Help me identify my wonderful dog!
-
Sasja2013
- Just Whelped
- Posts: 5
- Joined: Tue Jul 23, 2013 7:39 pm
- Tell us about yourself: I am an active college student and I live with my parents for the time being. Sasja, possible Dutch Shepherd mix, is an extremely active dog. We were looking for an active dog so she is perfect! I've never had a dog that picks up commands as fast as she does but she's still a stubborn puppy. I am here to get everyone’s opinion on what Sasja might be, other than the perfect companion! Everyone I ask has never heard of a DS so whatever you can tell me would be great!
- Location: Wisconsin
Help me identify my wonderful dog!
This is purely out of curiosity but I would like some input on whether my dog is a DS mix or not. Her name is Sasja; I got her from the Wisconsin Humane Society about two months ago. She was listed as a five month old Shepherd mix. They told me she came from a shelter in Mississippi listed as a Great Dane mix
She has energy far beyond normal puppy energy and picks up commands overnight. She has a very high prey drive and is extremely ball motivated.
- Attachments
-
- Sasja14.jpg (391.68 KiB) Viewed 1245 times
-
- Sasja12.jpg (347.54 KiB) Viewed 1245 times
-
- Sasja11.jpg (386.33 KiB) Viewed 1245 times
-
- Sasja10.jpg (158.24 KiB) Viewed 1245 times
Billy & Sasja
Wisconsin
Wisconsin
- Christie M
- Global Moderator

- Posts: 1279
- Joined: Wed Jun 30, 2010 10:03 pm
- Tell us about yourself: Love my striped beasts.
Re: Help me identify my wonderful dog!
Looks DS or DSx to me. Congrats on the new kid and thank you for rescuing!!!
Christie Meyer
http://www.northwoodsk9.com
http://www.dutchshepherdrescue.org
http://www.thunderhawkcanine.com
Be proud of the things that you have taught your dog. Be humbled and grateful for all of the things that your dog has taught you. - Unknown
http://www.northwoodsk9.com
http://www.dutchshepherdrescue.org
http://www.thunderhawkcanine.com
Be proud of the things that you have taught your dog. Be humbled and grateful for all of the things that your dog has taught you. - Unknown
-
Sugars Mom
- Working Dog
- Posts: 1734
- Joined: Thu Mar 03, 2011 12:16 am
- Tell us about yourself: I adopted a Dutch Shepherd mix (without knowing what she was) from the SPCA here in Victoria BC and am now trying to learn everything I can about this breed. My husband and I work from home most of the time so I thought it was time to get a puppy! We have his 2 boys here half the time and we wanted a nice family dog.
Sugar looks like a miniature Dutch Shepherd with floppy ears, and has every ounce of DS traits in her little body!
I hope to learn from other DS owners and share doggy experiences. - Location: Victoria BC
Re: Help me identify my wonderful dog!
Gorgeous pup. Love the chin on the ground pic! Looks and sounds like a DS to me too : )
Sue (and Sugar)

- LyonsFamily
- Training Dog
- Posts: 947
- Joined: Mon Feb 27, 2012 3:08 am
- Tell us about yourself: Odin 5 years
Elli 5 years - Location: Michigan
- Contact:
Re: Help me identify my wonderful dog!
Looks like a DS. I'm curious about size. You said the dog was 5 months old. Do you know the approximate weight of her?
Stephanie
'Odin' NV PTA Odin of Another Kingdom RL1
'Elli' Drawing Our Own Constellations RL1 CGC CGCA
'Odin' NV PTA Odin of Another Kingdom RL1
'Elli' Drawing Our Own Constellations RL1 CGC CGCA
-
Sasja2013
- Just Whelped
- Posts: 5
- Joined: Tue Jul 23, 2013 7:39 pm
- Tell us about yourself: I am an active college student and I live with my parents for the time being. Sasja, possible Dutch Shepherd mix, is an extremely active dog. We were looking for an active dog so she is perfect! I've never had a dog that picks up commands as fast as she does but she's still a stubborn puppy. I am here to get everyone’s opinion on what Sasja might be, other than the perfect companion! Everyone I ask has never heard of a DS so whatever you can tell me would be great!
- Location: Wisconsin
Re: Help me identify my wonderful dog!
LyonsFamily wrote:Looks like a DS. I'm curious about size. You said the dog was 5 months old. Do you know the approximate weight of her?
When I first brought her home she was about 30 pounds (roughly 5 months old). She was being treated for coccidia and giardia so she was under weight. As of last week Tuesday Sasja weighed in at 47.4 #s (7 months old). Now that she is healthy I'm curious if that weight is normal for a DS around her age. The vet that I go to and my trainer have never heard of the breed so no one has been able to tell me what range her full grown weight will be. Does her weight put her in the normal weight range of a female DS?
Billy & Sasja
Wisconsin
Wisconsin
-
johninny
- Working Dog
- Posts: 1326
- Joined: Wed Oct 17, 2012 6:22 am
- Tell us about yourself: DS and Mal foster newly approved aug'12 by NADSR and ABMCR. high-functioning Autistic in nyc/hamptons in my 60's. Rescued the smartest dog i had ever seen off nyc street in 2000. Tracedog's intelligence exceeded by multiples my judgement that day. My first [and only as of 10/2012] dog turned out to be a DS, perhaps with a touch of something else, but attention to detail, behavioral traits, and physical habits, movement, and skill identical to DS. But MUCH more intellectual ability. supremely confident in all settings, fearless, very outgoing and social with people and friendly with dogs. Seldom apart in over 12 years, Trace Dog was the most important relationship of my adult life; he was my partner. He died july17,2012. i am dying without him. www.youtube.com/tracesobaka www.dogster.com/dogs/637612
- Location: NH/hamptons/nyc
Re: Help me identify my wonderful dog!
hi, congratulations. i would also guess you have a DS [ i.e., not a mix to speak of]. i have only had males and i generally think of them of being around that weight at 6 months old, so i would say she is right on track to be a fairly normal-sized DS female - somewhere over 60 maybe. at that weight maybe she is headed closer to 70 lb. also, it sounds like you have done a great job bringing her to a more normal and happy health, weight, and life!!
John & DS rscus TRACE DOG,99-12; fstr7yoCain,8-9/12; Xander(3/12)11/12-2/13; SAKIMA (b.4/12)from11/12; TxXANDER (b.2/13)from5/13; direct from CherCar: TRACER (b.5/4/13). http://www.youtube.com/sakimadoggy http://www.youtube.com/tracesobaka


Facebook page.