Tell us about yourself: Hello , my name is David we are a family of from north carolina but living in sunny florida we had german shepards and now that its been a year since our beloved cupcake has passed away we decided to get a ds as of today we got him from a breeder in mount dora fl and hes 12 weeks so were new to the ds any info is helpful ty
Tell us about yourself: I adopted a Dutch Shepherd mix (without knowing what she was) from the SPCA here in Victoria BC and am now trying to learn everything I can about this breed. My husband and I work from home most of the time so I thought it was time to get a puppy! We have his 2 boys here half the time and we wanted a nice family dog.
Sugar looks like a miniature Dutch Shepherd with floppy ears, and has every ounce of DS traits in her little body!
I hope to learn from other DS owners and share doggy experiences.
Tell us about yourself: Hello , my name is David we are a family of from north carolina but living in sunny florida we had german shepards and now that its been a year since our beloved cupcake has passed away we decided to get a ds as of today we got him from a breeder in mount dora fl and hes 12 weeks so were new to the ds any info is helpful ty
Ty Eva i see your in fl as well im in Orlando area .do you know any good trainers around here? we've just moved out her from NC ,also anyone know lol why my pup don't have any brindle in him ? Ty Dave
Dave Luke 11:21 When a strong man, well armed, guards his palace, his belongings continue in peace.
Tell us about yourself: Dogs are my life, what can I say. GSDs primarily for nearly 50 years til bringing in my first DutchShep about 4 years ago. GSD rescue for 9 yrs, nearly 200 thru my home, rehabbed, adopted out. Been involved in AKC ob, herding, tracking, agility; Schutzhund-DVG; scent detection (HR-water)&narcotics, some patrol work. Mostly herding training at present on my little farm.
Oh my, puppy EAR WALLS! I love that stage when the ears do their thing, changing daily. Which pup is your's and I am assuming these are all from the same litter. If so, then you can see that they are Dutch/Mal cross and that would explain the lack of brindling in some of the pups. Either way, they are adorable 'for now'. Just kiddin (sort of)!! Oh and if you get a chance to train with Ivan, then I am envious. Welcome to the forum!
brooks718 wrote:also anyone know lol why my pup don't have any brindle in him ? Ty Dave
Hey Dave - welcome to the forum!!
Many of the "Dutch Shepherds" in this country are imported from Holland and come out of the KNPV program. Most of them have other breeds behind them - primarily malinois and GSD. Brindle is a dominant trait, so it is possible for 2 brindle dogs to produce a fawn dog if the puppy gets the recessive gene from both parents. Everyone has their own school of thought on what they should be called - fawn Dutch Shepherds or Malinois.
Attached is a diagram I created that shows how the genetics of fawn vs. brindle works.
Tell us about yourself: Hello , my name is David we are a family of from north carolina but living in sunny florida we had german shepards and now that its been a year since our beloved cupcake has passed away we decided to get a ds as of today we got him from a breeder in mount dora fl and hes 12 weeks so were new to the ds any info is helpful ty
Tell us about yourself: I am a mom of 6 life forces - 2 kids and 3 dogs 1 hamster. I live in Ct. I have trained Ringsport and Agility and have 2 DS, one 15 and 7 and a Basset Hound Cookie who is 2