Anyways, that's me! I've been checking out breeders in America and Canada, but I really haven't seen too much, is their a secret to finding a good one that I'm not aware of?
Prospective Dutch Shepherd Owner
-
nachosyumm
- Just Whelped
- Posts: 5
- Joined: Tue Apr 19, 2011 3:27 am
- Tell us about yourself: I'm a prospective Dutch Shepherd owner that has fallen in love with this breed and is currently looking for a litter. I have never owned my own dog, but have extensive experience volunteering at animal shelters and dealing with and trying to train my long term girlfriend's unwieldy and independent German Shepherd!
Prospective Dutch Shepherd Owner
My name is Josh and I'm a prospective Dutch Shepherd owner. I love smart dogs, and I think a Dutch Shepherd is ideal for me with their intelligence, stamina, and of course their beautiful coats! Although I have never owned my own dog, I have taken care of and trying to train my long term girlfriend's German Shepherd and worked with many of my friend's dogs as well. In addition I volunteer almost every day at an animal shelter back at home (I'm currently in Mammoth Lakes, CA). I've checked out NADSR, but I'm really interested in getting my first dog of my own as a puppy, especially so I can train from the start that my Gf's cat is not prey! (I think it is though, and maybe that would get her lazy cat moving
)
Anyways, that's me! I've been checking out breeders in America and Canada, but I really haven't seen too much, is their a secret to finding a good one that I'm not aware of?
Anyways, that's me! I've been checking out breeders in America and Canada, but I really haven't seen too much, is their a secret to finding a good one that I'm not aware of?
I'm Josh from southern California and this is my fabulous signature!
-
leih merigian
- Working Dog
- Posts: 1960
- Joined: Wed Jun 30, 2010 3:20 pm
- Tell us about yourself: Had a GSD, am getting a DS puppy in a few weeks. Compete in agility, obedience, and cross train in tons of stuff. Found out about this site from the DS Rescue yahoo list.
Re: Prospective Dutch Shepherd Owner
Hi Josh, and welcome!
What kinds of things do you plan to do with your potential DS?
Do you have specific sports and/or activities in mind?
I'm with you on prefering to start with a blank slate. My own blank slate DS is 10 months old now
.
What kinds of things do you plan to do with your potential DS?
I'm with you on prefering to start with a blank slate. My own blank slate DS is 10 months old now
leih merigian
Vrijheid's H'Geyser
Zodiac vom Younghaus (over the bridge)
Central VA (near Charlottesville)
It's never too late to have a happy childhood...
Vrijheid's H'Geyser
Zodiac vom Younghaus (over the bridge)
Central VA (near Charlottesville)
It's never too late to have a happy childhood...
- Kristie E
- Training Dog
- Posts: 321
- Joined: Fri Feb 25, 2011 3:09 am
- Tell us about yourself: I have had a DS for almost a year. Gwen and I are considering participating in PSA and or possible Ring Sport. I also have a Great Dane. I have grown up around working GSDs and my last GSD was a working K9 officer. I am all about dogs and animals in general and want to learn as much as I can about training.
Re: Prospective Dutch Shepherd Owner
Welcome! there are a lot of good breeders out there (and many on this forum!).... Good luck finding your pup!
Kristie
Rommel's Guenhyvar (Gwenice the Menace) BH, PSA PDC sleeve
Rommel's Guenhyvar (Gwenice the Menace) BH, PSA PDC sleeve
- Dutchringgirl
- Global Moderator

- Posts: 5692
- Joined: Sat Feb 12, 2011 3:05 pm
- Tell us about yourself: I am a mom of 6 life forces - 2 kids and 3 dogs 1 hamster. I live in Ct. I have trained Ringsport and Agility and have 2 DS, one 15 and 7 and a Basset Hound Cookie who is 2
- Location: Ct, USA
Re: Prospective Dutch Shepherd Owner
NADSR has puppies, I got my DS from them when she was 4 months old, she is almost 7 months old now and doing great!
Lisa, Thalie CGC & Sadie, Cookie the Basset, CT




- Marjolein
- Working Dog
- Posts: 2078
- Joined: Sun Jul 11, 2010 7:17 pm
- Tell us about yourself: I'm a Dutchie myself ;-) but live in Germany with Johan and my two DS's Cobber-Dingo and Knivil (Dingo and Ivil to friends...)
- Location: Warbeyen, Germany
- Contact:
-
nachosyumm
- Just Whelped
- Posts: 5
- Joined: Tue Apr 19, 2011 3:27 am
- Tell us about yourself: I'm a prospective Dutch Shepherd owner that has fallen in love with this breed and is currently looking for a litter. I have never owned my own dog, but have extensive experience volunteering at animal shelters and dealing with and trying to train my long term girlfriend's unwieldy and independent German Shepherd!
Re: Prospective Dutch Shepherd Owner
I was looking at training in search and rescue since it has always fascinated me and I would love to become a volunteer SAR dog handler =D
Where are these puppies on NADSR, i only see teenage and older dogs.
Where are these puppies on NADSR, i only see teenage and older dogs.
I'm Josh from southern California and this is my fabulous signature!
- Christie M
- Global Moderator

