New Member
-
kansky1
- Just Whelped
- Posts: 1
- Joined: Fri Nov 16, 2012 3:43 am
- Tell us about yourself: We recently had to put down our 7-1/2 year old Dutch Shepherd, Loki, due to a fast and ugly cancer. We also have a 6 year old rescued Golden Retriever, and a 12 year old, three-legged, one-eyed Rat Terrier, who miss their friend. We love Dutch Shepherds. Beyond beautiful, they are smart, friendly, energetic, loving and funny. We miss our girl so much and would love to take in another rescue. We are in our late 50's - early 60's and are very active. Our dogs go snowshoeing with us, as well as hiking, walking, traveling all over, camping and just "chillin".
New Member
Hello, from Lakewood, Colorado. My name is Lynn. We have owned a Dutch Shepherd for 6 years. Our Loki was a rescue, taken in and healed by by Max Fund in 2007. I have owned several dogs but never one quite as beautiful, intelligent, gentle, friendly, energetic and funny as Loki. We recently had to release Loki to cross the Rainbow Bridge as she had a vicious, fast cancer (managiosarcoma). We are thinking of bringing another Dutch Shepherd rescue into our home. Our 6 year old Golden Retriever, and 12 year old, three-legged, one-eyed Fox Terrier (inherritted) miss Loki as much as we do.
- Attachments
-
- Loki
- photo-28.JPG (109.99 KiB) Viewed 2842 times
- icvanstra
- Working Dog
- Posts: 1153
- Joined: Fri Aug 22, 2008 1:33 am
- Tell us about yourself: .
- Location: Broad Ripple - the coolest part of Indianapolis - sometimes Amersfoort
Re: New Member
Welcome to the forum!
Eric
- - Cino vom Foxtal
- Abigail NORML de Weijer (over the bridge)
- Hannah the DS wanna be (over the bridge)
-
Sugars Mom
- Working Dog
- Posts: 1734
- Joined: Thu Mar 03, 2011 12:16 am
- Tell us about yourself: I adopted a Dutch Shepherd mix (without knowing what she was) from the SPCA here in Victoria BC and am now trying to learn everything I can about this breed. My husband and I work from home most of the time so I thought it was time to get a puppy! We have his 2 boys here half the time and we wanted a nice family dog.
Sugar looks like a miniature Dutch Shepherd with floppy ears, and has every ounce of DS traits in her little body!
I hope to learn from other DS owners and share doggy experiences. - Location: Victoria BC
Re: New Member
Welcome and she sure is a beauty! I'm so sorry for your loss
Do you have a specific DS rescue in mind, or thinking in general to rescue as DS?
Do you have a specific DS rescue in mind, or thinking in general to rescue as DS?
Sue (and Sugar)

