Hi, all! First let me thank whomever started this forum. It is an excellent source of information and entertainment. We are an active, blended family in the midwest of the US. I was raised by GSDs, but the heartache of loosing soulmates to the health problems which seem to haunt the breed (lost one to cancer and two to hip problems) is herding (couldn't resist the pun op') us to look to other working breeds for our next family member. The DS is very attractive to me as it so closely resembles a GSD and has the added benefit of a short coat! We are needing something athletic and agile and loving, but with the nervous stability to also perform the duties of family protection and constant companion. Most specifically, I would like some information from persons with actual experience with both breeds-what differences can I expect from the DS when compared to the GSD? All the internet chatter seems to indicate that they are very similar in personality, but I am looking for a lifelong commitment and want to be sure we know what we are getting. Also, if there are adoptions in the northern Indiana area of loving, active dogs who are reliable with kids and love to camp, run, hike; I want to be the first in line to meet them! Thanks, everybody.
sc
Searching for DS in Midwest
-
SCFamily
- Just Whelped
- Posts: 6
- Joined: Mon Jun 20, 2011 12:44 pm
- Tell us about yourself: We are an active, blended family living in a small, midwestern town. Our canine history is primarily involving the GSD, but the grief of the health problems which haunt the breed are leading us to take an interest in other working dog types, especially the DS. We are seeking information and a possible adoption.
Searching for DS in Midwest
SCFamily
"All dogs have ADHD" (title of a book I found recently)
"All dogs have ADHD" (title of a book I found recently)
-
GSDNanny
- Training Dog
- Posts: 615
- Joined: Wed Jul 07, 2010 4:13 pm
- Tell us about yourself: Dogs are my life, what can I say. GSDs primarily for nearly 50 years til bringing in my first DutchShep about 4 years ago. GSD rescue for 9 yrs, nearly 200 thru my home, rehabbed, adopted out. Been involved in AKC ob, herding, tracking, agility; Schutzhund-DVG; scent detection (HR-water)&narcotics, some patrol work. Mostly herding training at present on my little farm.
Re: Searching for DS in Midwest
Welcome SC. I too was raised by GSDs, having had them nearly 50 years now. They will always be my breed of choice, yet I came upon my DS five years ago (a rescue) and am smitten with her. She is not for the faint of heart though. I have also had three other DS rescues thru my home for short periods. I can't say there are absolute differences but from my experience, the DS is healthy, very athletic, affectionate and possessive of their people therefore naturally protective (very), intuitive/sharp and with that said, owner should always be one step ahead and assertive. My DS (Zip) leaves a slight 'footprint' if you will in the household or vehicle as she sheds little and literally makes less mess than my GSDs. So you arent interested in getting another German Shedder?!? (kiddin) Zip evidently had a very bad experience with children before me that she has never worked through or forgotten and hates kids so therefore, like Otis in Chicago, she is not allowed with children at all, notta, nil. I dont believe in taking any chances but then again my children are grown and when the grandkids come over, she is put away. If I were you, I would research breeders and the temperament of their dogs first and foremost. I can attest with the GSD that temperament is as much genetic as it is environment. Good luck and keep us posted.
Denise Gatlin & Zip, Shooter & the K9 crew
Livin' in the deep south - Louisiana
- Christie M
- Global Moderator

- Posts: 1279
- Joined: Wed Jun 30, 2010 10:03 pm
- Tell us about yourself: Love my striped beasts.
Re: Searching for DS in Midwest
SC Family - welcome to the forum.
I am sure many people will chime in to answer your questions. In the meantime, please take the time to visit the User Control Panel of this forum and create a signature that includes your name. It helps all of us keep the conversations and individuals straight!
Thanks!
I am sure many people will chime in to answer your questions. In the meantime, please take the time to visit the User Control Panel of this forum and create a signature that includes your name. It helps all of us keep the conversations and individuals straight!
Thanks!
Christie Meyer
http://www.northwoodsk9.com
http://www.dutchshepherdrescue.org
http://www.thunderhawkcanine.com
Be proud of the things that you have taught your dog. Be humbled and grateful for all of the things that your dog has taught you. - Unknown
http://www.northwoodsk9.com
http://www.dutchshepherdrescue.org
http://www.thunderhawkcanine.com
Be proud of the things that you have taught your dog. Be humbled and grateful for all of the things that your dog has taught you. - Unknown
-
Cooper
- Just Whelped
- Posts: 21
- Joined: Fri Jun 10, 2011 6:37 am
- Tell us about yourself: I have a Dutch Shepherd
- Location: Toronto
Re: Searching for DS in Midwest
Welcome,
I had a GSD growing up. The only reason I chose the ds over getting another GSD were the health problems. I think that the GSD has been extremely over bred that it has destroyed them. There are videos on YouTube that illustrate the transformation of the breed to what it is now. I believe they even have a photo dated back to the 1800"s that shows that the breed used to have a straight back. Other than fashion I can see no reason why a dog should have sloping back. Like what is the advantage?
So that's why I chose the DS, it hasn't been over bred. (yet)
Compared to my old GSD..
The dutchie...
Is smarter, you can see when the dog is thinking
Faster, my dog is 7months female and is chasing down husky"s, but is losing to the retired race greyhounds.
Agile, found that it can spin shift it's bodyweight faster
Has more stamina, can go longer. Maybe cause it's shorter hair doesn't get as hot.
And more affectionate.. My dog is a suck..
I love the GSD.. But I love my Dutchie more than anything..
Including my gf of 9 years
I had a GSD growing up. The only reason I chose the ds over getting another GSD were the health problems. I think that the GSD has been extremely over bred that it has destroyed them. There are videos on YouTube that illustrate the transformation of the breed to what it is now. I believe they even have a photo dated back to the 1800"s that shows that the breed used to have a straight back. Other than fashion I can see no reason why a dog should have sloping back. Like what is the advantage?
So that's why I chose the DS, it hasn't been over bred. (yet)
Compared to my old GSD..
The dutchie...
Is smarter, you can see when the dog is thinking
Faster, my dog is 7months female and is chasing down husky"s, but is losing to the retired race greyhounds.
Agile, found that it can spin shift it's bodyweight faster
Has more stamina, can go longer. Maybe cause it's shorter hair doesn't get as hot.
And more affectionate.. My dog is a suck..
I love the GSD.. But I love my Dutchie more than anything..
Including my gf of 9 years
Pass the dutchie, on the left handside !
Cooper..Is my lastname
Cooper..Is my lastname
-
Cooper
- Just Whelped
- Posts: 21
- Joined: Fri Jun 10, 2011 6:37 am
- Tell us about yourself: I have a Dutch Shepherd
- Location: Toronto
Re: Searching for DS in Midwest
Oh and as far as protection goes.. I think it comes natural to them. My dog has no form of protection or guarding training. Outside she always puts herself in between me and strangers. I do shift wOrk and wanted I dog that I wouldn't have to worry about my gf when I'm doing nights. She's always alert.. When I come home in the am she is barking by the time I reach the first step to my house cause she knows it's me. When I'm sleeping during the daytime she is usually on the bed facing the door just waiting and guarding.
Pass the dutchie, on the left handside !
Cooper..Is my lastname
Cooper..Is my lastname
- Marjolein
- Working Dog
- Posts: 2078
- Joined: Sun Jul 11, 2010 7:17 pm
- Tell us about yourself: I'm a Dutchie myself ;-) but live in Germany with Johan and my two DS's Cobber-Dingo and Knivil (Dingo and Ivil to friends...)
- Location: Warbeyen, Germany
- Contact:


Facebook page.
