Page 1 of 1

New Member

Posted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 8:45 am
by mavdog
Hello All,

This is our first time ever using a forum like this. We are new dog owners living in beautiful San Diego. We rescued our little bundle of joy from California Labs, Retrievers, and More. Maverick is 5 months old. The rescue told us he is an Aussie mix but he doesn't look anything like one. We thought possible GSD but we ran into a DS picture that looks exactly like him. I don't think he is 100% DS but he sure looks like one. We would love for some help identifying his possibility of being a DS. If he is a DS would would like some advice on how to correctly train/care for him. He is 34.6 lbs at 5 months old.

Seeing him in person is the best way to see is unique brindle coat. His coat is not photogenic. We thought GSD but once we saw a picture of a DS it is very similar to Maverick.
Maverick.jpg
Maverick.jpg (5.35 KiB) Viewed 2127 times
Maverick2.jpg
Maverick2.jpg (4.88 KiB) Viewed 2127 times
Maverick3.jpg
Maverick3.jpg (4.9 KiB) Viewed 2127 times

Re: New Member

Posted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 10:27 am
by LyonsFamily
Welcome to the forum! The pictures are too small to see perfectly, but he does look like a DS from here. If you could get some close ups, especially of the head and one from his side we could probably help more with that.

Regardless of the breed I hope you stick around! There are a lot of trainers and experienced dog owners on this forum and we can help training issues and ideas.

Re: New Member

Posted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 5:26 pm
by mavdog
I would love to add more pictures. What is the best way to upload? I am tech challenged.

Re: New Member

Posted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 5:43 pm
by Sugars Mom
Welcome to the fourm. My story is pretty much the same as yours....and I feel very lucky to have unknownly found a Dutch. You will be amazed at how smart he is, I'm sure. Looking forward to hearing many stories and seeing many more pics :DSlove:

Re: New Member

Posted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 5:57 pm
by mavdog
Thank you. Haha we were so confused as what he could have been. The brindle didn't look like a boxer, pitbull, mastiff, or greyhound. We have been searching google for "brindle dogs" and every other variation possible. I finally ran into a DS picture and my heart stopped. Maverick is extremely intelligent and is easily trained. He is trying to herd dogs at the dog park and loves to track small animals or other dogs that previously came by our apartment. Best dog. Where did you find Sugar? How old is she?

Re: New Member

Posted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 6:35 pm
by Sugars Mom
I know exactly what you mean!

We got Sugar from the SPCA when a mixed litter of pups came in. 9 weeks old. There was a brindle (Sugar) and a border collie coloured pup with short hair, then another border collie looking one with long hair; 2 that looked like german shepherds (they were fluffy) and 3 that looked like labradoodle/terriers that had long curly hair w/some wire hair mixed in (later I saw a pic of Mom and they looked like her).

We were looking for a short haired dog and I did not want a border collie as I knew they were a lot of work. (Ha! Look what we ended up with, lol) So we picked the brindle. I knew she was a mix, but could not figure out WHAT she was mixed with! Nothing quite matched. A friend found a pic of a DS online and said, 'Look, its Sugar!" and it all clicked. So, we ended up with a "miniature" DS mix. Best dog ever, I agree!! She is soooo smart! I feel very lucky to have found her.

Re: New Member

Posted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 7:21 pm
by mavdog

Re: New Member

Posted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 8:05 pm
by feraloup
He is wicked cute! I'll leave assessments to the more experienced DS folks here, but I'd say it's likely! Regardless, welcome to the forum and hope you stick around. :)

Re: New Member

Posted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 4:43 pm
by vneerland
Welcome Megan from San Diego. Thank you for rescueing. 8-)

Re: New Member

Posted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 1:56 pm
by alspyce
welcome!

Re: New Member

Posted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 1:33 pm
by Marjolein
Welcome :)