My fiancé and I got Ellie in March of last year from the San Antonio pound. She was 3 months old and they labeled her a “German Shepherd mix”. We just figured she was mix of German Shepherd and other breeds, but then a few different people at the dog park told us she looked like a Dutch Shepherd so we started looking in to it.
She’s a sweet, well-behaved, energetic dog and she’s been a wonderful part of our lives. She’s great with kids and people in general but at the same time very protective of our house, which I love because my fiancé is home alone a lot. She has a huge prey drive so I’ve had to really work on recall training during our off-leash walks in the woods. Once she took off after some deer and when she came back she had blood on her mouth, none of it hers. I never found the deer though.
I know you guys get this question a lot, but I’d love it if you could look at these pictures and tell me if you think she is indeed a Dutch Shepherd or if she’s a mix of some kind. Thanks in advance for your time.
Yet another "is my dog a DS?" post...
-
Theohazard
- Just Whelped
- Posts: 2
- Joined: Sun May 15, 2011 9:30 pm
- Tell us about yourself: My fiance and I have a dog we got from the local pound who several people have told us looks like a Dutch Shepherd.
Yet another "is my dog a DS?" post...
-Ted from San Antonio
"The cohabitation of dogs and humans would have greatly improved the chances of survival for early human groups, and the domestication of dogs may have been one of the key forces that led to human success."
"The cohabitation of dogs and humans would have greatly improved the chances of survival for early human groups, and the domestication of dogs may have been one of the key forces that led to human success."
- Kristie E
- Training Dog
- Posts: 321
- Joined: Fri Feb 25, 2011 3:09 am
- Tell us about yourself: I have had a DS for almost a year. Gwen and I are considering participating in PSA and or possible Ring Sport. I also have a Great Dane. I have grown up around working GSDs and my last GSD was a working K9 officer. I am all about dogs and animals in general and want to learn as much as I can about training.
Re: Yet another "is my dog a DS?" post...
my unprofessional opinion is that she is dsx gsd mix... and she is VERY cute !!
Kristie
Rommel's Guenhyvar (Gwenice the Menace) BH, PSA PDC sleeve
Rommel's Guenhyvar (Gwenice the Menace) BH, PSA PDC sleeve
- Dutchringgirl
- Global Moderator

- Posts: 5692
- Joined: Sat Feb 12, 2011 3:05 pm
- Tell us about yourself: I am a mom of 6 life forces - 2 kids and 3 dogs 1 hamster. I live in Ct. I have trained Ringsport and Agility and have 2 DS, one 15 and 7 and a Basset Hound Cookie who is 2
- Location: Ct, USA
Re: Yet another "is my dog a DS?" post...
Id have to agree, GSD DS mix. Very adorable
Lisa, Thalie CGC & Sadie, Cookie the Basset, CT




- icvanstra
- Working Dog
- Posts: 1153
- Joined: Fri Aug 22, 2008 1:33 am
- Tell us about yourself: .
- Location: Broad Ripple - the coolest part of Indianapolis - sometimes Amersfoort
Re: Yet another "is my dog a DS?" post...
in my (also unprofessional opinion) - probably a mix.
But it doesn't matter! You guys are happy with Ellie.
But it doesn't matter! You guys are happy with Ellie.
Eric
- - Cino vom Foxtal
- Abigail NORML de Weijer (over the bridge)
- Hannah the DS wanna be (over the bridge)
- Marjolein
- Working Dog
- Posts: 2078
- Joined: Sun Jul 11, 2010 7:17 pm
- Tell us about yourself: I'm a Dutchie myself ;-) but live in Germany with Johan and my two DS's Cobber-Dingo and Knivil (Dingo and Ivil to friends...)
- Location: Warbeyen, Germany
- Contact:
-
Theohazard
- Just Whelped
- Posts: 2
- Joined: Sun May 15, 2011 9:30 pm
- Tell us about yourself: My fiance and I have a dog we got from the local pound who several people have told us looks like a Dutch Shepherd.
Re: Yet another "is my dog a DS?" post...
Thanks for the info, guys. Yeah, we're really happy with her - she's such a great dog.
-Ted from San Antonio
"The cohabitation of dogs and humans would have greatly improved the chances of survival for early human groups, and the domestication of dogs may have been one of the key forces that led to human success."
"The cohabitation of dogs and humans would have greatly improved the chances of survival for early human groups, and the domestication of dogs may have been one of the key forces that led to human success."
-
leih merigian
- Working Dog
- Posts: 1960
- Joined: Wed Jun 30, 2010 3:20 pm
- Tell us about yourself: Had a GSD, am getting a DS puppy in a few weeks. Compete in agility, obedience, and cross train in tons of stuff. Found out about this site from the DS Rescue yahoo list.
Re: Yet another "is my dog a DS?" post...
FWIW, I agree with the others. Her face/muzzle, her coat in general, and expecially the one from the rear...her tail and back leg "panties"...definitely GSD in there.
Really beautiful, tho and sounds like a wonderful girl!
Really beautiful, tho and sounds like a wonderful girl!
leih merigian
Vrijheid's H'Geyser
Zodiac vom Younghaus (over the bridge)
Central VA (near Charlottesville)
It's never too late to have a happy childhood...
Vrijheid's H'Geyser
Zodiac vom Younghaus (over the bridge)
Central VA (near Charlottesville)
It's never too late to have a happy childhood...
- vneerland
- Global Moderator

- Posts: 1547
- Joined: Sat Jun 19, 2010 10:10 pm
- Tell us about yourself: *
- Location: Tex@s
Re: Yet another "is my dog a DS?" post...
Another vote for GSD blood. Nice looking dog!!
Judith Van Neerland Dutch Shepherds 
-
Virginia
- Just Whelped
- Posts: 8
- Joined: Mon Apr 25, 2011 11:59 pm
- Tell us about yourself: One dog - a 3 year old male, Dutch shepherd mix and one cat - a 3 year old female DSH
- Location: Baltimore, MD
Re: Yet another "is my dog a DS?" post...
She's lovely! I agree with the consensus here, I see some GSD in her. In some of the pics she reminds me a lot of a darker, more feminine version of my boy, who is also a GSD/DS mix (we think).


Virginia, mom to:
Bodie - 3 year old DS mix
Loki - 3 year old DSH kitty
Bodie - 3 year old DS mix
Loki - 3 year old DSH kitty
-
GSDNanny
- Training Dog
- Posts: 615
- Joined: Wed Jul 07, 2010 4:13 pm
- Tell us about yourself: Dogs are my life, what can I say. GSDs primarily for nearly 50 years til bringing in my first DutchShep about 4 years ago. GSD rescue for 9 yrs, nearly 200 thru my home, rehabbed, adopted out. Been involved in AKC ob, herding, tracking, agility; Schutzhund-DVG; scent detection (HR-water)&narcotics, some patrol work. Mostly herding training at present on my little farm.
Re: Yet another "is my dog a DS?" post...
Quite confident she is a DS/GSD cross, which is by the way a very nice combo! I have a young male here (Shooter) and he is great. Welcome to you both here on the DSF!!
Denise Gatlin & Zip, Shooter & the K9 crew
Livin' in the deep south - Louisiana


Facebook page.