New DS owner

For our new members to introduce themselves
Post Reply
User avatar
ryangoode60
Just Whelped
Posts: 7
Joined: Tue Jan 22, 2013 7:54 pm
Tell us about yourself: Dutch Shepherd enthusiast

New DS owner

Post by ryangoode60 »

Hi, I'm Ryan currently living in SoCal. I have a 16 week old dutch shepherd named PJ who I purchased from outlawk9. He is awesome. I'm glad I was finally able to find a forum specific to this breed.
Image
Image
Image
Ryan Goode
PJ (DS)
Southern California
Sugars Mom
Working Dog
Posts: 1734
Joined: Thu Mar 03, 2011 12:16 am
Tell us about yourself: I adopted a Dutch Shepherd mix (without knowing what she was) from the SPCA here in Victoria BC and am now trying to learn everything I can about this breed. My husband and I work from home most of the time so I thought it was time to get a puppy! We have his 2 boys here half the time and we wanted a nice family dog.

Sugar looks like a miniature Dutch Shepherd with floppy ears, and has every ounce of DS traits in her little body!

I hope to learn from other DS owners and share doggy experiences.
Location: Victoria BC

Re: New DS owner

Post by Sugars Mom »

Welcome to the forum, and what a cutie you got there! Looks like he will be an agility dog with all the equipment there...nice!
Sue (and Sugar)

Image
User avatar
anniewang83
Puppy
Posts: 74
Joined: Tue Dec 04, 2012 6:03 am
Tell us about yourself: Annie & Nick, first time owners of a dutch shepherd, named Amber, rescue from North American Dutch Shepherd Rescue (NADSR), fostered and trained by Kim Futch. Amber's favorite things to do are eating, chasing balls, chasing frisbees and napping with us in bed.
Location: New York City

Re: New DS owner

Post by anniewang83 »

what a beautiful boy! Welcome to the forum and congrats on being a new dutchie owner! :)
Nick & Annie (humans)
Amber (Dutchie)
currently living in New York City
User avatar
ryangoode60
Just Whelped
Posts: 7
Joined: Tue Jan 22, 2013 7:54 pm
Tell us about yourself: Dutch Shepherd enthusiast

Re: New DS owner

Post by ryangoode60 »

Thank you both! He is an amazing dog, so smart and easy to train at such a young age.
Ryan Goode
PJ (DS)
Southern California
User avatar
alspyce
Working Dog
Posts: 1222
Joined: Wed Mar 23, 2011 5:51 pm
Tell us about yourself: I am in New York State. Got my first DS about 14 years ago (more or less as a rescue- lost her in Nov.). After years of GSD's, and a few dogs of other breeds (Rotti/Beauceron/Ger. Shorthaired Pointer/ Yorkie and my current Jack Russell) I now have another DS, 4mo female, no name yet, tho I have a few in mind.
Also have a horse-old quarter horse mare-32.
Can't wait for all the snow to get gone! Spring is coming too slow this year!
Location: Corinth, New York

Re: New DS owner

Post by alspyce »

Welcome! What a great yard full of equipment. Did you build it?
"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened." Anatole France
Chris Carlton/Lyric
Wdat
Just Whelped
Posts: 6
Joined: Mon Mar 18, 2013 2:22 pm
Tell us about yourself: Rob is 27, was more or less raised by dogs, has trained and raced his own greyhound Maisy (now retired and rehomed), and was matched last September with his GSD guide dog, Umber.
Sue is 48, and spent most of her life so far being scared of dogs! Then she adopted a retired racing greyhound called Kez, and the rest is history...
Location: Northumberland, UK
Contact:

Re: New DS owner

Post by Wdat »

Hi and wellcome we've just joined. What a nice pup you've got.
User avatar
ryangoode60
Just Whelped
Posts: 7
Joined: Tue Jan 22, 2013 7:54 pm
Tell us about yourself: Dutch Shepherd enthusiast

Re: New DS owner

Post by ryangoode60 »

alspyce wrote:Welcome! What a great yard full of equipment. Did you build it?
Thanks! Yes I built them from old pallets and used some exterior paint I found to paint them. So all they cost me was the time to make them. I plan on making a few more when I can get a hold of some more building materials. :)
Ryan Goode
PJ (DS)
Southern California
leih merigian
Working Dog
Posts: 1960
Joined: Wed Jun 30, 2010 3:20 pm
Tell us about yourself: Had a GSD, am getting a DS puppy in a few weeks. Compete in agility, obedience, and cross train in tons of stuff. Found out about this site from the DS Rescue yahoo list.

