Hello!
My name is Kat, I am zoo keeper turned dog trainer. I was searching for the same rush with dogs that I used to get working with the zoo animals, then I came across Schutzhund. I was totally in awe of bringing those dogs to that level of arousal and then asking them to cap it and listen. I was hooked- I did a lot of research and found my monster he is out of Battle Ridge K9s in WV RIP is the father and Jetta the mother.
I have a 10 m black dutchie, I guess he is known as a black malinois in the States? We also live with a 5 yr old beagle, get them rabbits.
I am starting for the first time in protection sports and we have our foundation starting in both Modio and Schutzhund.
I am very glad I found this forum, I'm trying to learn as much as I can.
Thanks!
Kat
Hello from CA
-
Black Mal
- Just Whelped
- Posts: 17
- Joined: Tue Oct 26, 2010 4:29 pm
- Tell us about yourself: I live with my first Dutchie/Black Mal which was chosen after much debate which breed would be my first working dog. I love this dog! I love protection sports!
I used to be a zoo keeper and bird trainer. Dogs are so much more willing! I like training to compete and training for training's sake. I am a huge fan of working dogs- especially the people who train them with motivation and less pressure. - Location: Bay Area, CA
Hello from CA
Kat
Diablo Black Mal
Weasley Beagle
Phelonie Goffin's Cockatoo
Diablo Black Mal
Weasley Beagle
Phelonie Goffin's Cockatoo
-
leih merigian
- Working Dog
- Posts: 1960
- Joined: Wed Jun 30, 2010 3:20 pm
- Tell us about yourself: Had a GSD, am getting a DS puppy in a few weeks. Compete in agility, obedience, and cross train in tons of stuff. Found out about this site from the DS Rescue yahoo list.
Re: Hello from CA
Welcome, Kat!
Pictures are always welcome, too
.
Will look forward to hearing about your training adventures...
Pictures are always welcome, too
Will look forward to hearing about your training adventures...
leih merigian
Vrijheid's H'Geyser
Zodiac vom Younghaus (over the bridge)
Central VA (near Charlottesville)
It's never too late to have a happy childhood...
Vrijheid's H'Geyser
Zodiac vom Younghaus (over the bridge)
Central VA (near Charlottesville)
It's never too late to have a happy childhood...
-
Black Mal
- Just Whelped
- Posts: 17
- Joined: Tue Oct 26, 2010 4:29 pm
- Tell us about yourself: I live with my first Dutchie/Black Mal which was chosen after much debate which breed would be my first working dog. I love this dog! I love protection sports!
I used to be a zoo keeper and bird trainer. Dogs are so much more willing! I like training to compete and training for training's sake. I am a huge fan of working dogs- especially the people who train them with motivation and less pressure. - Location: Bay Area, CA
Re: Hello from CA
How do I post pics? I tried- he's so handsome!
Kat
Diablo Black Mal
Weasley Beagle
Phelonie Goffin's Cockatoo
Diablo Black Mal
Weasley Beagle
Phelonie Goffin's Cockatoo
- vneerland
- Global Moderator

