Hi, new member here!
- Libbyt
- Puppy
- Posts: 45
- Joined: Wed May 18, 2011 1:29 am
- Tell us about yourself: Hi, I live in NC with my husband, daughter and son. With three Westies and 2 cats already in our family, we recently acquired a Dutch Shepherd as a service dog for our daughter, Sally.
Hi, new member here!
Hi, my name is Libby and we've recently added a 2 year old Dutch Shepherd to our family. Her name is Sasha and she actually belongs to my daughter Sally, who is 21 and has developmental disabilities resulting from a very rare metabolic disorder called 3MGA. Sasha is her new BFF-roommate-protector-you name it! We have 3 Westies and 2 cats in our family as well, and Sasha has just fit in perfectly. She is still fascinated and somewhat distracted by the cats, but at this point it's pretty much all in fun - for her anyway! I will post some photos later when I have time to resize, just wanted to say hello to all on the board.
Libby
Mom of Sally and her DS BFF, Sasha
Mom of Sally and her DS BFF, Sasha
- Marjolein
- Working Dog
- Posts: 2078
- Joined: Sun Jul 11, 2010 7:17 pm
- Tell us about yourself: I'm a Dutchie myself ;-) but live in Germany with Johan and my two DS's Cobber-Dingo and Knivil (Dingo and Ivil to friends...)
- Location: Warbeyen, Germany
- Contact:
-
leih merigian
- Working Dog
- Posts: 1960
- Joined: Wed Jun 30, 2010 3:20 pm
- Tell us about yourself: Had a GSD, am getting a DS puppy in a few weeks. Compete in agility, obedience, and cross train in tons of stuff. Found out about this site from the DS Rescue yahoo list.
Re: Hi, new member here!
Welcome, Libby!
I'm eager to hear more about Sasha...how she helps your daughter, etc.
Also, just FYI, you don't have to resize your photos for this site any longer! Just use a web place like photoshop, and once you've uploaded there and copied the link, you can put the link here and no resizing is needed! I love it.
Where did she come from?
I'm eager to hear more about Sasha...how she helps your daughter, etc.
Also, just FYI, you don't have to resize your photos for this site any longer! Just use a web place like photoshop, and once you've uploaded there and copied the link, you can put the link here and no resizing is needed! I love it.
Where did she come from?
leih merigian
Vrijheid's H'Geyser
Zodiac vom Younghaus (over the bridge)
Central VA (near Charlottesville)
It's never too late to have a happy childhood...
Vrijheid's H'Geyser
Zodiac vom Younghaus (over the bridge)
Central VA (near Charlottesville)
It's never too late to have a happy childhood...
- Libbyt
- Puppy
- Posts: 45
- Joined: Wed May 18, 2011 1:29 am
- Tell us about yourself: Hi, I live in NC with my husband, daughter and son. With three Westies and 2 cats already in our family, we recently acquired a Dutch Shepherd as a service dog for our daughter, Sally.
Re: Hi, new member here!
Thanks for the welcome! Sasha helps primarily with Sally's severe anxiety; it was also important to us to have a dog that would protect Sally, since she spends a little bit of time at home alone during the day. I've checked that off my list of concerns - when Sasha barks and barrels over to the door, she's plenty intimidating. We couldn't have asked for a better match in terms of personality or temperament. We bought her from Dogs by Andy in Mooresville, NC; I had spoken with Andy on the phone and told him a little about Sally's needs, and Sasha was the only dog he showed us. By the 2nd or 3rd visit to his kennel, we knew she was the one - Sasha flopped over in Sally's lap and grinned with her big teeth showing, waiting to get her tummy scratched. Andy's a great matchmaker and trainer!
I'm going to try to post pics below.......
I'm going to try to post pics below.......
- Attachments
-
- IMG_0867.JPG (22 KiB) Viewed 3716 times
-
- IMG_0863.JPG (21.6 KiB) Viewed 3716 times
Libby
Mom of Sally and her DS BFF, Sasha
Mom of Sally and her DS BFF, Sasha
- Kristie E
- Training Dog
- Posts: 321
- Joined: Fri Feb 25, 2011 3:09 am
- Tell us about yourself: I have had a DS for almost a year. Gwen and I are considering participating in PSA and or possible Ring Sport. I also have a Great Dane. I have grown up around working GSDs and my last GSD was a working K9 officer. I am all about dogs and animals in general and want to learn as much as I can about training.
Re: Hi, new member here!
Welcome!! She's very cute! Gwen likes our cat too! they play together. Yesterday I came downstairs to see the cat attacking Gwen over the back of the couch and Gwen putting the cat's head in her mouth. I broke up the play date with my "what the ##$$ is going on here?" They both looked at me with blank stares...
"nuthin"

