A Newbie Here in WA
- idp9685
- Just Whelped
- Posts: 8
- Joined: Sun Mar 03, 2013 9:09 pm
- Tell us about yourself: I recently adopted a dog and after research I think he may be a dutch shepherd
A Newbie Here in WA
I rescued a dog back in October when I was living in Virginia, after doing some research I think He may be a Dutch Shepherd (mostly). I was wondering if I could get some opinions from the rest of you. Here are a few pictures of him for comparison.
- Attachments
-
- BIRD!!!
- IMG_0294.JPG (152.76 KiB) Viewed 1677 times
-
- I promise I've been a good boy, treats?
- IMG_0295.JPG (105.16 KiB) Viewed 1677 times
Ian Price
Cal Von Rescue
Cal Von Rescue
-
johninny
- Working Dog
- Posts: 1326
- Joined: Wed Oct 17, 2012 6:22 am
- Tell us about yourself: DS and Mal foster newly approved aug'12 by NADSR and ABMCR. high-functioning Autistic in nyc/hamptons in my 60's. Rescued the smartest dog i had ever seen off nyc street in 2000. Tracedog's intelligence exceeded by multiples my judgement that day. My first [and only as of 10/2012] dog turned out to be a DS, perhaps with a touch of something else, but attention to detail, behavioral traits, and physical habits, movement, and skill identical to DS. But MUCH more intellectual ability. supremely confident in all settings, fearless, very outgoing and social with people and friendly with dogs. Seldom apart in over 12 years, Trace Dog was the most important relationship of my adult life; he was my partner. He died july17,2012. i am dying without him. www.youtube.com/tracesobaka www.dogster.com/dogs/637612
- Location: NH/hamptons/nyc
Re: A Newbie Here in WA
hi and welcome. he's beautiful; may well have a heavy dose of DS, but hard to say from these two pics and without a description of behavior or seeing him in action. to save time, others with more knowledge and expertise will soon see your post and they will request more pics, but particularly a full, standing side shot will be deemed almost necessary to make informed comment.
no matter what he is, he looks like he is a lot of fun and a good companion.
would love to hear and see more about him.
no matter what he is, he looks like he is a lot of fun and a good companion.
would love to hear and see more about him.
John & DS rscus TRACE DOG,99-12; fstr7yoCain,8-9/12; Xander(3/12)11/12-2/13; SAKIMA (b.4/12)from11/12; TxXANDER (b.2/13)from5/13; direct from CherCar: TRACER (b.5/4/13). http://www.youtube.com/sakimadoggy http://www.youtube.com/tracesobaka
- idp9685
- Just Whelped
- Posts: 8
- Joined: Sun Mar 03, 2013 9:09 pm
- Tell us about yourself: I recently adopted a dog and after research I think he may be a dutch shepherd
Re: A Newbie Here in WA
Well I think he is DS cross because of his movement and tempermant now that he's normalized, as stated before he was a rescue and for the first few month he was very skiddish I don't think he had a very good life before me. All of the pictures were taken about 2 months and 7 extra pounds after I got him. When he runs it is very "gallopy" like a GSD and he has a very big deep bark and naturally gaurds me. In fact I live in a private off leash beach community and have been dissalowed from letting him off leash during the weekends when families are here, he has never been aggressive towards anything that wasn't trying to take his food but if we are walking and there is someone that he doesn't know, or even someone that he does know he runs at them tail wagging and barking no snarling or growling just making sure that everyone knows the score. He loves to play with other dogs, whether they chase him or he chases them.
- Attachments
-
- Fast as fast can be
- IMG_0289.JPG (169.64 KiB) Viewed 1645 times
-
- This is Cal laying claim to the best spot in the house
- IMG_0276.JPG (110.99 KiB) Viewed 1645 times
-
- Look at that
- IMG_0172.JPG (195.19 KiB) Viewed 1645 times
Ian Price
Cal Von Rescue
Cal Von Rescue
-
johninny
- Working Dog
- Posts: 1326
- Joined: Wed Oct 17, 2012 6:22 am
- Tell us about yourself: DS and Mal foster newly approved aug'12 by NADSR and ABMCR. high-functioning Autistic in nyc/hamptons in my 60's. Rescued the smartest dog i had ever seen off nyc street in 2000. Tracedog's intelligence exceeded by multiples my judgement that day. My first [and only as of 10/2012] dog turned out to be a DS, perhaps with a touch of something else, but attention to detail, behavioral traits, and physical habits, movement, and skill identical to DS. But MUCH more intellectual ability. supremely confident in all settings, fearless, very outgoing and social with people and friendly with dogs. Seldom apart in over 12 years, Trace Dog was the most important relationship of my adult life; he was my partner. He died july17,2012. i am dying without him. www.youtube.com/tracesobaka www.dogster.com/dogs/637612
- Location: NH/hamptons/nyc
Re: A Newbie Here in WA
Ian, yes, wonderful pics, wonderful dog. you and he are both very lucky. I feel for the poor pup that he is no longer allowed to have the fun at charging up to people with his tail wagging. mine [ also a new rescue] does the same thing off leash on the beach, but so far people have had very strong nerves and, to my great surprise, there has not been a single objection - and I know with certainty that this one does not present a risk. on summer weekends, I will have to dial him down several notches though.
so, I agree given your comments and new pics that there is almost definitely a heavy dose of DS in there - how tall is he and especially what is his weight now? if over 60 #, I would say primarily DS.
now you will probably start to hear from people with more expertise. but I think everyone will see that you have a really great dog on your hands!!!
so, I agree given your comments and new pics that there is almost definitely a heavy dose of DS in there - how tall is he and especially what is his weight now? if over 60 #, I would say primarily DS.
now you will probably start to hear from people with more expertise. but I think everyone will see that you have a really great dog on your hands!!!
