The yard

Have a photo you want to share?
Post Reply
User avatar
Marjolein
Working Dog
Posts: 2078
Joined: Sun Jul 11, 2010 7:17 pm
Tell us about yourself: I'm a Dutchie myself ;-) but live in Germany with Johan and my two DS's Cobber-Dingo and Knivil (Dingo and Ivil to friends...)
Location: Warbeyen, Germany
Contact:

The yard

Post by Marjolein »

To cool ya'll off, some pics of our yard. Taken on a sunny day, right now all is grey, wet and miserable :mrgreen:

Image

Image

Image

Image
The blue border, still young, but if you look closer:

Image
blue!

Image
more blue...

Image
really blue!

Image
Yard by night :D

Image
Mr. Froggy (no he does not spit poison :lol: )

Image
Froggy hiding from Johan, he "deported" 14 of them 'cause their QAAAAUUUUCKing was keeping him from sleeping at night...

Image
time for a bath

Image
splashhhh

Image
ah, refreshing 8-) (sorry, that was mean, I know :player: )

In addition to Judith's story, we are both no longer landscapers. We met in landscaping-school (??) but both changed work. Johan had his own company and was forced to change jobs after breaking his elbow, which was f*cked up by the medic and now cannot function normally anymore. Landscaping is one of the thougher jobs, so with an injured arm, impossible... He is now in the "indoor plants" business, mainly on hydroculture.
I also did landscaping for 6 years, but stopped when my boss fired the two of us because she finished all the money WE earned for her :evil: I decided that was my chance to change from this (too) heavy job (I was one of the few women in Holland to actually do it) into some lighter work. I now work in a local garden centre.
Just in case anyone wanted to know :mrgreen:
Image
User avatar
Christie M
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Posts: 1279
Joined: Wed Jun 30, 2010 10:03 pm
Tell us about yourself: Love my striped beasts.

Re: The yard

Post by Christie M »

Simply beautiful! Wow. I am extremely envious. I so want a beautiful yard....I just need to win the lotto and hire someone to do it (oh yeah, and maintain it) for me!
Christie Meyer
http://www.northwoodsk9.com
http://www.dutchshepherdrescue.org
http://www.thunderhawkcanine.com

Be proud of the things that you have taught your dog. Be humbled and grateful for all of the things that your dog has taught you. - Unknown
Sugars Mom
Working Dog
Posts: 1734
Joined: Thu Mar 03, 2011 12:16 am
Tell us about yourself: I adopted a Dutch Shepherd mix (without knowing what she was) from the SPCA here in Victoria BC and am now trying to learn everything I can about this breed. My husband and I work from home most of the time so I thought it was time to get a puppy! We have his 2 boys here half the time and we wanted a nice family dog.

Sugar looks like a miniature Dutch Shepherd with floppy ears, and has every ounce of DS traits in her little body!

I hope to learn from other DS owners and share doggy experiences.
Location: Victoria BC

Re: The yard

Post by Sugars Mom »

Very nice garden and photos!
Sue (and Sugar)

Image
leih merigian
Working Dog
Posts: 1960
Joined: Wed Jun 30, 2010 3:20 pm
Tell us about yourself: Had a GSD, am getting a DS puppy in a few weeks. Compete in agility, obedience, and cross train in tons of stuff. Found out about this site from the DS Rescue yahoo list.

Re: The yard

Post by leih merigian »

Absolutely gorgeous! You take such beautiful pictures, Marjolein.

It's nice to know a little bit about your background, too! (background, get it? ha ha)
leih merigian
Vrijheid's H'Geyser
Zodiac vom Younghaus (over the bridge)
Central VA (near Charlottesville)
It's never too late to have a happy childhood...
User avatar
Dutchringgirl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Posts: 5692
Joined: Sat Feb 12, 2011 3:05 pm
Tell us about yourself: I am a mom of 6 life forces - 2 kids and 3 dogs 1 hamster. I live in Ct. I have trained Ringsport and Agility and have 2 DS, one 15 and 7 and a Basset Hound Cookie who is 2
Location: Ct, USA

Re: The yard

Post by Dutchringgirl »

wow ! Both the pictures and your yard are breathtaking !
Lisa, Thalie CGC & Sadie, Cookie the Basset, CT
ImageImage
GSDNanny
Training Dog
Posts: 615
Joined: Wed Jul 07, 2010 4:13 pm
Tell us about yourself: Dogs are my life, what can I say. GSDs primarily for nearly 50 years til bringing in my first DutchShep about 4 years ago. GSD rescue for 9 yrs, nearly 200 thru my home, rehabbed, adopted out. Been involved in AKC ob, herding, tracking, agility; Schutzhund-DVG; scent detection (HR-water)&narcotics, some patrol work. Mostly herding training at present on my little farm.

