New member and his dog

For our new members to introduce themselves
Post Reply
User avatar
gman
Just Whelped
Posts: 8
Joined: Wed Aug 03, 2011 6:40 pm
Tell us about yourself: Almost 50, and my fiancee' and I adopted a dog from Forever Home Sanctuary in Knotts Island NC. We think he is at least part DS, and have had him for only a few days. He will chase a ball until he drops, and we are thinking about Dock Dogs to keep him busy!

New member and his dog

Post by gman »

Hi, Mike here, from Virginia Beach. My fiancee', Paula, and I recently adopted a dog from Forever Home Sanctuary in Knotts Island NC. Although we are not certain, we believe he is at least partially Dutch Shepherd. We were told by the Sanctuary that he had been tested by the local police for possible police dog duty, and the cop told them he was part DS. I believe he was found as a stray and turned into the Norfolk SPCA, and was then rescued. Anyway, he has a tremendous ball drive and will chase and bring the ball back until he literally collapses. He also seems super intelligent and very obedient, although a little stubborn at the same time. We are probably going to take him to the Dock Dogs around here and try that with him since he has such a tremendous ball drive, and can run like the wind and jump really well.

Here is our new pride and joy, Gabriel. He is about 2 years old as best they can tell.
Attachments
Picture 004.jpg
Picture 004.jpg (366.21 KiB) Viewed 2510 times
Mike, owner of a possible DS/mix named Gabriel
User avatar
Dutchringgirl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Posts: 5692
Joined: Sat Feb 12, 2011 3:05 pm
Tell us about yourself: I am a mom of 6 life forces - 2 kids and 3 dogs 1 hamster. I live in Ct. I have trained Ringsport and Agility and have 2 DS, one 15 and 7 and a Basset Hound Cookie who is 2
Location: Ct, USA

Re: New member and his dog

Post by Dutchringgirl »

He is beautiful!! Congratulations on your new family member !
Lisa, Thalie CGC & Sadie, Cookie the Basset, CT
ImageImage
User avatar
vneerland
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Posts: 1547
Joined: Sat Jun 19, 2010 10:10 pm
Tell us about yourself: *
Location: Tex@s

Re: New member and his dog

Post by vneerland »

Welcome Mike, Paula and Gabriel! I love the rich brindle of your boy. If he had had standing ears, I bet you he would really have looked the part. Nice looking boy 8-)
ImageJudith Van Neerland Dutch Shepherds Image
User avatar
gman
Just Whelped
Posts: 8
Joined: Wed Aug 03, 2011 6:40 pm
Tell us about yourself: Almost 50, and my fiancee' and I adopted a dog from Forever Home Sanctuary in Knotts Island NC. We think he is at least part DS, and have had him for only a few days. He will chase a ball until he drops, and we are thinking about Dock Dogs to keep him busy!

Re: New member and his dog

Post by gman »

Thank you Lisa!

A lot of people say he has pit bull in him, which may be true, but his build is nothing like a pit. He maybe a little small for a DS, as he weighs about 45-50lbs.

Here is a video posted by the sanctuary of Gabriel when he first got there and he is the dog that chases the ball originally in the beginning. When you watch this you can see his DS-like build, and I think he kind of runs like a shepherd as well.

http://www.youtube.com/user/foreverhome ... 8VMD4OEc4s
Mike, owner of a possible DS/mix named Gabriel
leih merigian
Working Dog
Posts: 1960
Joined: Wed Jun 30, 2010 3:20 pm
Tell us about yourself: Had a GSD, am getting a DS puppy in a few weeks. Compete in agility, obedience, and cross train in tons of stuff. Found out about this site from the DS Rescue yahoo list.

Re: New member and his dog

Post by leih merigian »

Welcome, Mike and Gabriel!

You rock for adopting your new family member!
leih merigian
Vrijheid's H'Geyser
Zodiac vom Younghaus (over the bridge)
Central VA (near Charlottesville)
It's never too late to have a happy childhood...
User avatar
gman
Just Whelped
Posts: 8
Joined: Wed Aug 03, 2011 6:40 pm
Tell us about yourself: Almost 50, and my fiancee' and I adopted a dog from Forever Home Sanctuary in Knotts Island NC. We think he is at least part DS, and have had him for only a few days. He will chase a ball until he drops, and we are thinking about Dock Dogs to keep him busy!

Re: New member and his dog

Post by gman »

Thanks, Leih! We got a lot in return: a happy, mostly trained dog who sleeps almost all night in his kennel, walks on a leash pretty well, and plays fetch like a champ! I give the Forever Home Sanctuary all the credit in the world for rehabilitating Gabriel to be so well adjusted!

So any clue if he has DS in him at all, or what he might be mixed with if he does? I was thinking DS and boxer or lab. His ears are actually DS looking if you hold them up; they are pointed instead of rounded. He also has the extra long tongue I have seen in pictures of DS's! Looks like it wouldn't fit in his mouth. He is also brilliant and we already have taught him to lie down on his bed while we eat, and he will stay there until we get done, which can be up to 15-20 minutes. Yesterday in the kitchen, I snapped my fingers and said "Go lay down" and he walked into the living room and did it. I hope I can keep up with his intellect!
Attachments
gabe 007.jpg
gabe 007.jpg (200.1 KiB) Viewed 2466 times
gabe 003.jpg
gabe 003.jpg (193.54 KiB) Viewed 2466 times
Last edited by gman on Fri Aug 05, 2011 7:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mike, owner of a possible DS/mix named Gabriel
User avatar
gman
Just Whelped
Posts: 8
Joined: Wed Aug 03, 2011 6:40 pm
Tell us about yourself: Almost 50, and my fiancee' and I adopted a dog from Forever Home Sanctuary in Knotts Island NC. We think he is at least part DS, and have had him for only a few days. He will chase a ball until he drops, and we are thinking about Dock Dogs to keep him busy!

Re: New member and his dog

Post by gman »

I made this little video this morning so you guys can see his look when he is moving. The one thing that makes me think he either has no DS in him, or is mixed with a smaller breed is that he only weighs about 45 lbs, and I have been reading that DS weigh in at 60+

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N4u8AgizljA
Mike, owner of a possible DS/mix named Gabriel
User avatar
Kristie E
Training Dog
Posts: 321
Joined: Fri Feb 25, 2011 3:09 am
Tell us about yourself: I have had a DS for almost a year. Gwen and I are considering participating in PSA and or possible Ring Sport. I also have a Great Dane. I have grown up around working GSDs and my last GSD was a working K9 officer. I am all about dogs and animals in general and want to learn as much as I can about training.

Re: New member and his dog

Post by Kristie E »

Welcome! he lays like Gwen does with her back legs kicked out behind her.. she'll pull herself forward somehow and army crawl when she is supposed to be "Staying"....
Kristie
Rommel's Guenhyvar (Gwenice the Menace) BH, PSA PDC sleeve
Post Reply