newest pack member

For our new members to introduce themselves
Post Reply
Allan7
Just Whelped
Posts: 21
Joined: Fri Jul 12, 2013 2:19 am
Tell us about yourself: I'm a novice dutch shepherd owner and joined this community to acquire expert advice on raising,breeding a dutch shepherd.my male dutchie named Igor is the latest addition to our family.I have 2 adult dogs a japanese spitz and a labrador but needed a serious guardian to guard my family and property that's when I got him.he's a happy dog always alert and very reliable at an early age of 5 months.since I got him,I fell in-love with the breed that I wanted another one a female,but my research brought me here thinking that I can get some advice on choosing the right female dutchie since the breed have a lot of variations.

newest pack member

Post by Allan7 »

Hello everyone! last time I joined this forum I was asking some opinion about my dog Igor.and you guys did not disappoint .I got some positive advise from experienced DS owner and it helped me raise my own perfect DS.
Igor is now 6 mos.old he'll turn 7 this Aug.31.It is the fascination of what this breed can do to people to us especially that I decided to add another one.and just like last time I need some expert eyes on this one.I need your help again as to what breed is this fellow. I found him online from a breeder here in the Philippines they're selling him for not so much. this fellow is 7 mos.old. can you please tell me what he is, because If he's a DS I'll be getting him.Thanks in advance to you all!
Attachments
5.jpg
5.jpg (96.91 KiB) Viewed 2035 times
4.jpg
4.jpg (136.1 KiB) Viewed 2035 times
3.jpg
3.jpg (131.84 KiB) Viewed 2035 times
2.jpg
2.jpg (135.29 KiB) Viewed 2035 times
Anubis
Just Whelped
Posts: 21
Joined: Thu May 09, 2013 3:57 pm
Tell us about yourself: I currently have 3 dogs - Akita, Dand and Doberman, all rescues. I am considering to get a 4th WORKING LINE dog earliest next year and are considering the following breed: Malinois or Dutch Shepherd. Articles would only give a general view, but none of the day to day life with a DS. I am joining this forum to have a good understanding of the breed.

Re: newest pack member

Post by Anubis »

HI Allan,

What did the seller say about the breed of the sire and dam? This might be a good start. :)
User avatar
LyonsFamily
Training Dog
Posts: 947
Joined: Mon Feb 27, 2012 3:08 am
Tell us about yourself: Odin 5 years
Elli 5 years
Location: Michigan
Contact:

Re: newest pack member

Post by LyonsFamily »

Whoever took this photos has the dog stacked like a GSD, so that is throwing me off. Judging by the head, I'd say there might be mal or DS in there, but the body and coat looks more GSD. Height, and weight would be helpful too.

My question would be why are you adding another dog when you only got Igor a few months ago? Are you prepared for a second high drive dog when your first still has a lot of training needs? Have you solved Igor's destructiveness and exercise requirements that you talked about in the other post? A second dog isn't going to train him or give him a job to do and having 2 dogs with those needs, in addition to your other dogs, is going to be a lot worse on you.

Adding a second dog, especially a male, will probably mean there will be an adjustment period and the 2 may not be able to be left together unsupervised for a while. If your solution to solving a dogs destructiveness was tying Igor outside on a chain when you can't supervise, where will the 2nd dog go? Male/Male pairings do need management to coexist without fighting. If they're not getting worked as much as needed, your chance for aggression will be a lot higher as well.

Also, I wouldn't buy from a breeder that is selling him for "not so much." Do the parents have any health tests done? Why were the 2 dogs bred? Was there a goal in mind for this breeding?
Stephanie
'Odin' NV PTA Odin of Another Kingdom RL1
'Elli' Drawing Our Own Constellations RL1 CGC CGCA
Allan7
Just Whelped
Posts: 21
Joined: Fri Jul 12, 2013 2:19 am
Tell us about yourself: I'm a novice dutch shepherd owner and joined this community to acquire expert advice on raising,breeding a dutch shepherd.my male dutchie named Igor is the latest addition to our family.I have 2 adult dogs a japanese spitz and a labrador but needed a serious guardian to guard my family and property that's when I got him.he's a happy dog always alert and very reliable at an early age of 5 months.since I got him,I fell in-love with the breed that I wanted another one a female,but my research brought me here thinking that I can get some advice on choosing the right female dutchie since the breed have a lot of variations.

Re: newest pack member

Post by Allan7 »

thanks to your immediate response.I see so this dog has a mixed gene on him but I think he's trainable. like what I did to Igor my first DS.I did not train him to do some tracking work or anything related to.but he is now becoming the dog that we want, a disciplined family member and a loyal friend to the family . I've been working on him for the last few months dealing with his behavior problems.and it turned out to be simply exercise deprivation and I think I already addressed that problem and I'm now seeing some improvements.after all,he is a smart dog.we have mutual respect.

