Hello!

For our new members to introduce themselves
User avatar
Schlussdibusti
Working Dog
Posts: 1040
Joined: Mon Jun 13, 2011 6:25 pm
Tell us about yourself: I adopted a DS

Re: Hello!

Post by Schlussdibusti »

Marjolein wrote:One holds the bumper, the other the pup, and try and toss it as close to the bumper as possible Or would they use a slingshot
Is that out of the KNPV training manual? :dsshock:
Eva & Marco BH
Jupiter, Florida
User avatar
vneerland
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Posts: 1547
Joined: Sat Jun 19, 2010 10:10 pm
Tell us about yourself: *
Location: Tex@s

Re: Hello!

Post by vneerland »

Schlussdibusti wrote:Is that out of the KNPV training manual? :dsshock:
I doubt it. The KNPV training manual, if there was one, would put the pup in the slingshot instead. :twisted:
ImageJudith Van Neerland Dutch Shepherds Image
User avatar
Jan
Training Dog
Posts: 405
Joined: Sun Nov 07, 2010 2:58 pm
Tell us about yourself: I like Dutch Shepherddogs, especially the roughcoat. At the moment we have three dogs, two DS (one female who is 10 years and one male who is six months) and one male Laekenois at the age of three. We live in the north of The Netherlands.
Location: Zoutkamp, NL

Re: Hello!

Post by Jan »

Very nice pictures. :wtg: And a great story aswell.
Image
User avatar
Marjolein
Working Dog
Posts: 2078
Joined: Sun Jul 11, 2010 7:17 pm
Tell us about yourself: I'm a Dutchie myself ;-) but live in Germany with Johan and my two DS's Cobber-Dingo and Knivil (Dingo and Ivil to friends...)
Location: Warbeyen, Germany
Contact:

Re: Hello!

Post by Marjolein »

vneerland wrote:
Schlussdibusti wrote:Is that out of the KNPV training manual? :dsshock:
I doubt it. The KNPV training manual, if there was one, would put the pup in the slingshot instead. :twisted:
I have a sorto KNPV manual 8-) "Brave hond" ("Good Dog") Unfortunately there is no dock diving in the KNPV programm (yet...whaha)
(kopietje gekregen van Jan, jaaarren terug...)
Image
GSDNanny
Training Dog
Posts: 615
Joined: Wed Jul 07, 2010 4:13 pm
Tell us about yourself: Dogs are my life, what can I say. GSDs primarily for nearly 50 years til bringing in my first DutchShep about 4 years ago. GSD rescue for 9 yrs, nearly 200 thru my home, rehabbed, adopted out. Been involved in AKC ob, herding, tracking, agility; Schutzhund-DVG; scent detection (HR-water)&narcotics, some patrol work. Mostly herding training at present on my little farm.

Re: Hello!

Post by GSDNanny »

Marj....WHAT!!! Slingshot the puppy!?! Geez! :stickman: :lol:

See that is why I asked how to do it 'properly' my dear. :eek: Living in bubbaville, I dare not ask some of the hunters here how they teach their retrievers. :dsrazz: :dsroll:

I would 'assume' that with a pup you'd go shallow with a bumper, toy, etc and then eventually deeper water once the confidence is built. My question is how they get a dog not to panic in the actual diving pool that is the same depth throughout and at what point they introduce a dog to that pool? I still havent done an online search (that will be next) to learn more. Are there training guides available?

Denise Gatlin & Zip, Shooter & the K9 crew

Livin' in the deep south - Louisiana
User avatar
cake73
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 331
Joined: Wed Jul 07, 2010 10:23 pm
Tell us about yourself: I live in Metro-West Boston with my husband and our rescued Dutch Shepherd, Minnie. She loves anything involving activity. Our first rescued DS, Kaya, loved to tug. Our second rescued DS (who actually turned out to be a GSDx), Marley, loved to nap. I volunteer for the North American Dutch Shepherd Rescue and am a member of the NADSR BOD.
Contact:

Re: Hello!

Post by cake73 »

Very fun photos!

