New from Illinois
-
Illegal Regal
- Just Whelped
- Posts: 14
- Joined: Mon Sep 16, 2013 4:21 am
- Tell us about yourself: No dogs yet
- Location: Chicago
New from Illinois
Great forum, been reading posts for weeks now
. Although I don't have a DS yet I think I've found a breeder with an upcoming litter I'll get a pup from. Through all of my research it seems they'll be from a stout bloodline...Zeva from Jett land of oz bloodline and Timo from Vandalia. I haven't found much on the breeder, emerald wolf kennels, maybe I can get some insight from you guys? From my little conversations so far I feel pretty confident with choosing them.
Before I settle should I be asking them for any specifics or request anything?
Thanks
Aaron
. Although I don't have a DS yet I think I've found a breeder with an upcoming litter I'll get a pup from. Through all of my research it seems they'll be from a stout bloodline...Zeva from Jett land of oz bloodline and Timo from Vandalia. I haven't found much on the breeder, emerald wolf kennels, maybe I can get some insight from you guys? From my little conversations so far I feel pretty confident with choosing them.
Before I settle should I be asking them for any specifics or request anything?
Thanks
Aaron
Aaron
- Schlussdibusti
- Working Dog
- Posts: 1040
- Joined: Mon Jun 13, 2011 6:25 pm
- Tell us about yourself: I adopted a DS
Re: New from Illinois
Hello Aaron:
Welcome to the forum!
I do not know any DS breeders beside the ones active on this forum. But I went to Emerald Wolf Kennels website http://www.covert-k9.com. They list the OFA Hip and Elbow ratings which is a good sign. The only odd thing that struck me was that they call KNPV a Belgium's Police K9 program not Dutch.
Based on paper, the litter sounds very promising. What are your plans for the pup ?
Welcome to the forum!
I do not know any DS breeders beside the ones active on this forum. But I went to Emerald Wolf Kennels website http://www.covert-k9.com. They list the OFA Hip and Elbow ratings which is a good sign. The only odd thing that struck me was that they call KNPV a Belgium's Police K9 program not Dutch.
Based on paper, the litter sounds very promising. What are your plans for the pup ?
Eva & Marco BH
Jupiter, Florida
Jupiter, Florida
-
Illegal Regal
- Just Whelped
- Posts: 14
- Joined: Mon Sep 16, 2013 4:21 am
- Tell us about yourself: No dogs yet
- Location: Chicago
Re: New from Illinois
Family pet first and foremost and down the road we'd like to get into dock diving and myself I like schutzhund.
Aaron
- Schlussdibusti
- Working Dog
- Posts: 1040
- Joined: Mon Jun 13, 2011 6:25 pm
- Tell us about yourself: I adopted a DS
Re: New from Illinois
oops I think I got the web address wrong http://www.emeraldwolfk9.com/
Eva & Marco BH
Jupiter, Florida
Jupiter, Florida
- Schlussdibusti
- Working Dog
- Posts: 1040
- Joined: Mon Jun 13, 2011 6:25 pm
- Tell us about yourself: I adopted a DS
Re: New from Illinois
Okay, I don' know how to say it nicely without offending you.........
BUT..........
Why do you want a DS out of KNPV lines as a pet and dock diving (foremost) and Schutzhund (may be)?
Here is a link to a recent posting on this forum from someone who got a puppy out of similar lines as a pet:
http://www.dutchshepherdforum.com/viewt ... 768#p29768
Here is what KNPV line dogs LOVE to do: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OPXL33bufn0
Here is a video of a DS puppy litter http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1j_-T2a5G-M
Don't bother with cute chew toys, get a bite pillow and bite sleeve
These prey drives need an outlet! Is your family ready for a this?
Just a well meaning post, even if it doesn't sound like it.
AND..........
if you get the puppy anyway, please don't have it neutered. If it turns out to be too much to handle and you need to look for a new owner, at least it has a chance within the working dog community.
ok, I got it off my chest
BUT..........
