Hello from TN!

For our new members to introduce themselves
Post Reply
Jennyt0319
Just Whelped
Posts: 17
Joined: Fri Aug 30, 2013 3:06 am
Tell us about yourself: My name is Jennifer. My whole life I have been interested in dogs. I starting learning about all the different breeds and their characteristics at a very young age.
Now that I am older & out on my own, I felt it was a good time to rescue my own dog. I searched for about 6 months.
It was my third time around when i met a 8 week old Dutch Shepherd. The moment we met i knew she had picked me. It was an instant connection. The shelter said someone found her and two sister pups abandoned in the woods. Her sisters were adopted that same week. Her name is Kora, she has a tan brindle coat and is the best companion I could ever have in a dog. She amazes me everyday with her intelligence and personality.

Hello from TN!

Post by Jennyt0319 »

I adopted/rescued this beautiful brindle mix at eight weeks old in March 2013. At the shelter, she was with her two sisters who also got adopted shortly after her. She is incredibly intelligent and her personality is sweet/playful etc but also protective. My fiancee and I could not be happier with her! It was an instant connection first time I picked her up. I believe she is pure bred Dutchie. What do you guys think? (I have ran into a DS breeder at the dog park and he said she might be mixed with Basenji. He saw her when she was younger though.) She is around 7 months old now and probably around 33-38 ish pounds. I havent check her weight in a month but she is all leg and muscle. ;) I am excited to be apart of the forum! :D The last pic she is all bundle up like a kangaroo.

This is Kora around 8 weeks:
Image
Two months later:
Image
3 months later with her ears popped up:
Image
More recent pics between 6&7 months old:
Image
johninny
Working Dog
Posts: 1326
Joined: Wed Oct 17, 2012 6:22 am
Tell us about yourself: DS and Mal foster newly approved aug'12 by NADSR and ABMCR. high-functioning Autistic in nyc/hamptons in my 60's. Rescued the smartest dog i had ever seen off nyc street in 2000. Tracedog's intelligence exceeded by multiples my judgement that day. My first [and only as of 10/2012] dog turned out to be a DS, perhaps with a touch of something else, but attention to detail, behavioral traits, and physical habits, movement, and skill identical to DS. But MUCH more intellectual ability. supremely confident in all settings, fearless, very outgoing and social with people and friendly with dogs. Seldom apart in over 12 years, Trace Dog was the most important relationship of my adult life; he was my partner. He died july17,2012. i am dying without him. www.youtube.com/tracesobaka www.dogster.com/dogs/637612
Location: NH/hamptons/nyc

Re: Hello from TN!

Post by johninny »

looks like a full-bred DS to me. sounds like you are both very lucky. great that you rescued. my first was a rescued DS and he amazed me almost every day of his life for almost 13 years, one shocker of intelligence and deep understanding after another. I was never prepared for the next step - always thought that the smarts could not get more complex, but they did!
absolutely beautiful coat - the reds - and that white patch that I love.
where in TN are you?
John & DS rscus TRACE DOG,99-12; fstr7yoCain,8-9/12; Xander(3/12)11/12-2/13; SAKIMA (b.4/12)from11/12; TxXANDER (b.2/13)from5/13; direct from CherCar: TRACER (b.5/4/13). http://www.youtube.com/sakimadoggy http://www.youtube.com/tracesobaka
User avatar
Revhendo
Green Dog
Posts: 180
Joined: Thu Apr 25, 2013 9:33 pm
Tell us about yourself: Howdy,
We are a family of rescues, (yeah, me included), in Southern California. My wife and I currently have two dogs, a Golden Retriever/ GSD mix by the name of Morgan, and our DS mix(?), Dinga Roo. We had never even heard of a Dutch Shepherd before until we were stalked by this nice lady in the pet store who asked us if Roo was a DS. Dang if that lady wasn't on to something. I just found this site, so here we are....

Kevin

Re: Hello from TN!

