Hello from Toronto, Ontario
- Sara_Hanna
- Just Whelped
- Posts: 8
- Joined: Mon Jan 14, 2013 7:26 pm
- Tell us about yourself: I have one dog - Dutch Shep mix named Hanna - not sure with what else - she is a rescue from the Toronto Humane Society - will be 2 years old early February.
- Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Hello from Toronto, Ontario
Hi,
Just wanted to say hello - excited to join - looking to share stories, ideas, and suggestions about training specifically in the Toronto area.
Just wanted to say hello - excited to join - looking to share stories, ideas, and suggestions about training specifically in the Toronto area.
Woof,
Sara - owner of Hanna - 2 yr old Dutch Shep mix - Toronto, Ontario
Sara - owner of Hanna - 2 yr old Dutch Shep mix - Toronto, Ontario
-
Sugars Mom
- Working Dog
- Posts: 1734
- Joined: Thu Mar 03, 2011 12:16 am
- Tell us about yourself: I adopted a Dutch Shepherd mix (without knowing what she was) from the SPCA here in Victoria BC and am now trying to learn everything I can about this breed. My husband and I work from home most of the time so I thought it was time to get a puppy! We have his 2 boys here half the time and we wanted a nice family dog.
Sugar looks like a miniature Dutch Shepherd with floppy ears, and has every ounce of DS traits in her little body!
I hope to learn from other DS owners and share doggy experiences. - Location: Victoria BC
- Sara_Hanna
- Just Whelped
- Posts: 8
- Joined: Mon Jan 14, 2013 7:26 pm
- Tell us about yourself: I have one dog - Dutch Shep mix named Hanna - not sure with what else - she is a rescue from the Toronto Humane Society - will be 2 years old early February.
- Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Re: Hello from Toronto, Ontario
Thank you...interesting I have only seen a few DS in Toronto - not a common breed here at all...and many ask me what breed she is because they have never seen one like her.
I love having a dog that is unique.
I love having a dog that is unique.
Woof,
Sara - owner of Hanna - 2 yr old Dutch Shep mix - Toronto, Ontario
Sara - owner of Hanna - 2 yr old Dutch Shep mix - Toronto, Ontario
- anniewang83
- Puppy
- Posts: 74
- Joined: Tue Dec 04, 2012 6:03 am
- Tell us about yourself: Annie & Nick, first time owners of a dutch shepherd, named Amber, rescue from North American Dutch Shepherd Rescue (NADSR), fostered and trained by Kim Futch. Amber's favorite things to do are eating, chasing balls, chasing frisbees and napping with us in bed.
- Location: New York City
Re: Hello from Toronto, Ontario
Yay Canadians! I lived in Kingston, ON as a child for 4 years and those winters are permanently engraved into my memory.
The DS is not a common breed anywhere. Every time I go out of the house, I get at least a handful of people asking what my dog is, which is quickly followed by "wow, she's beautiful." I'm always beaming like my dog won best in show.

The DS is not a common breed anywhere. Every time I go out of the house, I get at least a handful of people asking what my dog is, which is quickly followed by "wow, she's beautiful." I'm always beaming like my dog won best in show.
Nick & Annie (humans)
Amber (Dutchie)
currently living in New York City
Amber (Dutchie)
currently living in New York City
- Sara_Hanna
- Just Whelped
- Posts: 8
- Joined: Mon Jan 14, 2013 7:26 pm
- Tell us about yourself: I have one dog - Dutch Shep mix named Hanna - not sure with what else - she is a rescue from the Toronto Humane Society - will be 2 years old early February.
- Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Re: Hello from Toronto, Ontario
So true!! I can’t describe the sense of pride of have whenever someone compliments her – you’d think I gave birth to her – LOL. I had never even heard of DS before – I even had someone at a dog park offer to buy her when she was a pup and offered good money – but there was no way I’d let her go.
Canadian winters are rough - especially the in between rain and snow - case this morning where hanna decided she did not want to wait until i wiped her paws and well ran through the house and "left her mark". I felt like I was in a swiffer wetjet commercial!!!!