:wtg:

I think we might need a Dock Diving category for future editions of the NADSR calendar...maybe a "We love to fly and it shows" poster or t-shirt for the CafePress store...
Cheryl in MA, with rescued DS
Kaya, adopted January 2006 (over the bridge, September 2014)
Marley, adopted February 2008
Minnie, adopted March 2015


North American Dutch Shepherd Rescue
https://www.facebook.com/NADSR.DSRescue
User avatar
Dutchringgirl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Posts: 5692
Joined: Sat Feb 12, 2011 3:05 pm
Tell us about yourself: I am a mom of 6 life forces - 2 kids and 3 dogs 1 hamster. I live in Ct. I have trained Ringsport and Agility and have 2 DS, one 15 and 7 and a Basset Hound Cookie who is 2
Location: Ct, USA

Re: Hello!

Post by Dutchringgirl »

GSDNanny wrote:Marj....WHAT!!! Slingshot the puppy!?! Geez! :stickman: :lol:
I can help make a slingshot...........oh, did i say that outloud??
Lisa, Thalie CGC & Sadie, Cookie the Basset, CT
ImageImage
User avatar
Marjolein
Working Dog
Posts: 2078
Joined: Sun Jul 11, 2010 7:17 pm
Tell us about yourself: I'm a Dutchie myself ;-) but live in Germany with Johan and my two DS's Cobber-Dingo and Knivil (Dingo and Ivil to friends...)
Location: Warbeyen, Germany
Contact:

Re: Hello!

Post by Marjolein »

Dutchringgirl wrote:
GSDNanny wrote:Marj....WHAT!!! Slingshot the puppy!?! Geez! :stickman: :lol:
I can help make a slingshot...........oh, did i say that outloud??
I have some ideas on that myself, it involves an old tyre, 2 trees and a loooooong bungee cord :whistle:
Image
User avatar
Dutchringgirl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Posts: 5692
Joined: Sat Feb 12, 2011 3:05 pm
Tell us about yourself: I am a mom of 6 life forces - 2 kids and 3 dogs 1 hamster. I live in Ct. I have trained Ringsport and Agility and have 2 DS, one 15 and 7 and a Basset Hound Cookie who is 2
Location: Ct, USA

Re: Hello!

Post by Dutchringgirl »

who would be our first test subject?? I bet Sadie would go far!
Lisa, Thalie CGC & Sadie, Cookie the Basset, CT
ImageImage
User avatar
alspyce
Working Dog
Posts: 1222
Joined: Wed Mar 23, 2011 5:51 pm
Tell us about yourself: I am in New York State. Got my first DS about 14 years ago (more or less as a rescue- lost her in Nov.). After years of GSD's, and a few dogs of other breeds (Rotti/Beauceron/Ger. Shorthaired Pointer/ Yorkie and my current Jack Russell) I now have another DS, 4mo female, no name yet, tho I have a few in mind.
Also have a horse-old quarter horse mare-32.
Can't wait for all the snow to get gone! Spring is coming too slow this year!
Location: Corinth, New York

Re: Hello!

Post by alspyce »

Marjolein wrote:
Dutchringgirl wrote:
GSDNanny wrote:Marj....WHAT!!! Slingshot the puppy!?! Geez! :stickman: :lol:
I can help make a slingshot...........oh, did i say that outloud??
I have some ideas on that myself, it involves an old tyre, 2 trees and a loooooong bungee cord :whistle:
Also good for teaching horses to tie. :lol: Never thought about launching a dog!!!
"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened." Anatole France
Chris Carlton/Lyric
User avatar
Dutchringgirl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Posts: 5692
Joined: Sat Feb 12, 2011 3:05 pm
Tell us about yourself: I am a mom of 6 life forces - 2 kids and 3 dogs 1 hamster. I live in Ct. I have trained Ringsport and Agility and have 2 DS, one 15 and 7 and a Basset Hound Cookie who is 2
Location: Ct, USA

Re: Hello!