John & DS rscus TRACE DOG,99-12; fstr7yoCain,8-9/12; Xander(3/12)11/12-2/13; SAKIMA (b.4/12)from11/12; TxXANDER (b.2/13)from5/13; direct from CherCar: TRACER (b.5/4/13). http://www.youtube.com/sakimadoggy http://www.youtube.com/tracesobaka
- idp9685
- Just Whelped
- Posts: 8
- Joined: Sun Mar 03, 2013 9:09 pm
- Tell us about yourself: I recently adopted a dog and after research I think he may be a dutch shepherd
Re: A Newbie Here in WA
Yeah the funny thing about that is I kept him on leash for the first 2 months to make sure that he was comfortable and because I didn't know his tempermant for sure but the people that complained had already met him and knew he was friendly but were afraid that he'd fight back against their more aggressive Jack Russel or Yorkie rescues. Right now He's back down to the high 50 due to him finding a wool sock (I'm guessing while on the beach as all of mine are accounted for) and the surgery needed to remedy that but I plan to put a little more weight on him and get him to about 65
Ian Price
Cal Von Rescue
Cal Von Rescue
- LyonsFamily
- Training Dog
- Posts: 947
- Joined: Mon Feb 27, 2012 3:08 am
- Tell us about yourself: Odin 5 years
Elli 5 years - Location: Michigan
- Contact:
Re: A Newbie Here in WA
Why's it always the owners of the problematic little dogs that complain about big dogs? You're probably better off anyway because if your dog did get in a fight with them, you know who'd get blamed for any damage.idp9685 wrote:Yeah the funny thing about that is I kept him on leash for the first 2 months to make sure that he was comfortable and because I didn't know his tempermant for sure but the people that complained had already met him and knew he was friendly but were afraid that he'd fight back against their more aggressive Jack Russel or Yorkie rescues. Right now He's back down to the high 50 due to him finding a wool sock (I'm guessing while on the beach as all of mine are accounted for) and the surgery needed to remedy that but I plan to put a little more weight on him and get him to about 65
Stephanie
'Odin' NV PTA Odin of Another Kingdom RL1
'Elli' Drawing Our Own Constellations RL1 CGC CGCA
'Odin' NV PTA Odin of Another Kingdom RL1
'Elli' Drawing Our Own Constellations RL1 CGC CGCA
-
johninny
- Working Dog
- Posts: 1326
- Joined: Wed Oct 17, 2012 6:22 am
- Tell us about yourself: DS and Mal foster newly approved aug'12 by NADSR and ABMCR. high-functioning Autistic in nyc/hamptons in my 60's. Rescued the smartest dog i had ever seen off nyc street in 2000. Tracedog's intelligence exceeded by multiples my judgement that day. My first [and only as of 10/2012] dog turned out to be a DS, perhaps with a touch of something else, but attention to detail, behavioral traits, and physical habits, movement, and skill identical to DS. But MUCH more intellectual ability. supremely confident in all settings, fearless, very outgoing and social with people and friendly with dogs. Seldom apart in over 12 years, Trace Dog was the most important relationship of my adult life; he was my partner. He died july17,2012. i am dying without him. www.youtube.com/tracesobaka www.dogster.com/dogs/637612
- Location: NH/hamptons/nyc
Re: A Newbie Here in WA
and, at least, it is just weekends. really love the way he looks; and his bird, fast and fire photos are adorable.
John & DS rscus TRACE DOG,99-12; fstr7yoCain,8-9/12; Xander(3/12)11/12-2/13; SAKIMA (b.4/12)from11/12; TxXANDER (b.2/13)from5/13; direct from CherCar: TRACER (b.5/4/13). http://www.youtube.com/sakimadoggy http://www.youtube.com/tracesobaka
- idp9685
- Just Whelped
- Posts: 8
- Joined: Sun Mar 03, 2013 9:09 pm
- Tell us about yourself: I recently adopted a dog and after research I think he may be a dutch shepherd
Re: A Newbie Here in WA
As I live in America where people will take in foster children to neglect and beat them to get an extra paycheck, but me I pay good hard earned money to adopt a dog and then spoil the everliving crap out of him I had to post a picture of his new DUDS
- Attachments
-
- IMG_0313.JPG (214.68 KiB) Viewed 1598 times
Ian Price
Cal Von Rescue
Cal Von Rescue


Facebook page.