- Posts: 1279
- Joined: Wed Jun 30, 2010 10:03 pm
- Tell us about yourself: Love my striped beasts.
Re: Prospective Dutch Shepherd Owner
NADSR doesn't always have puppiesnachosyumm wrote:I was looking at training in search and rescue since it has always fascinated me and I would love to become a volunteer SAR dog handler =D
Where are these puppies on NADSR, i only see teenage and older dogs.
Christie Meyer
http://www.northwoodsk9.com
http://www.dutchshepherdrescue.org
http://www.thunderhawkcanine.com
Be proud of the things that you have taught your dog. Be humbled and grateful for all of the things that your dog has taught you. - Unknown
http://www.northwoodsk9.com
http://www.dutchshepherdrescue.org
http://www.thunderhawkcanine.com
Be proud of the things that you have taught your dog. Be humbled and grateful for all of the things that your dog has taught you. - Unknown
- vneerland
- Global Moderator

- Posts: 1547
- Joined: Sat Jun 19, 2010 10:10 pm
- Tell us about yourself: *
- Location: Tex@s
Re: Prospective Dutch Shepherd Owner
Welcome Josh. I LOVE your signature, since I always love a good sense of humor. 
Judith Van Neerland Dutch Shepherds 
-
nachosyumm
- Just Whelped
- Posts: 5
- Joined: Tue Apr 19, 2011 3:27 am
- Tell us about yourself: I'm a prospective Dutch Shepherd owner that has fallen in love with this breed and is currently looking for a litter. I have never owned my own dog, but have extensive experience volunteering at animal shelters and dealing with and trying to train my long term girlfriend's unwieldy and independent German Shepherd!
Re: Prospective Dutch Shepherd Owner
haha, thanks, that was the best one i could think ofvneerland wrote:Welcome Josh. I LOVE your signature, since I always love a good sense of humor.
Does anyone have experience with doing search and rescue or avalanche rescue with a dutch shepherd?
I'm Josh from southern California and this is my fabulous signature!
- Marjolein
- Working Dog
- Posts: 2078
- Joined: Sun Jul 11, 2010 7:17 pm
- Tell us about yourself: I'm a Dutchie myself ;-) but live in Germany with Johan and my two DS's Cobber-Dingo and Knivil (Dingo and Ivil to friends...)
- Location: Warbeyen, Germany
- Contact:
Re: Prospective Dutch Shepherd Owner
I have, it suits them really well :dswink"nachosyumm wrote:haha, thanks, that was the best one i could think ofvneerland wrote:Welcome Josh. I LOVE your signature, since I always love a good sense of humor.![]()
Does anyone have experience with doing search and rescue or avalanche rescue with a dutch shepherd?
- vneerland
- Global Moderator

- Posts: 1547
- Joined: Sat Jun 19, 2010 10:10 pm
- Tell us about yourself: *
- Location: Tex@s
Re: Prospective Dutch Shepherd Owner
Really? Can they successfully carry that vat of rum around their necks, like the StBernards do?Marjolein wrote:I have, it suits them really well :dswink"nachosyumm wrote:Does anyone have experience with doing search and rescue or avalanche rescue with a dutch shepherd?
(Come on Marjo. Just the fact that you walked upon a mountainous snow bank with a brindle, does not make it a working avalanche dog)
Judith Van Neerland Dutch Shepherds 
- Marjolein
- Working Dog
- Posts: 2078
- Joined: Sun Jul 11, 2010 7:17 pm
- Tell us about yourself: I'm a Dutchie myself ;-) but live in Germany with Johan and my two DS's Cobber-Dingo and Knivil (Dingo and Ivil to friends...)
- Location: Warbeyen, Germany
- Contact:
Re: Prospective Dutch Shepherd Owner
Dingo actually would be able to carry large amounts of liqour with him, yes
Of course, as of now he has strict instructions to NOT give it to a snow-drowned Dutch girl from Texas with a funny limbo accent 

- vneerland
- Global Moderator

- Posts: 1547
- Joined: Sat Jun 19, 2010 10:10 pm
- Tell us about yourself: *
- Location: Tex@s
Re: Prospective Dutch Shepherd Owner
Judith Van Neerland Dutch Shepherds 
- Marjolein
- Working Dog
- Posts: 2078
- Joined: Sun Jul 11, 2010 7:17 pm
- Tell us about yourself: I'm a Dutchie myself ;-) but live in Germany with Johan and my two DS's Cobber-Dingo and Knivil (Dingo and Ivil to friends...)
- Location: Warbeyen, Germany
- Contact:
Re: Prospective Dutch Shepherd Owner
Heard about that, must be terrifying to be in a storm like thatvneerland wrote:You will most likely not find me under an avalanche anyway. More likely under the debris of the remains of my home, post tornado.
(Still reeling from the storms that hit the south the past two days. They started west of Dallas on Tuesday night, and we did get rough weather and close tornado strikes from it, but thank God nothing like the poor people in Alabama, Mississippi, Tennessee and Georgia)


Facebook page.