Why do you want a DS out of KNPV lines as a pet and dock diving (foremost) and Schutzhund (may be)?
Here is a link to a recent posting on this forum from someone who got a puppy out of similar lines as a pet:
http://www.dutchshepherdforum.com/viewt ... 768#p29768
Here is what KNPV line dogs LOVE to do: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OPXL33bufn0
Here is a video of a DS puppy litter http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1j_-T2a5G-M
Don't bother with cute chew toys, get a bite pillow and bite sleeve
Just a well meaning post, even if it doesn't sound like it.
AND..........
if you get the puppy anyway, please don't have it neutered. If it turns out to be too much to handle and you need to look for a new owner, at least it has a chance within the working dog community.
ok, I got it off my chest
Eva & Marco BH
Jupiter, Florida
Jupiter, Florida
-
Illegal Regal
- Just Whelped
- Posts: 14
- Joined: Mon Sep 16, 2013 4:21 am
- Tell us about yourself: No dogs yet
- Location: Chicago
Re: New from Illinois
Their needs don't scare me off any bit, and I would never allow neutered or spayed.
I mention dock diving as it looks fun for both dog and family or family members to do. We've looked at many breeds and we want an intelligent agile fun dog and a DS fits the bill. I would love to get it involved in as much as possible.
I mention dock diving as it looks fun for both dog and family or family members to do. We've looked at many breeds and we want an intelligent agile fun dog and a DS fits the bill. I would love to get it involved in as much as possible.
Aaron
-
johninny
- Working Dog
- Posts: 1326
- Joined: Wed Oct 17, 2012 6:22 am
- Tell us about yourself: DS and Mal foster newly approved aug'12 by NADSR and ABMCR. high-functioning Autistic in nyc/hamptons in my 60's. Rescued the smartest dog i had ever seen off nyc street in 2000. Tracedog's intelligence exceeded by multiples my judgement that day. My first [and only as of 10/2012] dog turned out to be a DS, perhaps with a touch of something else, but attention to detail, behavioral traits, and physical habits, movement, and skill identical to DS. But MUCH more intellectual ability. supremely confident in all settings, fearless, very outgoing and social with people and friendly with dogs. Seldom apart in over 12 years, Trace Dog was the most important relationship of my adult life; he was my partner. He died july17,2012. i am dying without him. www.youtube.com/tracesobaka www.dogster.com/dogs/637612
- Location: NH/hamptons/nyc
Re: New from Illinois
but Eva was addressing your choice of the most extreme line of DS. there can be a huge difference among these dogs - from tear-your-hair-out barely manageable to OMG, i have no idea how to control this dog!
the issue raised is not whether your breed choice was well-considered, but whether going for the over-the-top segment of an over-the-top breed is wise. if you have children or a job, it may well be more than you can cope with. you have not mentioned details of your life and how you would deal 24 hours a day with a breed that wants our attention 24 hours a day, but i gather you have done your in-depth research on the breed and read all the nightmarish stuff that is interspersed with the general adoration of DS that you will find here. but i will say that even a run-of-the-mill DS is a full-time job; they are relentless - so if you do not handle them perfectly, you have a real problem. of the 6 ''run-of-the-mill'' DS i have had, 3 have been so relentlessly energetic that, among many other things, when they run [ including especially in the house] they plant their running legs on the walls - and i mean completely off the floor - as they curve or turn with such speed and force that they can defy gravity for about 7 running feet of wall or 4 paws 3 feet up the wall for a turn. and this is when they are not using that energy in a pointedly obnoxious way! i know it does sound great, though the potential for accident-type danger is very high [ as i am sure we can all attest]. i think Eva's question - but at lease my question - is why would you want to multiply all that energy up to the point where the difficulties and dangers jump by orders of magnitude and are truly daunting unless you are an experienced professional devoting your full time to the dog.