Kristie
Rommel's Guenhyvar (Gwenice the Menace) BH, PSA PDC sleeve
Rommel's Guenhyvar (Gwenice the Menace) BH, PSA PDC sleeve
- Libbyt
- Puppy
- Posts: 45
- Joined: Wed May 18, 2011 1:29 am
- Tell us about yourself: Hi, I live in NC with my husband, daughter and son. With three Westies and 2 cats already in our family, we recently acquired a Dutch Shepherd as a service dog for our daughter, Sally.
Re: Hi, new member here!
Yeah, I think we're almost to that point with our cats and Sasha! Only one of the cats still runs from her, so, of course, she's only interested in THAT ONE. The other one is practically doing a handstand trying to get Sasha's attention to play, but no-go. She's hiding in a box right now and popping out her head when she hears Sasha's tags tinkling close by.
We're just now beginning to see her goofy-girl side. A while ago I saw her try to sneak down the stairs - she prances and lifts her feet up really high and smiles when she's trying to sneak up on something.
We're just now beginning to see her goofy-girl side. A while ago I saw her try to sneak down the stairs - she prances and lifts her feet up really high and smiles when she's trying to sneak up on something.
- Attachments
-
- IMG_1196.JPG (152.48 KiB) Viewed 3697 times
Libby
Mom of Sally and her DS BFF, Sasha
Mom of Sally and her DS BFF, Sasha
- BishonVonAachen
- Puppy
- Posts: 32
- Joined: Tue Apr 19, 2011 1:31 pm
- Tell us about yourself: I'm a 22 year old part time student who recently got a dutch shepherd puppy who I would like to either do schutzhund with or possibly mondio ring with. He is about 5 months old and been so far trained purely using marker training without any corrections thus far. I am looking for some help with him as he is dog reactive when on leash, inside or in the car while driving.
Re: Hi, new member here!
Welcome and congrats on Sasha.
I hope you have a ball with her and shes everything and more than what you hoped for .
p.s. love the pic of her in the car
Gabriel Sharp
[img][IMG]http://i1125.photobucket.com/albums/l58 ... _edit0.jpg[/img][/img]
[img][IMG]http://i1125.photobucket.com/albums/l58 ... _edit0.jpg[/img][/img]
- Libbyt
- Puppy
- Posts: 45
- Joined: Wed May 18, 2011 1:29 am
- Tell us about yourself: Hi, I live in NC with my husband, daughter and son. With three Westies and 2 cats already in our family, we recently acquired a Dutch Shepherd as a service dog for our daughter, Sally.
Re: Hi, new member here!
Thank you! I took Sasha to work with me today, since my daughter is at her respite program for the weekend. Had her in a meeting that was running longer than expected.........she got up and left the room and I figured she was going to my desk to lay down. Turns out she did go to my office, she got her tennis ball down off the desk, and brought it to me in the meeting, just like "I'm DONE with this boring meeting, let's play!!"
Libby
Mom of Sally and her DS BFF, Sasha
Mom of Sally and her DS BFF, Sasha
- Christie M
- Global Moderator

- Posts: 1279
- Joined: Wed Jun 30, 2010 10:03 pm
- Tell us about yourself: Love my striped beasts.
Re: Hi, new member here!
Hi there,
I love reading and seeing about all of Sasha'a talents and pictures!! If you have a chance, can you visit the user control panel and create a signature? That way you won't need to sign all of your posts!
Welcome to the forum!
I love reading and seeing about all of Sasha'a talents and pictures!! If you have a chance, can you visit the user control panel and create a signature? That way you won't need to sign all of your posts!
Welcome to the forum!
Christie Meyer
http://www.northwoodsk9.com
http://www.dutchshepherdrescue.org
http://www.thunderhawkcanine.com
Be proud of the things that you have taught your dog. Be humbled and grateful for all of the things that your dog has taught you. - Unknown
http://www.northwoodsk9.com
http://www.dutchshepherdrescue.org
http://www.thunderhawkcanine.com
Be proud of the things that you have taught your dog. Be humbled and grateful for all of the things that your dog has taught you. - Unknown
- vneerland
- Global Moderator

- Posts: 1547
- Joined: Sat Jun 19, 2010 10:10 pm
- Tell us about yourself: *
- Location: Tex@s
Re: Hi, new member here!
Hello Herry,
Welcome here. If you don't mind, please post your own introduction under your own new message?
Welcome here. If you don't mind, please post your own introduction under your own new message?
Judith Van Neerland Dutch Shepherds 


Facebook page.
