Rescued dog - Zelda

For our new members to introduce themselves
Post Reply
zelda89
Just Whelped
Posts: 1
Joined: Wed Dec 19, 2012 6:52 pm
Tell us about yourself: I am from Lakewood Colorado, I adopted Zelda from a shelter 3 months ago, she appears to be a pure Dutch, however is 5 and has issues socializing with other dogs. I love her to death!

Rescued dog - Zelda

Post by zelda89 »

Hi! I rescued Zelda, my Dutch, from a shelter in September... and picked up a husky who she was friends with as well. Thor and Zelda are the best of friends, it took her some time, and it seems she never was socialized. She has aggression towards other dogs, but when no other dogs besides Thor are around, she is the best dog in the world. She is bright, intelligent, trained, and I would love some ideas on how to work with her aggression. I bring her to the dog park, musseled, to get her used to being around other dogs. Any suggestions?
User avatar
LyonsFamily
Training Dog
Posts: 947
Joined: Mon Feb 27, 2012 3:08 am
Tell us about yourself: Odin 5 years
Elli 5 years
Location: Michigan
Contact:

Re: first time dutch owner

Post by LyonsFamily »

zelda89 wrote:Hi! I rescued Zelda, my Dutch, from a shelter in September... and picked up a husky who she was friends with as well. Thor and Zelda are the best of friends, it took her some time, and it seems she never was socialized. She has aggression towards other dogs, but when no other dogs besides Thor are around, she is the best dog in the world. She is bright, intelligent, trained, and I would love some ideas on how to work with her aggression. I bring her to the dog park, musseled, to get her used to being around other dogs. Any suggestions?
Can you start a new thread with this topic. It'll make it much easier for us to respond and keep your responses separate from those intended for Mykal.
Stephanie
'Odin' NV PTA Odin of Another Kingdom RL1
'Elli' Drawing Our Own Constellations RL1 CGC CGCA
User avatar
Christie M
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Posts: 1279
Joined: Wed Jun 30, 2010 10:03 pm
Tell us about yourself: Love my striped beasts.

Re: Rescued dog - Zelda

Post by Christie M »

Stephanie,

Thank you for the suggestion.

Zelda's owner - thank you for saving a life :) I started your own thread to introduce you to the forum. Please post with any other information if you would like. Also, please take a moment and visit the User Control Panel and create a signature for yourself that includes your name.

We are so happy to have you hear. (Oh, and the other members are crazy for pictures ;) )
Christie Meyer
http://www.northwoodsk9.com
http://www.dutchshepherdrescue.org
http://www.thunderhawkcanine.com

Be proud of the things that you have taught your dog. Be humbled and grateful for all of the things that your dog has taught you. - Unknown
User avatar
Dutchringgirl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Posts: 5692
Joined: Sat Feb 12, 2011 3:05 pm
Tell us about yourself: I am a mom of 6 life forces - 2 kids and 3 dogs 1 hamster. I live in Ct. I have trained Ringsport and Agility and have 2 DS, one 15 and 7 and a Basset Hound Cookie who is 2
Location: Ct, USA

Re: Rescued dog - Zelda

Post by Dutchringgirl »

that is so great you took both of them! Dont get me started on dog parks, I hate them.
Lisa, Thalie CGC & Sadie, Cookie the Basset, CT
ImageImage
User avatar
LyonsFamily
Training Dog
Posts: 947
Joined: Mon Feb 27, 2012 3:08 am
Tell us about yourself: Odin 5 years
Elli 5 years
Location: Michigan
Contact:

Re: Rescued dog - Zelda

Post by LyonsFamily »

Welcome to the forum!

I would work more with trusted dog friendly dogs than randoms at the dog park. Like Lisa said, there are many reasons not to like dog parks. To be fair to other dog owners that still take the risks of using a dog park, I wouldn't take a muzzled dog their in case it fires up any of the non-muzzled dogs.

Have you worked with a trainer at all to locate the reasons for aggression? It could be simply leash frustration. If you notice it a lot around small dogs, it could be your Dutch's high prey drive.

What's your goal with your dog being dog friendly? Do you want to take her dog parks, or do you just want to eliminate reactivity when you walk by another dog. You may never get a completely strange-dog-social pet out of certain Dutch Shepherds, or any breed for that matter, but you can train a dog to be neutral to other dogs.

I personally have a dog reactive dog out of a rescue. He was an owner surrender for that exact reason. While he's not 100% fool proof yet, he's been able to attend training classes, dog shows and walk through Petsmart without incident by being purely trained to focus on me, the handler, instead of the other dogs. He'll likely never be able to run around with any ole dog off the street, and there are still occasional resource guarding issues with a few dogs at my parents house, but teaching a dog to ignore other dogs is much more realistic than changing them into a social butterfly.
Stephanie
'Odin' NV PTA Odin of Another Kingdom RL1
'Elli' Drawing Our Own Constellations RL1 CGC CGCA
User avatar
alspyce
Working Dog
Posts: 1222
Joined: Wed Mar 23, 2011 5:51 pm
Tell us about yourself: I am in New York State. Got my first DS about 14 years ago (more or less as a rescue- lost her in Nov.). After years of GSD's, and a few dogs of other breeds (Rotti/Beauceron/Ger. Shorthaired Pointer/ Yorkie and my current Jack Russell) I now have another DS, 4mo female, no name yet, tho I have a few in mind.
Also have a horse-old quarter horse mare-32.
Can't wait for all the snow to get gone! Spring is coming too slow this year!
Location: Corinth, New York

Re: Rescued dog - Zelda

Post by alspyce »

Welcome, and I agree that dog parks are not a good idea.
Lots of info here about shaping behavior. My feeling is that a muzzle only adds anxiety and doesn't help in forming better behavior. Read through some of the old posts and you'll find what suggestions have helped some of the other forum members.
"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened." Anatole France
Chris Carlton/Lyric
Post Reply