Re: New DS owner

Post by leih merigian »

ryangoode60 wrote:I built them from old pallets and used some exterior paint I found to paint them. ...I plan on making a few more when I can get a hold of some more building materials. :)
Good job...add some sand to the paint for the surfaces he'll be on, to provide some traction/safety (you can just sprinkle it on when the paint is wet)
leih merigian
Vrijheid's H'Geyser
Zodiac vom Younghaus (over the bridge)
Central VA (near Charlottesville)
It's never too late to have a happy childhood...
User avatar
ryangoode60
Just Whelped
Posts: 7
Joined: Tue Jan 22, 2013 7:54 pm
Tell us about yourself: Dutch Shepherd enthusiast

Re: New DS owner

Post by ryangoode60 »

leih merigian wrote:
ryangoode60 wrote:I built them from old pallets and used some exterior paint I found to paint them. ...I plan on making a few more when I can get a hold of some more building materials. :)
Good job...add some sand to the paint for the surfaces he'll be on, to provide some traction/safety (you can just sprinkle it on when the paint is wet)

Yeah I was thinking about adding grip tape but that sand tip sounds better, thanks! :)
Ryan Goode
PJ (DS)
Southern California
User avatar
LyonsFamily
Training Dog
Posts: 947
Joined: Mon Feb 27, 2012 3:08 am
Tell us about yourself: Odin 5 years
Elli 5 years
Location: Michigan
Contact:

Re: New DS owner

Post by LyonsFamily »

ryangoode60 wrote:
leih merigian wrote:
ryangoode60 wrote:I built them from old pallets and used some exterior paint I found to paint them. ...I plan on making a few more when I can get a hold of some more building materials. :)
Good job...add some sand to the paint for the surfaces he'll be on, to provide some traction/safety (you can just sprinkle it on when the paint is wet)

Yeah I was thinking about adding grip tape but that sand tip sounds better, thanks! :)
You can also use wood sawdust if you have it lying around. I prefer that over sand because the way I paint, sand has it's way of working to the surface and becoming too rough. I could probably paint better, but my mom runs a woodworking business and sawdust is free by the truck full and it has served me well.

That grip tape is expensive. I have it in my chute barrel and just to do the strips there it cost me $20. I was going to do my pause table in it because it looks cool, but it just wasn't worth it.
Stephanie
'Odin' NV PTA Odin of Another Kingdom RL1
'Elli' Drawing Our Own Constellations RL1 CGC CGCA
johninny
Working Dog
Posts: 1326
Joined: Wed Oct 17, 2012 6:22 am
Tell us about yourself: DS and Mal foster newly approved aug'12 by NADSR and ABMCR. high-functioning Autistic in nyc/hamptons in my 60's. Rescued the smartest dog i had ever seen off nyc street in 2000. Tracedog's intelligence exceeded by multiples my judgement that day. My first [and only as of 10/2012] dog turned out to be a DS, perhaps with a touch of something else, but attention to detail, behavioral traits, and physical habits, movement, and skill identical to DS. But MUCH more intellectual ability. supremely confident in all settings, fearless, very outgoing and social with people and friendly with dogs. Seldom apart in over 12 years, Trace Dog was the most important relationship of my adult life; he was my partner. He died july17,2012. i am dying without him. www.youtube.com/tracesobaka www.dogster.com/dogs/637612
Location: NH/hamptons/nyc

Re: New DS owner

Post by johninny »

Ryan, don't know if you have noticed, but member ''dutchie9226'' also just got a DS puppy from outlawK9. speaks about it in ''standards - general''
John & DS rscus TRACE DOG,99-12; fstr7yoCain,8-9/12; Xander(3/12)11/12-2/13; SAKIMA (b.4/12)from11/12; TxXANDER (b.2/13)from5/13; direct from CherCar: TRACER (b.5/4/13). http://www.youtube.com/sakimadoggy http://www.youtube.com/tracesobaka
Post Reply