Hello from Canada

For our new members to introduce themselves
Post Reply
User avatar
HeatherH
Green Dog
Posts: 182
Joined: Wed Oct 24, 2012 9:06 pm
Tell us about yourself: My name is Heather. My husband and I are empty nesters in or mid 40. We bought a 8 wk old ds from a breeder. We got the name buy a new neighbor. I bought thr dog because we both just putvthe last of or 3 dogs down. I had a dalmatian before I met my husband 4 yeats ago. The love of my life. Iove dogs that are smart and full of energy. I lve hiking but need yhe push. I am just learning alot about the new little guy, but I need more info.

Hello from Canada

Post by HeatherH »

Hi my name is Heather. My husband I have a 4 1/2 month old ds. Named Dutch. I am more familiar with dalmatians, but understand that both breeds are hi-energy and can be a bit stubborn I will probably use this forum more the my husband. I am usually on my cell so forgive any spelling mistake please. Both my husband and I have had dogs over the years. This will be first dog together.

Thx
Heather from Hamilton Ont.
Dutch- DS.
Pearl - cat
User avatar
icvanstra
Working Dog
Posts: 1153
Joined: Fri Aug 22, 2008 1:33 am
Tell us about yourself: .
Location: Broad Ripple - the coolest part of Indianapolis - sometimes Amersfoort

Re: Hello from Canada

Post by icvanstra »

Heather,

Welcome to the forum!
Eric
  • - Cino vom Foxtal
    - Abigail NORML de Weijer (over the bridge)
    - Hannah the DS wanna be (over the bridge)
User avatar
Choochi
Training Dog
Posts: 350
Joined: Sat Mar 05, 2011 4:16 pm
Tell us about yourself: Love dogs and training.
Location: Toronto, ON

Re: Hello from Canada

Post by Choochi »

Hi Heather!
Hello from Toronto :)

I certainly would not describe the Dutchies as being stubborn, if any thing they are extremely intelligent and can in some instances learn how to manipulate their in some cases less then bright human companions ;) Being high drive and determined to get what they want can probably add to creating the confused image of a stubborn dog. I think you will find your new boy/girl? to be a world of difference from your Dals.
Choochi
leih merigian
Working Dog
Posts: 1960
Joined: Wed Jun 30, 2010 3:20 pm
Tell us about yourself: Had a GSD, am getting a DS puppy in a few weeks. Compete in agility, obedience, and cross train in tons of stuff. Found out about this site from the DS Rescue yahoo list.

Re: Hello from Canada

Post by leih merigian »

Welcome, Heather!

Hope you and your spousal unit are good at being consistent with each other about your training and cues and such :mrgreen: .
leih merigian
Vrijheid's H'Geyser
Zodiac vom Younghaus (over the bridge)
Central VA (near Charlottesville)
It's never too late to have a happy childhood...
User avatar
LyonsFamily
Training Dog
Posts: 947
Joined: Mon Feb 27, 2012 3:08 am
Tell us about yourself: Odin 5 years
Elli 5 years
Location: Michigan
Contact:

Re: Hello from Canada

Post by LyonsFamily »

Welcome. It's definitely different raising a dog with a spouse. Do you have any children already? I think I lucked out a bit because I grew up with at least 3 dogs in the house at all times and my husband never had one, but was in the military and understands these dogs, so he had a lot of initial questions about raising one and we're on the same page now.

Odin loves to play off each of us. He knows if he really has to go to the bathroom he'll ask me, but if he wants to play outside and smell everything, my husband is more likely to not be as strict about getting back in. He gave up on trying to wake me up for breakfast, but since my husband's an early riser, when that first alarm goes off, Odin is wide awake and asking for food.
Stephanie
'Odin' NV PTA Odin of Another Kingdom RL1
'Elli' Drawing Our Own Constellations RL1 CGC CGCA
leih merigian
Working Dog
Posts: 1960
Joined: Wed Jun 30, 2010 3:20 pm
Tell us about yourself: Had a GSD, am getting a DS puppy in a few weeks. Compete in agility, obedience, and cross train in tons of stuff. Found out about this site from the DS Rescue yahoo list.

Re: Hello from Canada

Post by leih merigian »

LyonsFamily wrote:Odin loves to play off each of us. He knows if he really has to go to the bathroom he'll ask me, but if he wants to play outside and smell everything, my husband is more likely to not be as strict about getting back in. He gave up on trying to wake me up for breakfast, but since my husband's an early riser, when that first alarm goes off, Odin is wide awake and asking for food.
It's totally different in our house. I do 100% of everything with my girl, so while Geyser loves her dad, she doesn't ask him for anything or look to him for anything. Well, she does ask him if she can get up on the bed with me once he's up :mrgreen: (at least she asks :lol: ).

