Hello from Missouri

For our new members to introduce themselves
Post Reply
paradox
Just Whelped
Posts: 3
Joined: Sun Nov 24, 2013 7:33 pm
Tell us about yourself: I have been involved with performance dogs for 40 years. Starting with racing sled dogs, stock dogs, flock guard dogs, and police, sport, and protection bred dogs. We work with GSD, Dutch Mali, and Dutch Shepherd dogs. We feel we have some of the best working line bred dogs available. We do not consider ourselves experts, and we expect to continue to learn from all areas. I will look forward to viewing this forum.

Hello from Missouri

Post by paradox »

Hello forum members. I have been involved with performance dogs for about 40 years. Racing sled dogs, than with stock dogs, Border Collies, livestock guard dogs, Anatolian and Kangal, and the last few years with GSD, Dutch Shepherds, and Dutch Mali's. While not new to dogs, I have a lot to learn about different training methods for police, sport, and personal protection dogs. I have KNPV bred Dutch Shepherds that I really like. I will probably lurk around and listen until I feel I have something worthwhile to contribute. I do appreciate new ideas and different views. I hope to meet some of you at seminars and dog trials.

Two of my favorite dogs.
http://www.pedigreedatabase.com/dutch_s ... an-leeuwen
http://www.pedigreedatabase.com/dutch_s ... 116-biwi-1
johninny
Working Dog
Posts: 1326
Joined: Wed Oct 17, 2012 6:22 am
Tell us about yourself: DS and Mal foster newly approved aug'12 by NADSR and ABMCR. high-functioning Autistic in nyc/hamptons in my 60's. Rescued the smartest dog i had ever seen off nyc street in 2000. Tracedog's intelligence exceeded by multiples my judgement that day. My first [and only as of 10/2012] dog turned out to be a DS, perhaps with a touch of something else, but attention to detail, behavioral traits, and physical habits, movement, and skill identical to DS. But MUCH more intellectual ability. supremely confident in all settings, fearless, very outgoing and social with people and friendly with dogs. Seldom apart in over 12 years, Trace Dog was the most important relationship of my adult life; he was my partner. He died july17,2012. i am dying without him. www.youtube.com/tracesobaka www.dogster.com/dogs/637612
Location: NH/hamptons/nyc

Re: Hello from Missouri

Post by johninny »

welcome.
with all that dog background, what dogs do you currently have - ages, other background.
John & DS rscus TRACE DOG,99-12; fstr7yoCain,8-9/12; Xander(3/12)11/12-2/13; SAKIMA (b.4/12)from11/12; TxXANDER (b.2/13)from5/13; direct from CherCar: TRACER (b.5/4/13). http://www.youtube.com/sakimadoggy http://www.youtube.com/tracesobaka
paradox
Just Whelped
Posts: 3
Joined: Sun Nov 24, 2013 7:33 pm
Tell us about yourself: I have been involved with performance dogs for 40 years. Starting with racing sled dogs, stock dogs, flock guard dogs, and police, sport, and protection bred dogs. We work with GSD, Dutch Mali, and Dutch Shepherd dogs. We feel we have some of the best working line bred dogs available. We do not consider ourselves experts, and we expect to continue to learn from all areas. I will look forward to viewing this forum.

Re: Hello from Missouri

Post by paradox »

Hello Johninny, I have an old retired Border Collie, Hazel 13 yrs. a younger Border Collie, Ring 6 yrs, just hoping the sheep or cattle get out. For the flock guard dogs we have a semi retired Kangal,Vali, and two younger Kangals learning their jobs.
I was attracted to the Dutch Shepherds by their athletic ability, and their solid nerve base. The two I put on the first post are Tessa, 7 yrs. and a producer of certified police and security dogs in the Netherlands, and Biwi, 11 yrs old and still able to stop people in their tracks with just a look. I purchased the best quality type of dog that I like, and I am not disappointed. I wanted to start with the highest level of training I could afford to learn what these dogs are capable of, and have a yardstick for future training.
I had a discussion with a friend about the lack of quality GSD for what I was looking for and they suggested I try the Czech and German work bred dogs. I looked for and was lucky to find Urf,
http://www.pedigreedatabase.com/german_ ... kova-dvora
Urf proved me wrong about the lack of working ability of this type of GSD. This level of training needs very little work, just brush ups for fun.
I have a couple young Dutch Shepherds that I work with to start on the right track for future owners.
So now you know what I do with all my spare time.
My wife calls me a dog-a-holic.
Post Reply