Hello from Croatia, Europe!

For our new members to introduce themselves
Post Reply
User avatar
Olie
Green Dog
Posts: 236
Joined: Fri Apr 20, 2012 7:00 am
Tell us about yourself: I am a 32 y.o. veterinarian working in a food microbiology lab, Olaf is cca 1-1,5 y.o. DS adopted from shelter. We are from Croatia.

Hello from Croatia, Europe!

Post by Olie »

Hello!
Two days from now i will adopt a DS beautiful boy named Olaf. He is somewhere between 1 and 1,5 years old.

Around 2,5 months ago he was found together with his sister in a hole in the ground in a forest.
His right hind leg was fractured and frozen (since it was very cold then and there was a lot of snow). Good people took them and took care of them. They (volonteers and a vet) tried very hard to save the leg, but it was beyond repair so it had to be amputated.
His sister was adopted very soon (he missed her sooo much), but nobody was interested in Olaf.

2 weeks a go I went to meet him and it was love at first site (at least at my part, he will say for himself :)) He is very calm, gentle and beautiful dog. there is no sign of any nervousness or anxiety. :love:

Soooo in 2 days from today i will get a new family member! yay
He will have to learn to stay home alone (i live alone) and not to pull the leash (altho he doesnt pull to a choking point, he just keeps the leash tense). I somehow feel everything else will be piece of cake.

I have encountered many dogs in my life (ok that sounds like im 210 years old LOL), but only 2 times i had a very strange feeling about a dog:
1. a friends`s friend`s border collie looking into my eyes! :eek: that was scary. i felt like my brain is being scanned for memories, thoughts and secrets
2. olaf makes me feel like there is much more to him. he is very calm, cool about everything (people, dogs, cats, traffic, children), but alert and curious, seams very smart; but i somehow feel there is much more of him in there. like someone has to reach to him and make him blossom (im sorry if that sounds like bulls**t, but thats how he makes me feel)


This is him:

Image
Image
Image

With his sister, Gema (she has white chest)
Image


P.S.
nobody can know for sure if they are purebred DS, because there is nothing known about their past and especially because they are a rare breed here in Croatia, but they both look like DS.
Barbara & Olaf
Croatia, Europe (that`s why my english is bad)
Image
User avatar
Schlussdibusti
Working Dog
Posts: 1040
Joined: Mon Jun 13, 2011 6:25 pm
Tell us about yourself: I adopted a DS

Re: Hello from Croatia, Europe!

Post by Schlussdibusti »

Welcome! :wave:
What a beautiful dog, your Olaf! What a sad story but a happy ending :love:

P.S. in the last pic I count 4 legs
Eva & Marco BH
Jupiter, Florida
Lauren
Training Dog
Posts: 540
Joined: Thu Jul 21, 2011 11:29 pm
Tell us about yourself: I am a wife, mother of 2 kids, 3 cats, 1 Standard Poodle (10 yrs) and Xena, a Dutch Shepherd Puppy.

Re: Hello from Croatia, Europe!

Post by Lauren »

What a handsome boy! you two are lucky to have found each other. :P
Lauren from Western NC
User avatar
felixone123
Working Dog
Posts: 1076
Joined: Tue Aug 09, 2011 7:08 pm
Tell us about yourself: Rescued our first DS male on Dec 27, 2011. Approx 4 yrs. Rescued from NADSR. His name is Odin. Adopted a 2nd DS from NADSR June 27, 2012. Kai - 6 months.
Location: Fishkill, NY

Re: Hello from Croatia, Europe!

Post by felixone123 »

welcome and thank you for taking him into your life. Very handsome. Hope to see more pics soon.
Barbara, Odin & Kai
User avatar
alspyce
Working Dog
Posts: 1222
Joined: Wed Mar 23, 2011 5:51 pm
Tell us about yourself: I am in New York State. Got my first DS about 14 years ago (more or less as a rescue- lost her in Nov.). After years of GSD's, and a few dogs of other breeds (Rotti/Beauceron/Ger. Shorthaired Pointer/ Yorkie and my current Jack Russell) I now have another DS, 4mo female, no name yet, tho I have a few in mind.
Also have a horse-old quarter horse mare-32.
Can't wait for all the snow to get gone! Spring is coming too slow this year!
Location: Corinth, New York

Re: Hello from Croatia, Europe!