Post by Dutchringgirl »

see what happens when you get great minds together :player:
Lisa, Thalie CGC & Sadie, Cookie the Basset, CT
ImageImage
User avatar
Flying Dutchman
Puppy
Posts: 39
Joined: Mon Oct 10, 2011 4:31 pm
Tell us about yourself: I have five dogs: Alex, a chow mix who is now about 14, and four Dutch shepherds (all rescued DS): Ku (Hawaiian God of War), Kane (sounds like "Kahnay"; Hawaiian God of the Sun), Kanaloa (Hawaiian God of the Sea) and Kapua (Hawaiian gods of mischief - the Mischief Makers). Alex is our cheerleader and keeps the 4 DS in line. Three of the DS currently compete in DockDogs and we are trying to convince Lo that water is not evil. Our team name is Hawaiian by Heart which comes from the old joke by my husband that he is "Dutch by blood, Hawaiian by Heart." Our main goal is to promote having fun with your dog (and by doing so becoming partners) and supporting the rescue of the wonderful animals out there in need of homes.

We lost our big lady, Kelley, in May 2012 to cancer and she joins several other angel dogs who are now watching over us.
Location: Denver, Colorado
Contact:

Re: Hello!

Post by Flying Dutchman »

Dock jumping is a ton of fun and what I love about it is that any dog can do it and you can take it as seriously as you want. I started in DockDogs with an 11 year old Lab who had cancer and he never jumped more than 5 feet, 11 inches. Pretty much just a straight belly flop into the water but he didn't care! He had tons of drive and thought he was a rock star up there (which he was). He competed until he was 13 and loved every minute of it.
Do you know if there are any training clubs in Louisiana or east Texas? I havent done an online search yet but would be something fun for my dogs to do, and very low impact for me

How do you start pups out in training?
There is a club in Texas and I know some great people down there and they have a few events each year. Here is their website: http://www.heartoftexasdockdogs.com/dockdiving.php
I would 'assume' that with a pup you'd go shallow with a bumper, toy, etc and then eventually deeper water once the confidence is built. My question is how they get a dog not to panic in the actual diving pool that is the same depth throughout and at what point they introduce a dog to that pool? I still havent done an online search (that will be next) to learn more. Are there training guides available?
As for how to train a dog to do this...each dog is an individual and it really depends on the dog in regard to how quickly they will pick it up (or if they will even jump at all). We always say that it's more about toy drive and confidence then it is about liking water or swimming. That high drive can override their distaste for getting wet and they need confidence to jump willingly into a pool that can look empty to them due to the clear water.

When we got Ku in June we took him to an event 3 days later but I didn't even try to have him jump or put him on the dock as I wanted to start slowly and not overwhelm him. So we took him up the stairs to the ramp (each dock has an exit ramp where dogs come out of the water after they jump) and coaxed him down so he could see that it was water. Well, it became pretty clear he hadn't spent any time in water but he wanted the bumper so my husband tossed it out a few feet. His drive kicked in and he went for it, but he went totally under water and was NOT happy when he resurfaced. We expected this so my friend was on the side of the pool to prevent him from climbing out. So all we did a few more times is work with him to just get his feet wet and retrieve the bumper at the end of the ramp.

After that I took him to a reservoir where I could go in with him (nice sandy bottom where I could walk out a long ways) and he caught on pretty quick. So we began working in open water to build his confidence with swimming and then moved to our indoor practice pool (we are lucky to have a facility here that has a 40 foot long dock and pool) and first did the "Place and Send" method which is where you throw the toy out from the end of the dock, set your dog in the desired position on the dock, and then send them to "GET IT!!". For newbies is best to work at the very end first, only tossing the toy a few feet out and having them jump from the edge or from a few feet back. Then you gradually increase both of those distances. Once you have that down and your dog isn't hesitating at the end of the dock you can work on the "Chase" technique which is where you stand at the end of the dock, your dog sits/stays at the other end, and you have to time it so you release them and you throw it so they are chasing it in the air. This is the technique where you see the biggest jumps because it really motivates the dog to stretch and reach for that toy.