the issue raised is not whether your breed choice was well-considered, but whether going for the over-the-top segment of an over-the-top breed is wise. if you have children or a job, it may well be more than you can cope with. you have not mentioned details of your life and how you would deal 24 hours a day with a breed that wants our attention 24 hours a day, but i gather you have done your in-depth research on the breed and read all the nightmarish stuff that is interspersed with the general adoration of DS that you will find here. but i will say that even a run-of-the-mill DS is a full-time job; they are relentless - so if you do not handle them perfectly, you have a real problem. of the 6 ''run-of-the-mill'' DS i have had, 3 have been so relentlessly energetic that, among many other things, when they run [ including especially in the house] they plant their running legs on the walls - and i mean completely off the floor - as they curve or turn with such speed and force that they can defy gravity for about 7 running feet of wall or 4 paws 3 feet up the wall for a turn. and this is when they are not using that energy in a pointedly obnoxious way! i know it does sound great, though the potential for accident-type danger is very high [ as i am sure we can all attest]. i think Eva's question - but at lease my question - is why would you want to multiply all that energy up to the point where the difficulties and dangers jump by orders of magnitude and are truly daunting unless you are an experienced professional devoting your full time to the dog.
John & DS rscus TRACE DOG,99-12; fstr7yoCain,8-9/12; Xander(3/12)11/12-2/13; SAKIMA (b.4/12)from11/12; TxXANDER (b.2/13)from5/13; direct from CherCar: TRACER (b.5/4/13). http://www.youtube.com/sakimadoggy http://www.youtube.com/tracesobaka
-
Illegal Regal
- Just Whelped
- Posts: 14
- Joined: Mon Sep 16, 2013 4:21 am
- Tell us about yourself: No dogs yet
- Location: Chicago
-
johninny
- Working Dog
- Posts: 1326
- Joined: Wed Oct 17, 2012 6:22 am
- Tell us about yourself: DS and Mal foster newly approved aug'12 by NADSR and ABMCR. high-functioning Autistic in nyc/hamptons in my 60's. Rescued the smartest dog i had ever seen off nyc street in 2000. Tracedog's intelligence exceeded by multiples my judgement that day. My first [and only as of 10/2012] dog turned out to be a DS, perhaps with a touch of something else, but attention to detail, behavioral traits, and physical habits, movement, and skill identical to DS. But MUCH more intellectual ability. supremely confident in all settings, fearless, very outgoing and social with people and friendly with dogs. Seldom apart in over 12 years, Trace Dog was the most important relationship of my adult life; he was my partner. He died july17,2012. i am dying without him. www.youtube.com/tracesobaka www.dogster.com/dogs/637612
- Location: NH/hamptons/nyc
Re: New from Illinois
you will get agility, [power], [athleticism], intelligence, and hopefully fun [ if you put in the time, respect, and love ] in spades with any DS. i think Eva and i are saying, why push your luck unless there is a specific reason for it AND you are professionally capable of handling it. the post Eva put up there was from a member of this forum who already had 2 DS, but found a dog from the working line that interests you a shock/ exceeding their capabilities and as a result having to part ways with that DS, despite that dog getting along with the other DSs in the family. unless you have had a full-on experience raising a DS, it is difficult to appreciate how high the baseline of energy, intelligence, and difficulty is with this breed never mind then how very much higher it can go. [ and btw, energy + intelligence = difficulty - by the rules of dogdom ]
John & DS rscus TRACE DOG,99-12; fstr7yoCain,8-9/12; Xander(3/12)11/12-2/13; SAKIMA (b.4/12)from11/12; TxXANDER (b.2/13)from5/13; direct from CherCar: TRACER (b.5/4/13). http://www.youtube.com/sakimadoggy http://www.youtube.com/tracesobaka
- LyonsFamily
- Training Dog
- Posts: 947
- Joined: Mon Feb 27, 2012 3:08 am
- Tell us about yourself: Odin 5 years
Elli 5 years - Location: Michigan
- Contact:
Re: New from Illinois
I am in agreement with Eva. Some lines of Dutch Shepherds may be perfect for you, but I wouldn't settle for one out of this litter solely because of puppy availability, cost, location, etc. Have you talked to the breeder in extent about their lines and your realistic goals with the dog including how often you plan to train and how serious you are about Shutzhund? Also, do you have a dock diving location near you to train? We got into dock diving a while back, but there's not a whole lot around to make training multiple times a week (what a working DS would need) possible.
