Hi From the Gateway To The West

For our new members to introduce themselves
User avatar
Schlussdibusti
Working Dog
Posts: 1040
Joined: Mon Jun 13, 2011 6:25 pm
Tell us about yourself: I adopted a DS

Re: Hi From the Gateway To The West

Post by Schlussdibusti »

HARNW76 wrote: This poor dog has no chance and I have even less. Maybe I should just get a cat and call it a day. :?
How about a robot dog? You can program him anything you want him to be :player:
Giant-Robot-Dog-300x300.jpg
Giant-Robot-Dog-300x300.jpg (15.64 KiB) Viewed 1251 times
Eva & Marco BH
Jupiter, Florida
HARNW76
Puppy
Posts: 52
Joined: Sat Dec 15, 2012 1:46 am
Tell us about yourself: I'm a 55 year old CNC programmer living in the USA. I've owned 4 GSD, but I'm considering a Dutch Shephard for my next. I'm looking to gain as much information about the breed as I can before making my decision.

Re: Hi From the Gateway To The West

Post by HARNW76 »

Schlussdibusti wrote:
HARNW76 wrote: This poor dog has no chance and I have even less. Maybe I should just get a cat and call it a day. :?
How about a robot dog? You can program him anything you want him to be :player:
Giant-Robot-Dog-300x300.jpg
That's perfect! I program large machines all day long for a living.
Finally a dog that I won't have to worry about what breeder he came from.
Sweet! :wtg:
Thanks,
Harold Eaker
Outside St.Louis, Mo. USA
User avatar
Schlussdibusti
Working Dog
Posts: 1040
Joined: Mon Jun 13, 2011 6:25 pm
Tell us about yourself: I adopted a DS

Re: Hi From the Gateway To The West

Post by Schlussdibusti »

HARNW76 wrote: Finally a dog that I won't have to worry about what breeder he came from.
Sweet! :wtg:
Just to worry about the operating system, enough RAM, virus protection and power failures :stickman:
Eva & Marco BH
Jupiter, Florida
HARNW76
Puppy
Posts: 52
Joined: Sat Dec 15, 2012 1:46 am
Tell us about yourself: I'm a 55 year old CNC programmer living in the USA. I've owned 4 GSD, but I'm considering a Dutch Shephard for my next. I'm looking to gain as much information about the breed as I can before making my decision.

Re: Hi From the Gateway To The West

Post by HARNW76 »

Schlussdibusti wrote:
HARNW76 wrote: Finally a dog that I won't have to worry about what breeder he came from.
Sweet! :wtg:
Just to worry about the operating system, enough RAM, virus protection and power failures :stickman:
LOL Exactly. :mrgreen:
Thanks,
Harold Eaker
Outside St.Louis, Mo. USA
debmac
Puppy
Posts: 25
Joined: Wed Oct 31, 2012 6:16 pm
Tell us about yourself: I recently adopted a 2 year old Dutch Shepherd rescue, Tess. She is my first Dutchie. I have always had German Shepherds and have trained and worked them as search and rescue dogs. My hope is that Tess will take this road also
Location: Anamoose, ND

Re: Hi From the Gateway To The West

Post by debmac »

Harold,
The great thing about marker training is that it is really hard to screw up too badly! I imported my favorite GSD from Germany- old DDR lines. I had a friend who had a friend who was stationed in Germany. As part of his duty he evaluated working dogs and was ameniable to helping me find a suitable dog. A long story short- he found a dog who he said was exactly what I described, and hoped that he would not eat me. When Lex got out of his crate at Dulles after that long flight, I knew I had the right dog when he charged out straight for the tug. It was 3 months of many bruises, but we got it right and he was the dog of a lifetime.

With the care you are taking in looking at this point- I am sure you will find your doggie soulmate!
Deb
Deb McAvoy
Tess- DS
Echo- GSD
Rowdy - BC/BH


Knowing is not enough; we must apply.
Willing is not enough; we must do." ~Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
Image
HARNW76
Puppy
Posts: 52
Joined: Sat Dec 15, 2012 1:46 am
Tell us about yourself: I'm a 55 year old CNC programmer living in the USA. I've owned 4 GSD, but I'm considering a Dutch Shephard for my next. I'm looking to gain as much information about the breed as I can before making my decision.

Re: Hi From the Gateway To The West

Post by HARNW76 »

Deb, thanks for those encouraging words. Because it's unlikely that I'll bring a puppy into our home while we still have our male I will have some months to learn about marker training before having to apply it to my DS.
It also helps having a newly acquired recue dog in the house. This poor things has had plenty of abuse but no training and is very timid. My intention is to use her in my first attempt at marker training. My hope is not only to learn things but that she will learn things also. I see it as a win-win situation. And if I don't do so well with her I'm still going to learn things just because I'm going through the process. And even if she doesn't do well either she will still be a gentle soul who will lay her head on my wife's lap for hours while she reads. And that's all my wife is looking for from her anyway. So it's all good.
Thanks,
Harold Eaker
Outside St.Louis, Mo. USA
Post Reply