- felixone123
- Working Dog
- Posts: 1076
- Joined: Tue Aug 09, 2011 7:08 pm
- Tell us about yourself: Rescued our first DS male on Dec 27, 2011. Approx 4 yrs. Rescued from NADSR. His name is Odin. Adopted a 2nd DS from NADSR June 27, 2012. Kai - 6 months.
- Location: Fishkill, NY
Re: New Member
Beautiful Loki - may you have sweet dreams forever!! So sorry for your loss.
Welcome and both of ours are rescues from NADSR!! They rock!!
Welcome and both of ours are rescues from NADSR!! They rock!!
Barbara, Odin & Kai
-
leih merigian
- Working Dog
- Posts: 1960
- Joined: Wed Jun 30, 2010 3:20 pm
- Tell us about yourself: Had a GSD, am getting a DS puppy in a few weeks. Compete in agility, obedience, and cross train in tons of stuff. Found out about this site from the DS Rescue yahoo list.
Re: New Member
Welcome!
leih merigian
Vrijheid's H'Geyser
Zodiac vom Younghaus (over the bridge)
Central VA (near Charlottesville)
It's never too late to have a happy childhood...
Vrijheid's H'Geyser
Zodiac vom Younghaus (over the bridge)
Central VA (near Charlottesville)
It's never too late to have a happy childhood...
- feraloup
- Training Dog
- Posts: 352
- Joined: Thu Oct 18, 2012 6:45 pm
- Tell us about yourself: Artist, Mother, Equestrienne, Educator, Homesteader wannabe, dog-lover. Not counting my current DS, I have had 2 GSDs and 3 rescued mixed-breeds. All of these dogs were rescues, except for my childhood GSD, who was a gift from my parents when I was 7, and my current DS who I bartered artwork for from the breeder. Maiyou, one of my current dogs, is a Pitbull/New Guinea Singing Dog of 13 years old. Still very active and "Young" in nature. I now also have a DS named Mokume, (pronounced "Moh-koo-meh") or "Moko" for short. Newest member of our pack is Freyja, a random mixed hound I rescued during a horseback trip in the middle of a state forest.
- Location: VT
Re: New Member
Welcome! Loki was a gorgeous creature. I'm looking to acquire my first dutch shepherd soon, and have found the folks on this board are a wonderful source of information, camaraderie, and fun.
Look forward to hearing more from you!
Autumn Dufresne
"If you talk to the animals they will talk with you and you will know each other. If you do not talk to them you will not know them, and what you do not know, you will fear. What one fears, one destroys." ~Chief Dan George
"If you talk to the animals they will talk with you and you will know each other. If you do not talk to them you will not know them, and what you do not know, you will fear. What one fears, one destroys." ~Chief Dan George
- Marjolein
- Working Dog
- Posts: 2078
- Joined: Sun Jul 11, 2010 7:17 pm
- Tell us about yourself: I'm a Dutchie myself ;-) but live in Germany with Johan and my two DS's Cobber-Dingo and Knivil (Dingo and Ivil to friends...)
- Location: Warbeyen, Germany
- Contact:
- wahinelf
- Green Dog
- Posts: 246
- Joined: Fri Dec 03, 2010 6:18 am
- Tell us about yourself: I recently moved from CA to MA (10/12), Ellie (my 4 year old DS mix) and I are adjusting together!
- Location: Boston, MA
- Contact:
Re: New Member
Loki was beautiful! I'm so glad you found us here, but I'm so sad for your loss.
-Aubrey

Eleanor CGC FM TF-II, my 5YO DSX

Eleanor CGC FM TF-II, my 5YO DSX
- Nordis
- Puppy
- Posts: 56
- Joined: Mon Nov 12, 2012 4:04 pm
- Tell us about yourself: Hello everyone!
I enjoy my online anonymity. I'm open about most everything though many parts of my private life I prefer to keep private. If I’ve not offered particular areas of information it’s usually because I don’t feel it’s relevant to the situation. I tend to quietly monitor and observe, offering input when I feel I have something important to share and if I feel strongly about something. I don’t hesitate to ask questions if I don’t understand something, regardless of how it may appear to others that I might be a simpleton. Once I get started talking though, I tend to talk a lot, so you've been warned about that!
Please do not take this as anything more than what it is, a desire for privacy. I am not intending to offend or be rude.
Much Peace to all of you, naked and furry. - Location: Currently stationed on planet Earth, Sol system.
Re: New Member
Welcome kansky1, I hope your search is short and rewarding. My heart is with you. Much Peace to you all.
Nordis & Rorhin!
Honoring my brothers in fur, passed and present.
“I think dogs are the most amazing creatures; they give unconditional love. For me they are the role model for being alive.” ~ Gilda Radner
Honoring my brothers in fur, passed and present.
“I think dogs are the most amazing creatures; they give unconditional love. For me they are the role model for being alive.” ~ Gilda Radner
- cake73
- Moderator