I have clients who are couples where both do the training. It's generally caused issues with the dogs, alas. It always makes me nuts :mrgreen: .
leih merigian
Vrijheid's H'Geyser
Zodiac vom Younghaus (over the bridge)
Central VA (near Charlottesville)
It's never too late to have a happy childhood...
User avatar
LyonsFamily
Training Dog
Posts: 947
Joined: Mon Feb 27, 2012 3:08 am
Tell us about yourself: Odin 5 years
Elli 5 years
Location: Michigan
Contact:

Re: Hello from Canada

Post by LyonsFamily »

leih merigian wrote:
I have clients who are couples where both do the training. It's generally caused issues with the dogs, alas. It always makes me nuts :mrgreen: .
That is frustrating. My husband generally stays away from the training, but he helps reinforce the rules and I have him do some obedience run-thrus occasionally just to make sure we stay consistent if he ever takes him for walks or anything. Odin is very much my dog, but by husband works from home and I'm always running everywhere with training and grooming, so he steps in a lot. They have a very interesting bond.

My MIL always asks for training advice but has 4 kids still at home. After the first few sessions I told her we couldn't achieve what she wanted because it was the kids' dog and none of them were on the same page training wise. Their dog has a whole bunch of problems, but they took it to Petsmart for training so it sits if you shake a treat jar!
Stephanie
'Odin' NV PTA Odin of Another Kingdom RL1
'Elli' Drawing Our Own Constellations RL1 CGC CGCA
Sugars Mom
Working Dog
Posts: 1734
Joined: Thu Mar 03, 2011 12:16 am
Tell us about yourself: I adopted a Dutch Shepherd mix (without knowing what she was) from the SPCA here in Victoria BC and am now trying to learn everything I can about this breed. My husband and I work from home most of the time so I thought it was time to get a puppy! We have his 2 boys here half the time and we wanted a nice family dog.

Sugar looks like a miniature Dutch Shepherd with floppy ears, and has every ounce of DS traits in her little body!

I hope to learn from other DS owners and share doggy experiences.
Location: Victoria BC

Re: Hello from Canada

Post by Sugars Mom »

leih merigian wrote: It's totally different in our house. I do 100% of everything with my girl, so while Geyser loves her dad, she doesn't ask him for anything or look to him for anything. Well, she does ask him if she can get up on the bed with me once he's up :mrgreen: (at least she asks :lol: ).
lol, thats just how it is in our house...right down to asking to go up on our bed. :lol:
Sue (and Sugar)

Image
leih merigian
Working Dog
Posts: 1960
Joined: Wed Jun 30, 2010 3:20 pm
Tell us about yourself: Had a GSD, am getting a DS puppy in a few weeks. Compete in agility, obedience, and cross train in tons of stuff. Found out about this site from the DS Rescue yahoo list.

Re: Hello from Canada

Post by leih merigian »

LyonsFamily wrote: Their dog has a whole bunch of problems, but they took it to Petsmart for training so it sits if you shake a treat jar!
:lol: :lol: :lol:

That's the funniest thing I've heard all week!!! Thanks :mrgreen:
leih merigian
Vrijheid's H'Geyser
Zodiac vom Younghaus (over the bridge)
Central VA (near Charlottesville)
It's never too late to have a happy childhood...
User avatar
vneerland
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Posts: 1547
Joined: Sat Jun 19, 2010 10:10 pm
Tell us about yourself: *
Location: Tex@s

Re: Hello from Canada

Post by vneerland »

Welcome here Heather. Feel free to inundate us with pictures. :mrgreen:
ImageJudith Van Neerland Dutch Shepherds Image
User avatar
HeatherH
Green Dog
Posts: 182
Joined: Wed Oct 24, 2012 9:06 pm
Tell us about yourself: My name is Heather. My husband and I are empty nesters in or mid 40. We bought a 8 wk old ds from a breeder. We got the name buy a new neighbor. I bought thr dog because we both just putvthe last of or 3 dogs down. I had a dalmatian before I met my husband 4 yeats ago. The love of my life. Iove dogs that are smart and full of energy. I lve hiking but need yhe push. I am just learning alot about the new little guy, but I need more info.

Re: Hello from Canada

Post by HeatherH »

Pictures. I'm trying to cut them down so they will fit on the forum. Dutch may be my dog but he generally sticks with my husband. I love training and playing and long hikes, but I'm much more stricked then my husband. I was thinking flyball. But I need to read up more.
Heather from Hamilton Ont.
Dutch- DS.
Pearl - cat
Post Reply