- Posts: 1547
- Joined: Sat Jun 19, 2010 10:10 pm
- Tell us about yourself: *
- Location: Tex@s
Re: Hello from CA
Welcome Kat,Black Mal wrote:I have a 10 m black dutchie, I guess he is known as a black malinois in the States?
Looking forward to your pictures. Black malinois are mostly descendants from Andor van den IJsselvloed, a Groenendaeler (Belgian sheepdog) from the 70's who did well in KNPV. He was bred to the malinois population, since the KNPV criterium was workability, not breed betterment, and thus the dominant black of the Groenendael was introduced into the dominant short haired population of Malinois. 99.9% of the Dutch black malinois owe their coloring to Andor, even after 40 years. With (dominant) black being dominant over brindle, a solid black Dutch Shepherd does not really happen. One parent will have to be solid black for that coloring to occur.
Judith Van Neerland Dutch Shepherds 
-
Black Mal
- Just Whelped
- Posts: 17
- Joined: Tue Oct 26, 2010 4:29 pm
- Tell us about yourself: I live with my first Dutchie/Black Mal which was chosen after much debate which breed would be my first working dog. I love this dog! I love protection sports!
I used to be a zoo keeper and bird trainer. Dogs are so much more willing! I like training to compete and training for training's sake. I am a huge fan of working dogs- especially the people who train them with motivation and less pressure. - Location: Bay Area, CA
Re: Hello from CA
So his mother is solid black Jetta obviously not registered. His father is Vandalia RIP son of Land of Oz Jett X Land of Oz Izzy. That is very interesting information thank you. So I guess you don't poo poo the black mals out of here, jk- mentally is there a difference or is it only manifested in a coat color?
Kat
Diablo 10 m DS
Weasley 5 y Beagle
Kat
Diablo 10 m DS
Weasley 5 y Beagle
- turnnburn52984
- Training Dog
- Posts: 274
- Joined: Sat Sep 18, 2010 5:12 am
- Tell us about yourself: Lifelong animal person- I professionally trained horses before my children were born. New to DS's, but not new to high drive working dogs. :) Currently have a 1 1/2 yr old DS, Koenig, and a 2 yr old English Pointer Sara. They are both rescues. Oh yes, I work at a multi species non-profit animal rescue, on Bainbridge Island, WA
Want to know anything else, just ask! - Location: Tacoma, WA
Re: Hello from CA
Handsome dogs! Welcome! We're just starting in protection sports too. 
Kelly

Koenig

Koenig
-
Black Mal
- Just Whelped
- Posts: 17
- Joined: Tue Oct 26, 2010 4:29 pm
- Tell us about yourself: I live with my first Dutchie/Black Mal which was chosen after much debate which breed would be my first working dog. I love this dog! I love protection sports!
I used to be a zoo keeper and bird trainer. Dogs are so much more willing! I like training to compete and training for training's sake. I am a huge fan of working dogs- especially the people who train them with motivation and less pressure. - Location: Bay Area, CA
Re: Hello from CA
@tuurnnburn-
Which sports? I look forward to hearing the progress! In our AM session today he did a 10min down-stay with me about 40ft away, I verbally corrected him twice before he got up but I could see that back leg twitching! So proud of him, he just stayed focused on me for the whole 10!
Which sports? I look forward to hearing the progress! In our AM session today he did a 10min down-stay with me about 40ft away, I verbally corrected him twice before he got up but I could see that back leg twitching! So proud of him, he just stayed focused on me for the whole 10!
Kat
Diablo Black Mal
Weasley Beagle
Phelonie Goffin's Cockatoo
Diablo Black Mal
Weasley Beagle
Phelonie Goffin's Cockatoo
- vneerland
- Global Moderator