Post by Revhendo »

What a cutie. She has a lot of the DS features. If you get to the point where you think if she had thumbs, she would rule the world, then I would say she definitely is.
Kevin, Debby,
Dinga Roo (DS mix), John's Goddaughter and Tyson's twin,
and Morgan too (Retriever/GSD mix).
Loving memories of our GSD Charly who passed at 17 years. (4/18/13).
User avatar
Revhendo
Green Dog
Posts: 180
Joined: Thu Apr 25, 2013 9:33 pm
Tell us about yourself: Howdy,
We are a family of rescues, (yeah, me included), in Southern California. My wife and I currently have two dogs, a Golden Retriever/ GSD mix by the name of Morgan, and our DS mix(?), Dinga Roo. We had never even heard of a Dutch Shepherd before until we were stalked by this nice lady in the pet store who asked us if Roo was a DS. Dang if that lady wasn't on to something. I just found this site, so here we are....

Kevin

Re: Hello from TN!

Post by Revhendo »

What a cutie. She has a lot of the DS features. If you get to the point where you think if she had thumbs, she would rule the world, then I would say she definitely is.
Kevin, Debby,
Dinga Roo (DS mix), John's Goddaughter and Tyson's twin,
and Morgan too (Retriever/GSD mix).
Loving memories of our GSD Charly who passed at 17 years. (4/18/13).
User avatar
Stacy_R
Training Dog
Posts: 879
Joined: Mon Jun 17, 2013 12:11 am
Tell us about yourself: 3 dogs and graying hair thanks primarily to Tyson...
Location: Carolinas

Re: Hello from TN!

Post by Stacy_R »

Revhendo wrote:If you get to the point where you think if she had thumbs, she would rule the world, then I would say she definitely is.
True statement!!!

Welcome! She is a beauty!
~Stacy
Mom to:
Tyson - DS mix (Hendrix's Soul Sibling and Dinga Roo's long lost twin)
Baby Ruth - Miniature Schnauzer
Snickers - Miniature Pinscher
http://www.rescuedme.org
User avatar
Revhendo
Green Dog
Posts: 180
Joined: Thu Apr 25, 2013 9:33 pm
Tell us about yourself: Howdy,
We are a family of rescues, (yeah, me included), in Southern California. My wife and I currently have two dogs, a Golden Retriever/ GSD mix by the name of Morgan, and our DS mix(?), Dinga Roo. We had never even heard of a Dutch Shepherd before until we were stalked by this nice lady in the pet store who asked us if Roo was a DS. Dang if that lady wasn't on to something. I just found this site, so here we are....

Kevin

Re: Hello from TN!

Post by Revhendo »

Stacy_R wrote:
Revhendo wrote:If you get to the point where you think if she had thumbs, she would rule the world, then I would say she definitely is.
True statement!!!

Welcome! She is a beauty!
Must've been so true it needed to be repeated. I've no idea how that happened.....
Kevin, Debby,
Dinga Roo (DS mix), John's Goddaughter and Tyson's twin,
and Morgan too (Retriever/GSD mix).
Loving memories of our GSD Charly who passed at 17 years. (4/18/13).
Jennyt0319
Just Whelped
Posts: 17
Joined: Fri Aug 30, 2013 3:06 am
Tell us about yourself: My name is Jennifer. My whole life I have been interested in dogs. I starting learning about all the different breeds and their characteristics at a very young age.
Now that I am older & out on my own, I felt it was a good time to rescue my own dog. I searched for about 6 months.
It was my third time around when i met a 8 week old Dutch Shepherd. The moment we met i knew she had picked me. It was an instant connection. The shelter said someone found her and two sister pups abandoned in the woods. Her sisters were adopted that same week. Her name is Kora, she has a tan brindle coat and is the best companion I could ever have in a dog. She amazes me everyday with her intelligence and personality.

Re: Hello from TN!

Post by Jennyt0319 »

Revhendo wrote:
Stacy_R wrote:
Revhendo wrote:If you get to the point where you think if she had thumbs, she would rule the world, then I would say she definitely is.
True statement!!!

Welcome! She is a beauty!
Must've been so true it needed to be repeated. I've no idea how that happened.....


Thank you! It is definitely an exciting journey with her every day! ;)
Jenn & Kora
Image
Post Reply