Page 1 of 1

Hello from CA

Posted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 12:27 am
by Black Mal
Hello!

My name is Kat, I am zoo keeper turned dog trainer. I was searching for the same rush with dogs that I used to get working with the zoo animals, then I came across Schutzhund. I was totally in awe of bringing those dogs to that level of arousal and then asking them to cap it and listen. I was hooked- I did a lot of research and found my monster he is out of Battle Ridge K9s in WV RIP is the father and Jetta the mother.

I have a 10 m black dutchie, I guess he is known as a black malinois in the States? We also live with a 5 yr old beagle, get them rabbits.

I am starting for the first time in protection sports and we have our foundation starting in both Modio and Schutzhund.

I am very glad I found this forum, I'm trying to learn as much as I can.

Thanks!

Kat

Re: Hello from CA

Posted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 12:54 am
by leih merigian
Welcome, Kat!

Pictures are always welcome, too :D .

Will look forward to hearing about your training adventures...

Re: Hello from CA

Posted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 1:18 am
by Black Mal
How do I post pics? I tried- he's so handsome!

Re: Hello from CA

Posted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 4:14 am
by vneerland
Black Mal wrote:I have a 10 m black dutchie, I guess he is known as a black malinois in the States?
Welcome Kat,
Looking forward to your pictures. Black malinois are mostly descendants from Andor van den IJsselvloed, a Groenendaeler (Belgian sheepdog) from the 70's who did well in KNPV. He was bred to the malinois population, since the KNPV criterium was workability, not breed betterment, and thus the dominant black of the Groenendael was introduced into the dominant short haired population of Malinois. 99.9% of the Dutch black malinois owe their coloring to Andor, even after 40 years. With (dominant) black being dominant over brindle, a solid black Dutch Shepherd does not really happen. One parent will have to be solid black for that coloring to occur.

Re: Hello from CA

Posted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 6:29 am
by Black Mal
So his mother is solid black Jetta obviously not registered. His father is Vandalia RIP son of Land of Oz Jett X Land of Oz Izzy. That is very interesting information thank you. So I guess you don't poo poo the black mals out of here, jk- mentally is there a difference or is it only manifested in a coat color?

Kat

Diablo 10 m DS
Weasley 5 y Beagle

Re: Hello from CA

Posted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 4:53 pm
by turnnburn52984
Handsome dogs! Welcome! We're just starting in protection sports too. :)

Re: Hello from CA

Posted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 8:19 pm
by Black Mal
@tuurnnburn-

Which sports? I look forward to hearing the progress! In our AM session today he did a 10min down-stay with me about 40ft away, I verbally corrected him twice before he got up but I could see that back leg twitching! So proud of him, he just stayed focused on me for the whole 10!

Re: Hello from CA

Posted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 4:03 am
by vneerland
Black Mal wrote:So his mother is solid black Jetta obviously not registered. His father is Vandalia RIP son of Land of Oz Jett X Land of Oz Izzy. That is very interesting information thank you. So I guess you don't poo poo the black mals out of here, jk- mentally is there a difference or is it only manifested in a coat color?
Black mals are welcome here. As are fawn mals, GSD's and any other breed imagineable. :mrgreen:
Difference? It often is an individual thing. I don't think you can generalize: "All DS's are blabla" "All Malinois are blabla" I tend to think there is no such a thing as all dogs in a breed doing one thing or another. A lot of a dogs characteristics will depend on the bloodline. Some on the way he is raised and some other things may indeed be related to breed. I have seen many Dutch shepherds, and most are intelligent, often more so than other breeds (by applying their brains to what they are being asked to do) but as far as drive, or behavior? One size fits few, or so it seems.
:twocents:

Diabolo looks like he is going to be tall and leggy. And shiney :lol:

Re: Hello from CA

Posted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 4:50 am
by Black Mal
Thanks! He eats better than I do. I have no idea dad is 85+ lbs he at 10 1/2 m is just shy of 60lbs hope his head gets bigger! He has such a little pin head lol.

Re: Hello from CA

Posted: Sun Nov 07, 2010 5:39 am
by Brindle
Welcome Kat.
Nice photos of your boy ( and his buddies ).
Diablo is a great name :D

Re: Hello from CA

Posted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 2:50 am
by Black Mal
Thanks!

I felt the boat was appropriate. Originally I was going to name him JATO for Jet Assisted Take Off, but for the first two months I had him he just wanted to eat me if I didn't have a toy or chew item. We speak a lot of Spanish in our house and constantly referred to him as " ouch pinche diablo or diablito" he began to answer to Diablo, we dropped the 'pinche' and so it is. Though, now I tell people it is because he is my handsome devil. :p