- Posts: 1547
- Joined: Sat Jun 19, 2010 10:10 pm
- Tell us about yourself: *
- Location: Tex@s
Re: Hello from CA
Black mals are welcome here. As are fawn mals, GSD's and any other breed imagineable.Black Mal wrote:So his mother is solid black Jetta obviously not registered. His father is Vandalia RIP son of Land of Oz Jett X Land of Oz Izzy. That is very interesting information thank you. So I guess you don't poo poo the black mals out of here, jk- mentally is there a difference or is it only manifested in a coat color?
Difference? It often is an individual thing. I don't think you can generalize: "All DS's are blabla" "All Malinois are blabla" I tend to think there is no such a thing as all dogs in a breed doing one thing or another. A lot of a dogs characteristics will depend on the bloodline. Some on the way he is raised and some other things may indeed be related to breed. I have seen many Dutch shepherds, and most are intelligent, often more so than other breeds (by applying their brains to what they are being asked to do) but as far as drive, or behavior? One size fits few, or so it seems.
Diabolo looks like he is going to be tall and leggy. And shiney
Judith Van Neerland Dutch Shepherds 
-
Black Mal
- Just Whelped
- Posts: 17
- Joined: Tue Oct 26, 2010 4:29 pm
- Tell us about yourself: I live with my first Dutchie/Black Mal which was chosen after much debate which breed would be my first working dog. I love this dog! I love protection sports!
I used to be a zoo keeper and bird trainer. Dogs are so much more willing! I like training to compete and training for training's sake. I am a huge fan of working dogs- especially the people who train them with motivation and less pressure. - Location: Bay Area, CA
Re: Hello from CA
Thanks! He eats better than I do. I have no idea dad is 85+ lbs he at 10 1/2 m is just shy of 60lbs hope his head gets bigger! He has such a little pin head lol.
Kat
Diablo Black Mal
Weasley Beagle
Phelonie Goffin's Cockatoo
Diablo Black Mal
Weasley Beagle
Phelonie Goffin's Cockatoo
-
Brindle
- Green Dog
- Posts: 148
- Joined: Thu Jul 08, 2010 3:03 am
- Tell us about yourself: Loving life in Oregon with some AMAZING Dutch Shepherds !
UWP Vrijheid's Force IPO3 (x5), FH2, AD, TDX, OSP, L2C, CGC, CD, APR1, TDU, NW3-C, NW3-E, NW3-V, NW3-I, NW3 Elite, ELT1, NA, NF, L3I, TG-N, TN-N, NAJ, VCD1, CSL1- F, CSL1-H, ELT2, L1E, CA, L2E, ELT3, ELT-CH, L3V, K9 Blood Donor
Vrijheid's Qahlua (Vodka) IPO3, L2I, L3C, NW3V, NW3C, NW3E. NW3I, L3E, NJP, NAP, OFP, NW3 Elite, L2V, TD
Van Kracht's Absolut Fury ( youngster in training ) - Location: Oregon
Re: Hello from CA
Welcome Kat.
Nice photos of your boy ( and his buddies ).
Diablo is a great name
Nice photos of your boy ( and his buddies ).
Diablo is a great name
UWP Vrijheid's Force IPO3,FH2,AD,TDX,OSP,L2C,CGC,CD,APR1,TDU,NA,NF,L3I,TG-N,TN-N,NAJ,VCD1,CSL1-F,CSL1-H,L1E,CA,L2E, ELT-CH,L3V
Vrijheid's Qahlua IPO3,L2I,L3CI,L3E,NJP,NAP,OFP,NW3 Elite,L2V,TD
Van Kracht's Absolut Fury ( in training )
Vrijheid's Qahlua IPO3,L2I,L3CI,L3E,NJP,NAP,OFP,NW3 Elite,L2V,TD
Van Kracht's Absolut Fury ( in training )
-
Black Mal
- Just Whelped
- Posts: 17
- Joined: Tue Oct 26, 2010 4:29 pm
- Tell us about yourself: I live with my first Dutchie/Black Mal which was chosen after much debate which breed would be my first working dog. I love this dog! I love protection sports!
I used to be a zoo keeper and bird trainer. Dogs are so much more willing! I like training to compete and training for training's sake. I am a huge fan of working dogs- especially the people who train them with motivation and less pressure. - Location: Bay Area, CA
Re: Hello from CA
Thanks!
I felt the boat was appropriate. Originally I was going to name him JATO for Jet Assisted Take Off, but for the first two months I had him he just wanted to eat me if I didn't have a toy or chew item. We speak a lot of Spanish in our house and constantly referred to him as " ouch pinche diablo or diablito" he began to answer to Diablo, we dropped the 'pinche' and so it is. Though, now I tell people it is because he is my handsome devil. :p
I felt the boat was appropriate. Originally I was going to name him JATO for Jet Assisted Take Off, but for the first two months I had him he just wanted to eat me if I didn't have a toy or chew item. We speak a lot of Spanish in our house and constantly referred to him as " ouch pinche diablo or diablito" he began to answer to Diablo, we dropped the 'pinche' and so it is. Though, now I tell people it is because he is my handsome devil. :p
Kat
Diablo Black Mal
Weasley Beagle
Phelonie Goffin's Cockatoo
Diablo Black Mal
Weasley Beagle
Phelonie Goffin's Cockatoo


Facebook page.