post by Schlussdibusti »

Welcome :wave:
Eva & Marco BH
Jupiter, Florida
User avatar
alspyce
Working Dog
Posts: 1222
Joined: Wed Mar 23, 2011 5:51 pm
Tell us about yourself: I am in New York State. Got my first DS about 14 years ago (more or less as a rescue- lost her in Nov.). After years of GSD's, and a few dogs of other breeds (Rotti/Beauceron/Ger. Shorthaired Pointer/ Yorkie and my current Jack Russell) I now have another DS, 4mo female, no name yet, tho I have a few in mind.
Also have a horse-old quarter horse mare-32.
Can't wait for all the snow to get gone! Spring is coming too slow this year!
Location: Corinth, New York

Re: Hi from Idaho!

Post by alspyce »

welcome!
"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened." Anatole France
Chris Carlton/Lyric
JollyRoger
Just Whelped
Posts: 11
Joined: Fri Sep 07, 2012 8:58 am
Tell us about yourself: I'm a Soldier who discovered the beauty of the Dutch Shepherd while deployed overseas. As soon as I got home I found an awesome DS puppy to call my own and we've been keeping each other busy ever since. She is now 15 months old and a great deal of fun. We spend tons of time hiking, walking, playing ball and have recently started some obstacle training to give her active mind and body new challenges.

Re: Hi from Idaho!

Post by JollyRoger »

Thanks everybody! I could probably look at pics of all your pups for most of the day....some great looking dogs here!

Marjolein, Andraste comes from Oklahoma from what I've recently discovered is a quite unpopular breeder here. Please dont crucify me, at the time they were the only ones I could find that had puppies available. I only knew I wanted a pure DS...any certifications, FCI, KNPV, etc didnt mean much but looked decent on her resume to an untrained eye. Only when searching in the last few weeks for a good place to get a male from did I discover all the other places that appear to have great dogs.

:)
Evan - Best friend and father figure to Andraste, my 4yr old female DS and Homer (GSD)
Post Reply