Post by alspyce »

Beautiful boy. So glad you were able to see past his lost leg and take him into your heart.
"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened." Anatole France
Chris Carlton/Lyric
User avatar
Olie
Green Dog
Posts: 236
Joined: Fri Apr 20, 2012 7:00 am
Tell us about yourself: I am a 32 y.o. veterinarian working in a food microbiology lab, Olaf is cca 1-1,5 y.o. DS adopted from shelter. We are from Croatia.

Re: Hello from Croatia, Europe!

Post by Olie »

Thank you!
To be honest, i am amazed that noone else asked for him, being such a handsome and good dog.

I`m afraid I dont have a lot of pics, but i have short movie http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YMQbpoue ... 4xLKNMVgo=. I dont know why he hesitated going down the stairs, i hope he wasn`t in pain.

Btw, he was neutered just yestrday.

Argh, i cant wait monday! :hic:
Barbara & Olaf
Croatia, Europe (that`s why my english is bad)
Image
Sugars Mom
Working Dog
Posts: 1734
Joined: Thu Mar 03, 2011 12:16 am
Tell us about yourself: I adopted a Dutch Shepherd mix (without knowing what she was) from the SPCA here in Victoria BC and am now trying to learn everything I can about this breed. My husband and I work from home most of the time so I thought it was time to get a puppy! We have his 2 boys here half the time and we wanted a nice family dog.

Sugar looks like a miniature Dutch Shepherd with floppy ears, and has every ounce of DS traits in her little body!

I hope to learn from other DS owners and share doggy experiences.
Location: Victoria BC

Re: Hello from Croatia, Europe!

Post by Sugars Mom »

Welcome to the forum.

Wow, beautiful dog and rescue story. Sounds like it was meant to be!

I can't wait to see more pics and hear more stories. Here's hoping the weekend flies by for you!
Sue (and Sugar)

Image
GSDNanny
Training Dog
Posts: 615
Joined: Wed Jul 07, 2010 4:13 pm
Tell us about yourself: Dogs are my life, what can I say. GSDs primarily for nearly 50 years til bringing in my first DutchShep about 4 years ago. GSD rescue for 9 yrs, nearly 200 thru my home, rehabbed, adopted out. Been involved in AKC ob, herding, tracking, agility; Schutzhund-DVG; scent detection (HR-water)&narcotics, some patrol work. Mostly herding training at present on my little farm.

Re: Hello from Croatia, Europe!

Post by GSDNanny »

So nice to hear such a heart-warming story with what looks to be a love story in the making!! Welcome here and keep us posted.

Denise Gatlin & Zip, Shooter & the K9 crew

Livin' in the deep south - Louisiana
User avatar
Christie M
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Posts: 1279
Joined: Wed Jun 30, 2010 10:03 pm
Tell us about yourself: Love my striped beasts.

Re: Hello from Croatia, Europe!

Post by Christie M »

Welcome to the forum!!

What a great story and what a lucky dog to have found someone who loves him already. He is absolutely beautiful!! I can't wait to hear the stories about his transition into your life!!

If you can, please take a minute to visit the User Control Panel (link is located in the upper right of each screen) and create a signature that includes your name. It helps us keep everyone's posts straight!

Congrats on your new addition and thank you for saving a life!!
Christie Meyer
http://www.northwoodsk9.com
http://www.dutchshepherdrescue.org
http://www.thunderhawkcanine.com

Be proud of the things that you have taught your dog. Be humbled and grateful for all of the things that your dog has taught you. - Unknown
User avatar
wahinelf
Green Dog
Posts: 246
Joined: Fri Dec 03, 2010 6:18 am
Tell us about yourself: I recently moved from CA to MA (10/12), Ellie (my 4 year old DS mix) and I are adjusting together!
Location: Boston, MA
Contact:

Re: Hello from Croatia, Europe!

Post by wahinelf »

Olaf is SO handsome! Congrats - let us know how it goes. And the blossoming thing doesn't sound like BS, I know what you mean. :D
-Aubrey

Image

Eleanor CGC FM TF-II, my 5YO DSX
User avatar
vneerland
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Posts: 1547
Joined: Sat Jun 19, 2010 10:10 pm
Tell us about yourself: *
Location: Tex@s

Re: Hello from Croatia, Europe!