- Posts: 331
- Joined: Wed Jul 07, 2010 10:23 pm
- Tell us about yourself: I live in Metro-West Boston with my husband and our rescued Dutch Shepherd, Minnie. She loves anything involving activity. Our first rescued DS, Kaya, loved to tug. Our second rescued DS (who actually turned out to be a GSDx), Marley, loved to nap. I volunteer for the North American Dutch Shepherd Rescue and am a member of the NADSR BOD.
- Contact:
Re: New Member
{{{Lynn & Loki}}}
Thank you for sharing that beautiful photo!
Thank you for sharing that beautiful photo!
Cheryl in MA, with rescued DS
Kaya, adopted January 2006 (over the bridge, September 2014)
Marley, adopted February 2008
Minnie, adopted March 2015
North American Dutch Shepherd Rescue
https://www.facebook.com/NADSR.DSRescue
Kaya, adopted January 2006 (over the bridge, September 2014)
Marley, adopted February 2008
Minnie, adopted March 2015
North American Dutch Shepherd Rescue
https://www.facebook.com/NADSR.DSRescue
- LyonsFamily
- Training Dog
- Posts: 947
- Joined: Mon Feb 27, 2012 3:08 am
- Tell us about yourself: Odin 5 years
Elli 5 years - Location: Michigan
- Contact:
Re: New Member
Welcome to the board! Loki looks like a beautiful lady. I highly recommend NADSR as well. Even if they don't have a dog for you or in your area, they cross post all the time for other rescues as well. My boy was a courtesy posting on their facebook page.
Stephanie
'Odin' NV PTA Odin of Another Kingdom RL1
'Elli' Drawing Our Own Constellations RL1 CGC CGCA
'Odin' NV PTA Odin of Another Kingdom RL1
'Elli' Drawing Our Own Constellations RL1 CGC CGCA
- Christie M
- Global Moderator

- Posts: 1279
- Joined: Wed Jun 30, 2010 10:03 pm
- Tell us about yourself: Love my striped beasts.
Re: New Member
Gorgeous dog for sure!
Thank you for posting an intro and telling us about your DS experience!
Please visit the User Control Panel and create a signature that includes your name. It is a great tool for us to remember who is who!
Welcome!
Thank you for posting an intro and telling us about your DS experience!
Please visit the User Control Panel and create a signature that includes your name. It is a great tool for us to remember who is who!
Welcome!
Christie Meyer
http://www.northwoodsk9.com
http://www.dutchshepherdrescue.org
http://www.thunderhawkcanine.com
Be proud of the things that you have taught your dog. Be humbled and grateful for all of the things that your dog has taught you. - Unknown
http://www.northwoodsk9.com
http://www.dutchshepherdrescue.org
http://www.thunderhawkcanine.com
Be proud of the things that you have taught your dog. Be humbled and grateful for all of the things that your dog has taught you. - Unknown
- vneerland
- Global Moderator

- Posts: 1547
- Joined: Sat Jun 19, 2010 10:10 pm
- Tell us about yourself: *
- Location: Tex@s
Re: New Member
Welcome Lynn. Sorry to hear of your loss. She was beautiful! Where was the picture taken? May I assume Colorado? (lovely back drop) 
Judith Van Neerland Dutch Shepherds 
-
debmac
- Puppy
- Posts: 25
- Joined: Wed Oct 31, 2012 6:16 pm
- Tell us about yourself: I recently adopted a 2 year old Dutch Shepherd rescue, Tess. She is my first Dutchie. I have always had German Shepherds and have trained and worked them as search and rescue dogs. My hope is that Tess will take this road also
- Location: Anamoose, ND
Re: New Member
Your Loki was beautiful- sorry for your loss. I recently lost the last in a long line of GSD's. I was lost- but adopted a female Dutch Shepherd a month ago. She is just a wonderful dog. Good luck with your search.
Deb
Deb
Deb McAvoy
Tess- DS
Echo- GSD
Rowdy - BC/BH
Knowing is not enough; we must apply.
Willing is not enough; we must do." ~Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Tess- DS
Echo- GSD
Rowdy - BC/BH
Knowing is not enough; we must apply.
Willing is not enough; we must do." ~Johann Wolfgang von Goethe



Facebook page.