To build up for Chase you should also do some land training drills where you practice your timing and you build the drive for the toy. And you should choose a toy that is "special" and you only use for certain things. It only has to float and be non-edible. So much of this technique depends on the handler's skills so just practicing throws into a laundry basket or hula hoop is also helpful. All of this is the basis for Big Air which is the distance competition and will give you a foundation to move on to Speed Retrieve and Extreme Vertical.

We've been very lucky that Ku is somewhat of a prodigy. He has progressed every quickly...from not really knowing how to swim to jumping nearly 24 feet in Big Air and 6 feet, 8 inches in Extreme Vertical. There are lots of Malinois who are taking the dock jumping world by storm but since Dutchies are so rare there aren't that many. But both Druid and a dog named Jager back East went to the World Championship this year. It's a great sport for these dogs and Ku just absolutely loves it. Now the hard work begins and falls on me to better my skills as a handler and to condition him more since he was in pretty poor shape when we got him.

Sorry for the long-winded reply but I love to get people involved in the sport and I encourage you to go give it a try if there is an event in your area. Anyone is welcome to enter as long as the dog is at least 6 months old.

And I LOVE this:
I think we might need a Dock Diving category for future editions of the NADSR calendar...maybe a "We love to fly and it shows" poster or t-shirt
Let me know if you have any other questions!
Heather
Denver, Colorado
The Dutch Army: Ku, Kane ("Kahnay"), Kanaloa and Kapua
Their General: Alex
Angels: Kelley, Gryphon, & Casey
http://www.rockymountaindockdogs.com

Be Your Dog's Hero. Support http://www.chaseawayk9cancer.org


http://dutchshepherdrescue.org/
User avatar
Marjolein
Working Dog
Posts: 2078
Joined: Sun Jul 11, 2010 7:17 pm
Tell us about yourself: I'm a Dutchie myself ;-) but live in Germany with Johan and my two DS's Cobber-Dingo and Knivil (Dingo and Ivil to friends...)
Location: Warbeyen, Germany
Contact:

Re: Hello!

Post by Marjolein »

Dutchringgirl wrote:who would be our first test subject?? I bet Sadie would go far!
if I'm lucky, I got a whole bunch of small ones to practise with in about 6 weeks :player: :whistle:
Image
User avatar
cake73
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 331
Joined: Wed Jul 07, 2010 10:23 pm
Tell us about yourself: I live in Metro-West Boston with my husband and our rescued Dutch Shepherd, Minnie. She loves anything involving activity. Our first rescued DS, Kaya, loved to tug. Our second rescued DS (who actually turned out to be a GSDx), Marley, loved to nap. I volunteer for the North American Dutch Shepherd Rescue and am a member of the NADSR BOD.
Contact:

Re: Hello!

Post by cake73 »

Marjolein wrote:
GSDNanny wrote: How do you start pups out in training?
Whahaha, I have a picture of that in my mind :dssmile:
One holds the bumper, the other the pup, and try and toss it as close to the bumper as possible :lol: Or would they use a slingshot :roll: :mrgreen: :lol:
:dsshock:

LOL!
Cheryl in MA, with rescued DS
Kaya, adopted January 2006 (over the bridge, September 2014)
Marley, adopted February 2008
Minnie, adopted March 2015


North American Dutch Shepherd Rescue
https://www.facebook.com/NADSR.DSRescue
User avatar
Dutchringgirl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Posts: 5692
Joined: Sat Feb 12, 2011 3:05 pm
Tell us about yourself: I am a mom of 6 life forces - 2 kids and 3 dogs 1 hamster. I live in Ct. I have trained Ringsport and Agility and have 2 DS, one 15 and 7 and a Basset Hound Cookie who is 2
Location: Ct, USA

Re: Hello!

Post by Dutchringgirl »

Marjolein wrote:
if I'm lucky, I got a whole bunch of small ones to practise with in about 6 weeks :player: :whistle:
can we fit all six at once? Flying Dutchies (Flying Dutchman) :whistle:
Lisa, Thalie CGC & Sadie, Cookie the Basset, CT
ImageImage
Post Reply