One thing I would be considering,is male to male pairing.I think it would be a challenge .but as to the origins of the dog on the photo I wouldn't be concerned.as long as there is a DS blood in there, I think it is worth saving .
Anubis
Just Whelped
Posts: 21
Joined: Thu May 09, 2013 3:57 pm
Tell us about yourself: I currently have 3 dogs - Akita, Dand and Doberman, all rescues. I am considering to get a 4th WORKING LINE dog earliest next year and are considering the following breed: Malinois or Dutch Shepherd. Articles would only give a general view, but none of the day to day life with a DS. I am joining this forum to have a good understanding of the breed.

Re: newest pack member

Post by Anubis »

Hi Allan7,

If both will be chained to different areas of the house to secure the perimeter, you will not have problem.

If you plan to walk them around The Fort, Forbes Park, or other places, then you will need to work hard on their obedience before they hit bet 16-24 months, and more so when they hit the critical months. Some do have same sex aggression, some don't.

IMO, it is very hard to say IF THERE IS DS in there. May look kinda DS, kinda GSD. But I am sure that if you tell people there he is a DS mix, nobody's going to argue. Most important is, you like the dog for what the dog is. :)

Anubis
Allan7
Just Whelped
Posts: 21
Joined: Fri Jul 12, 2013 2:19 am
Tell us about yourself: I'm a novice dutch shepherd owner and joined this community to acquire expert advice on raising,breeding a dutch shepherd.my male dutchie named Igor is the latest addition to our family.I have 2 adult dogs a japanese spitz and a labrador but needed a serious guardian to guard my family and property that's when I got him.he's a happy dog always alert and very reliable at an early age of 5 months.since I got him,I fell in-love with the breed that I wanted another one a female,but my research brought me here thinking that I can get some advice on choosing the right female dutchie since the breed have a lot of variations.

Re: newest pack member

Post by Allan7 »

Anubis wrote:Hi Allan7,

If both will be chained to different areas of the house to secure the perimeter, you will not have problem.

If you plan to walk them around The Fort, Forbes Park, or other places, then you will need to work hard on their obedience before they hit bet 16-24 months, and more so when they hit the critical months. Some do have same sex aggression, some don't.

IMO, it is very hard to say IF THERE IS DS in there. May look kinda DS, kinda GSD. But I am sure that if you tell people there he is a DS mix, nobody's going to argue. Most important is, you like the dog for what the dog is. :)

Anubis
I asked the breeder about this fellow and turned out to be good. because he just breed dutch shepherds and nothing else. the sire is a long coat DS and silver brindle for the dam.and in the litter is a similar looking female which he intend to keep as a foundation female to be crossed again to a long coat to form a 75% long coat in the future. but he will be giving me the female upon knowing that I own a male.

You seem to know some places here Anubis.but I live in the south,the island of Mindanao to be specific .I take my dogs on a long walk on a highway and at dawn, :D I don't like showing my dogs off. Thanks !
Allan7
Just Whelped
Posts: 21
Joined: Fri Jul 12, 2013 2:19 am
Tell us about yourself: I'm a novice dutch shepherd owner and joined this community to acquire expert advice on raising,breeding a dutch shepherd.my male dutchie named Igor is the latest addition to our family.I have 2 adult dogs a japanese spitz and a labrador but needed a serious guardian to guard my family and property that's when I got him.he's a happy dog always alert and very reliable at an early age of 5 months.since I got him,I fell in-love with the breed that I wanted another one a female,but my research brought me here thinking that I can get some advice on choosing the right female dutchie since the breed have a lot of variations.

Re: newest pack member

Post by Allan7 »

here is a photo of the long coat DS my acquaintance showed.
Attachments
7.jpg
7.jpg (117.77 KiB) Viewed 1949 times
Anubis
Just Whelped
Posts: 21
Joined: Thu May 09, 2013 3:57 pm
Tell us about yourself: I currently have 3 dogs - Akita, Dand and Doberman, all rescues. I am considering to get a 4th WORKING LINE dog earliest next year and are considering the following breed: Malinois or Dutch Shepherd. Articles would only give a general view, but none of the day to day life with a DS. I am joining this forum to have a good understanding of the breed.

Re: newest pack member

Post by Anubis »

Such a pretty dog! Allan7. You will see a lot more long haired on Long Haired Dutch Shepherd site on FB.


Used to live in the Metro area and was very hard to walk dogs just anywhere because it was just too crowded. :) Used to walk mine along Roxas Blvd, dawn or night time. Can get very crowded during day time. grrrr....

I love some parts of the South - Mindanao, and yes, more ground space.

Good luck!
Anubis
Post Reply