Re: The yard

Post by GSDNanny »

The photos are wonderful! You are very talented. I especially like the echinacea with the bee and the birds playing in the cool clear cold water! (you are a stinker you know!!) I always wanted a 'blue' garden. I do have a white garden, albeit a wilted one with this heat. Your yard should be published in a magazine. Thanks for sharing!!

Denise Gatlin & Zip, Shooter & the K9 crew

Livin' in the deep south - Louisiana
User avatar
Marjolein
Working Dog
Posts: 2078
Joined: Sun Jul 11, 2010 7:17 pm
Tell us about yourself: I'm a Dutchie myself ;-) but live in Germany with Johan and my two DS's Cobber-Dingo and Knivil (Dingo and Ivil to friends...)
Location: Warbeyen, Germany
Contact:

Re: The yard

Post by Marjolein »

Thanx :D
GSDNanny wrote: (you are a stinker you know!!)
check out the splishy-splashy frog too :whistle:
Image
User avatar
vneerland
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Posts: 1547
Joined: Sat Jun 19, 2010 10:10 pm
Tell us about yourself: *
Location: Tex@s

Re: The yard

Post by vneerland »

GSDNanny wrote: Your yard should be published in a magazine.
That's what I thought! That it should be a featured yard in a gardening magazine. :love:

I always enjoyed my yard (Some trivia for Marjolein: yard is where you plant flowers, etc, garden is mostly perceived as the place were you grow your vegetables) but never managed to mix it very well with my love for dogs. They will inevitably sit (or add an h..) in my flowerbeds. Or dig a nice cool hole right where the daffodils are planted. And male dogs? Well, they love to target any brush, even if that happens to be some garden favorite. I have tried sections, but a low fence means nothing to my hooligans, and a high fence means I don't have a visual with the entire yard. I should not complain, there is plenty of natural beauty, but seeing the utterly groomed landscaping of Marjolein's yard. Yes, it makes me mildly jealous.
Thank you for posting it. I imagine myself walking around in the sunset picture, in that cool oasis.
ImageJudith Van Neerland Dutch Shepherds Image
User avatar
Marjolein
Working Dog
Posts: 2078
Joined: Sun Jul 11, 2010 7:17 pm
Tell us about yourself: I'm a Dutchie myself ;-) but live in Germany with Johan and my two DS's Cobber-Dingo and Knivil (Dingo and Ivil to friends...)
Location: Warbeyen, Germany
Contact:

Re: The yard

Post by Marjolein »

I have the same love for dogs Judith, and in Rheden,where we used to live, the whole (tiny) yard was ruined by Dingo's leg-lifting habit... From that however, I could select some plants that survive constant peeing. One very nice one is "Lavatera oblbia" in all it's forms, ans some nice big grasses (Miscanthus, Carex) and bamboos. Also, I have claimed a piece of turf for my dogs, Where Johan has no say :D nor do I... it's all theirs. They can dig, pee-poo whatever.
Than we have a porch wich is the entrance to the yard, I've learned them they cannot step of the porch ;) This works great (ok, a cat will be chased down but they come back on the porch right away, looking innocent). Now I get to use our lawn as a "practice ground" because I own it, they get to come overthere if I invite them for play or training. I can even track a little with pups 8-) And there is no peeing etc, they have their own space for that. And for the fence, that is why I made the border (=strip of plants, haha) so high, to hide the dog-pen ;)
Here you can see it better, 3 years ago:
Image
On the left you can see a fenced area, with matching doghouse :D Ivil walks in the area that is now lawn.

Image
This is now, taken a month ago. You cannot see the fence anymore. The training in the yard does sometimes still end in some plants being broken, but it always seems to happen in the same corners (taking a shortcut getting to the ball etc.) So I just put heavier, tougher plants there.
But yes, you do have to put a lot of effort in, and I am not sure how it will look after I have gotten myself a new puppy next year... Plan is to use the dog-pen a LOT :D
Image
User avatar
vneerland
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Posts: 1547
Joined: Sat Jun 19, 2010 10:10 pm
Tell us about yourself: *
Location: Tex@s

Re: The yard

Post by vneerland »

:love: Nice job!
ImageJudith Van Neerland Dutch Shepherds Image
User avatar
Schlussdibusti
Working Dog
Posts: 1040
Joined: Mon Jun 13, 2011 6:25 pm
Tell us about yourself: I adopted a DS

Re: The yard

Post by Schlussdibusti »

Seufz, how beautiful. (and no poison spitting frogs).
Now defintely booking the next Lufthansa flight home!
Eva & Marco BH
Jupiter, Florida
Post Reply