When I was looking for my second DS, I did contact a breeder and told her about my plans and was told very honest opinions about her dogs. The female she had available would not have been happy in our situation and I found a much better suited one after a little effort. Nobody knows their dogs better than the breeder. No reputable breeder wants to get their dogs back because it doesn't work out, so if the breeder doesn't ask you in depth what your training plans are and makes sure the dog is suitable for it before taking your deposit, that would be a big red flag for me.
Have you checked out Cher Car Kennels? If you're big into dock diving, they produced Cash, one of the top ranked dogs in Ultimate Air Dogs right now. I just went and watched him jump this weekend and have seen him around in a few local dog shows. I think that temperament would be more your style. Depending on where you are in Illinois, Cher Car isn't too far.
When I was looking for my second DS, I did contact a breeder and told her about my plans and was told very honest opinions about her dogs. The female she had available would not have been happy in our situation and I found a much better suited one after a little effort. Nobody knows their dogs better than the breeder. No reputable breeder wants to get their dogs back because it doesn't work out, so if the breeder doesn't ask you in depth what your training plans are and makes sure the dog is suitable for it before taking your deposit, that would be a big red flag for me.
Have you checked out Cher Car Kennels? If you're big into dock diving, they produced Cash, one of the top ranked dogs in Ultimate Air Dogs right now. I just went and watched him jump this weekend and have seen him around in a few local dog shows. I think that temperament would be more your style. Depending on where you are in Illinois, Cher Car isn't too far.
Stephanie
'Odin' NV PTA Odin of Another Kingdom RL1
'Elli' Drawing Our Own Constellations RL1 CGC CGCA
'Odin' NV PTA Odin of Another Kingdom RL1
'Elli' Drawing Our Own Constellations RL1 CGC CGCA
-
johninny
- Working Dog
- Posts: 1326
- Joined: Wed Oct 17, 2012 6:22 am
- Tell us about yourself: DS and Mal foster newly approved aug'12 by NADSR and ABMCR. high-functioning Autistic in nyc/hamptons in my 60's. Rescued the smartest dog i had ever seen off nyc street in 2000. Tracedog's intelligence exceeded by multiples my judgement that day. My first [and only as of 10/2012] dog turned out to be a DS, perhaps with a touch of something else, but attention to detail, behavioral traits, and physical habits, movement, and skill identical to DS. But MUCH more intellectual ability. supremely confident in all settings, fearless, very outgoing and social with people and friendly with dogs. Seldom apart in over 12 years, Trace Dog was the most important relationship of my adult life; he was my partner. He died july17,2012. i am dying without him. www.youtube.com/tracesobaka www.dogster.com/dogs/637612
- Location: NH/hamptons/nyc
Re: New from Illinois
re Stephanie's comment, my 4-month old from CherCar has wings.
John & DS rscus TRACE DOG,99-12; fstr7yoCain,8-9/12; Xander(3/12)11/12-2/13; SAKIMA (b.4/12)from11/12; TxXANDER (b.2/13)from5/13; direct from CherCar: TRACER (b.5/4/13). http://www.youtube.com/sakimadoggy http://www.youtube.com/tracesobaka
- asheleylane
- Puppy
- Posts: 77
- Joined: Wed Jul 07, 2010 11:01 pm
- Tell us about yourself: Asheley Winters, have had Dutch Shepherds for 12+ years!
- Location: Bluffdale, Utah, USA
- Contact:
Re: New from Illinois
Well, ONE of the parents has OFA done :/
Asheley Winters
http://www.dutchshepherds.us
http://www.dutchshepherds.us


Facebook page.