Post by vneerland »

Welcome! :wtg: Olaf sure is a handsome boy, and he does, indeed, look like a DS. I am sorry he had such a rough start, but something tells me he will be living the good life from now on. Thank you for adopting him.
Great you have you aboard. (and like Christie already said: looking forward to learning more about you, Ollie's owner, as well)
ImageJudith Van Neerland Dutch Shepherds Image
User avatar
Olie
Green Dog
Posts: 236
Joined: Fri Apr 20, 2012 7:00 am
Tell us about yourself: I am a 32 y.o. veterinarian working in a food microbiology lab, Olaf is cca 1-1,5 y.o. DS adopted from shelter. We are from Croatia.

Re: Hello from Croatia, Europe!

Post by Olie »

Today! Today! It`s today!!!! :eek: :music3: :horse: :balloons:
Barbara & Olaf
Croatia, Europe (that`s why my english is bad)
Image
User avatar
Olie
Green Dog
Posts: 236
Joined: Fri Apr 20, 2012 7:00 am
Tell us about yourself: I am a 32 y.o. veterinarian working in a food microbiology lab, Olaf is cca 1-1,5 y.o. DS adopted from shelter. We are from Croatia.

Re: Hello from Croatia, Europe!

Post by Olie »

Oh i forgot to put in a few words about me.
Im a 32years old woman (girl? whatever..). Im a veterinarian, but i dont work with animals, I work in food microbiology lab. I wanted to work in a vet ambulance/hospital, but I got my first job here and i stayed. And its not really time to be picky about the jobs :(

I always wanted a dog and im a huge fan of animals of any kind and especially dogs, but I was never able to have one, since i was living with my parents and they never approved dogs in the apartment.
I also have tropical fish in 70L tank.
Barbara & Olaf
Croatia, Europe (that`s why my english is bad)
Image
User avatar
alspyce
Working Dog
Posts: 1222
Joined: Wed Mar 23, 2011 5:51 pm
Tell us about yourself: I am in New York State. Got my first DS about 14 years ago (more or less as a rescue- lost her in Nov.). After years of GSD's, and a few dogs of other breeds (Rotti/Beauceron/Ger. Shorthaired Pointer/ Yorkie and my current Jack Russell) I now have another DS, 4mo female, no name yet, tho I have a few in mind.
Also have a horse-old quarter horse mare-32.
Can't wait for all the snow to get gone! Spring is coming too slow this year!
Location: Corinth, New York

Re: Hello from Croatia, Europe!

Post by alspyce »

Olie wrote:Today! Today! It`s today!!!! :eek: :music3: :horse: :balloons:
Very exciting! You must post pictures!
"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened." Anatole France
Chris Carlton/Lyric
User avatar
felixone123
Working Dog
Posts: 1076
Joined: Tue Aug 09, 2011 7:08 pm
Tell us about yourself: Rescued our first DS male on Dec 27, 2011. Approx 4 yrs. Rescued from NADSR. His name is Odin. Adopted a 2nd DS from NADSR June 27, 2012. Kai - 6 months.
Location: Fishkill, NY

Re: Hello from Croatia, Europe!

Post by felixone123 »

How exciting!! Post pics as soon as you can!! Congrats on your new pup!! :cheer:
Barbara, Odin & Kai
User avatar
Marjolein
Working Dog
Posts: 2078
Joined: Sun Jul 11, 2010 7:17 pm
Tell us about yourself: I'm a Dutchie myself ;-) but live in Germany with Johan and my two DS's Cobber-Dingo and Knivil (Dingo and Ivil to friends...)
Location: Warbeyen, Germany
Contact:

Re: Hello from Croatia, Europe!

Post by Marjolein »

Nice dog!
How is he doing in his new home?
Image
User avatar
lisaanne
Puppy
Posts: 60
Joined: Tue Apr 03, 2012 8:37 pm
Tell us about yourself: 40 something mom of 3 sons, 2 living....mother of one beagle girl, Puddles age 9 and our yet to be determined "shepherd" type girl Beta, age 2. Beta was rescued from an area no-kill shelter and was assumed to be a GSD/Greyhound mix, perhaps? I sure cannot find anything greyhound about the girl, sought out Brindle Shepherds and came across the DS, and began to wonder.....she is the absolute best dog anyone could want.
Location: kenosha

Re: Hello from Croatia, Europe!

Post by lisaanne »

Dr. Barbara, what a sweet story and handsome pup! (looks like a dutchie to these eyes) He is simply gorgeous....hope he makes your world a happy one!

Congrats!
Lisa from Kenosha Wisconsin.....
half-way between Chicago and Milwaukee on the heart of Lake Michigan

Mom to Puddles (9 y/o f beagle) and Beta (2 y/o f DS or other shepherd mix?)
Post Reply