Canadian winters are rough - especially the in between rain and snow - case this morning where hanna decided she did not want to wait until i wiped her paws and well ran through the house and "left her mark". I felt like I was in a swiffer wetjet commercial!!!!
Woof,
Sara - owner of Hanna - 2 yr old Dutch Shep mix - Toronto, Ontario
Sara - owner of Hanna - 2 yr old Dutch Shep mix - Toronto, Ontario
- Choochi
- Training Dog
- Posts: 350
- Joined: Sat Mar 05, 2011 4:16 pm
- Tell us about yourself: Love dogs and training.
- Location: Toronto, ON
Re: Hello from Toronto, Ontario
Hi Sarah! Welcome to the forum, I'm also in Toronto.
Where do you train?
Where do you train?
Choochi
- Sara_Hanna
- Just Whelped
- Posts: 8
- Joined: Mon Jan 14, 2013 7:26 pm
- Tell us about yourself: I have one dog - Dutch Shep mix named Hanna - not sure with what else - she is a rescue from the Toronto Humane Society - will be 2 years old early February.
- Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Re: Hello from Toronto, Ontario
Thanks Choochi - Olympus K9 is where we went (trainer is Derrick and he is awesome) - they are all pretty good - only issue is they are in brampton so after the 1st level i was unable to continue.
any suggestions on good trainers - specifically specializing in DS?
any suggestions on good trainers - specifically specializing in DS?
Woof,
Sara - owner of Hanna - 2 yr old Dutch Shep mix - Toronto, Ontario
Sara - owner of Hanna - 2 yr old Dutch Shep mix - Toronto, Ontario
- feraloup
- Training Dog
- Posts: 352
- Joined: Thu Oct 18, 2012 6:45 pm
- Tell us about yourself: Artist, Mother, Equestrienne, Educator, Homesteader wannabe, dog-lover. Not counting my current DS, I have had 2 GSDs and 3 rescued mixed-breeds. All of these dogs were rescues, except for my childhood GSD, who was a gift from my parents when I was 7, and my current DS who I bartered artwork for from the breeder. Maiyou, one of my current dogs, is a Pitbull/New Guinea Singing Dog of 13 years old. Still very active and "Young" in nature. I now also have a DS named Mokume, (pronounced "Moh-koo-meh") or "Moko" for short. Newest member of our pack is Freyja, a random mixed hound I rescued during a horseback trip in the middle of a state forest.
- Location: VT
Re: Hello from Toronto, Ontario
Greetings! Looking forward to hearing more stories and seeing pictures. 
I had to laugh at your "swiffer commercial" comparison. We've had similar weather here in Vermont, we're not too far from the Canadian border on the Montreal/Quebec end of the country.
Our winters aren't QUIIIITE as intense as yours, but respectable enough and we've had the freeze/wet/freeze/wet sloppiness here, too.
Last week we had snow, then it's been a few days of mud, and just today it's snowing again.
The dogs go everywhere with me and right now the back of my jeep is looking reallllly vile, between mud and dog hair and hay bits from the barn...
I had to laugh at your "swiffer commercial" comparison. We've had similar weather here in Vermont, we're not too far from the Canadian border on the Montreal/Quebec end of the country.
Our winters aren't QUIIIITE as intense as yours, but respectable enough and we've had the freeze/wet/freeze/wet sloppiness here, too.
Last week we had snow, then it's been a few days of mud, and just today it's snowing again.
The dogs go everywhere with me and right now the back of my jeep is looking reallllly vile, between mud and dog hair and hay bits from the barn...
Autumn Dufresne
"If you talk to the animals they will talk with you and you will know each other. If you do not talk to them you will not know them, and what you do not know, you will fear. What one fears, one destroys." ~Chief Dan George
"If you talk to the animals they will talk with you and you will know each other. If you do not talk to them you will not know them, and what you do not know, you will fear. What one fears, one destroys." ~Chief Dan George
- Sara_Hanna
- Just Whelped
- Posts: 8
- Joined: Mon Jan 14, 2013 7:26 pm
- Tell us about yourself: I have one dog - Dutch Shep mix named Hanna - not sure with what else - she is a rescue from the Toronto Humane Society - will be 2 years old early February.
- Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Re: Hello from Toronto, Ontario
thanks Feraloup - that day of the wetjet incident i ended up being 15 minutes late for a meeting - had a hilarious time explaining why i was running late to my team lead - sounded like my dog ate my homework bit...
love your quote by the way - my favorite parts of the day are waking up and saying good morning to her and getting home from work - i look forward to weekends because i can spend as much time as i like with her
love your quote by the way - my favorite parts of the day are waking up and saying good morning to her and getting home from work - i look forward to weekends because i can spend as much time as i like with her
Woof,
Sara - owner of Hanna - 2 yr old Dutch Shep mix - Toronto, Ontario
Sara - owner of Hanna - 2 yr old Dutch Shep mix - Toronto, Ontario
- Marjolein
- Working Dog
- Posts: 2078
- Joined: Sun Jul 11, 2010 7:17 pm
- Tell us about yourself: I'm a Dutchie myself ;-) but live in Germany with Johan and my two DS's Cobber-Dingo and Knivil (Dingo and Ivil to friends...)
- Location: Warbeyen, Germany
- Contact:
- alspyce
- Working Dog
- Posts: 1222
- Joined: Wed Mar 23, 2011 5:51 pm
- Tell us about yourself: I am in New York State. Got my first DS about 14 years ago (more or less as a rescue- lost her in Nov.). After years of GSD's, and a few dogs of other breeds (Rotti/Beauceron/Ger. Shorthaired Pointer/ Yorkie and my current Jack Russell) I now have another DS, 4mo female, no name yet, tho I have a few in mind.
Also have a horse-old quarter horse mare-32.
Can't wait for all the snow to get gone! Spring is coming too slow this year! - Location: Corinth, New York
Re: Hello from Toronto, Ontario
Welcome
"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened." Anatole France
Chris Carlton/Lyric
Chris Carlton/Lyric
- Choochi
- Training Dog
- Posts: 350
- Joined: Sat Mar 05, 2011 4:16 pm
- Tell us about yourself: Love dogs and training.
- Location: Toronto, ON
Re: Hello from Toronto, Ontario
Sara_Hanna wrote:Thanks Choochi - Olympus K9 is where we went (trainer is Derrick and he is awesome) - they are all pretty good - only issue is they are in brampton so after the 1st level i was unable to continue.
any suggestions on good trainers - specifically specializing in DS?
Great people! I used to train there with my Corso, Derrick is a lot of fun! What type of training are you looking for? Do you have a goal in mind or just want an activity to keep you and your boy constructively busy?
My favourite classes and trainers would have to be Heather McLeod's classes at the Red Barn in Barrie. I know... it's not any closer then Brampton but she is worth the drive. She does all sorts of sports and sports foundations. Even if you have no plans to persue agility her foundation classes will still teach you some amazing skills you can apply in every day life and she is tons of fun to work with. Karin Apfel is a great trainer and has classes in Newmarket, she does obedience, rally O, and sport detection (that is some thing you should really check out!). When Hounds Fly, they're in the city with 2 locations in Toronto and offer clicker based training, very well thought out programs with a flexible schedule (you pick your own days and times). If you're interested in protection sports (if Pando and Derrick didn't already talk your ear off about coming out to Saugeen to check things out) there are a number of options for Schutzhund around the city and we are very lucky to have an amazing French Ring trainer from France who moved here a couple months ago. He is also offering regular training for obedience and problem solving. His name is Fred Labrousse and he's in King City maybe 10min north of Vaughan Mills. I don't think he has a website but he is on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/North-To ... 9236733489
Choochi
- TIGER
- Just Whelped
- Posts: 7
- Joined: Sun Feb 24, 2013 6:08 pm
- Tell us about yourself: I have been training tactical dogs for 20 years and think dutch shephers are truly the best .
- Location: Canada
Re: Hello from Toronto, Ontario
I live close by just outside T. and find my dog's attract a lot of attention. very rarely do I see any other dutch sheperds. if you need any advice on training .I can help


Facebook page.