New to the forum & New to the breed

For our new members to introduce themselves
Post Reply
Dances With Empties
Puppy
Posts: 38
Joined: Wed Aug 07, 2013 2:30 pm
Tell us about yourself: Experience with Labs, GSD's, & Catahoulas. Just recently purchased a Dutch Shepherd.
Location: Trenton, Ontario

New to the forum & New to the breed

Post by Dances With Empties »

Good Day all from Canada,
Just bought my 1st Dutch Shepherd last Friday & my wife named him George. She called me a few other names when I said that I wanted another dog after our Black Lab past away a few months ago.
I've owned Catahoulas & Labradors and a Lab/Shepherd cross in the past, but have some experience with German Shepherds, as family members have owned them. I've been around dogs & have had them in our homes the entire 43 years of my existence.

George is now 9 weeks old and comes from a working line from the U.S. He appears to have a high prey drive & the best way to tire him out is rope with a work glove tied to it that he chases relentlessly until I call it quits. He was past up by a police k9 trainer & another trainer in protection dogs in favor of other more aggressive (lack of a better word!) pups in the litter of 6 or 7 before I got there. He is a fairly laid back pup in the house right now and very receptive to verbal correction. The "come", "sit" & "no" command came within minutes of him being at the house. His command for a release, stay & laying down are coming along but need work. I'm sure in a few months he'll start to challenge my commands in favor of a bird, tumble weed or other more interesting distraction...
George is a loyal follower for sure & right now constantly under foot, following me from room to room. Outside, never more than 10 yards from my side. Having major fits when I'm out of sight or when its time to kennel up for the night. His confidence is slowly growing as he gets use to his new digs & growing use to being separated from his litter. He, like my previous Lab seems to seek out the darkest place in the house to rest that is within eyesight of the wife & me. He is slowly realizing that he doesn't have to be at my feet every second of the day. LOL! Like I said before his confidence is growing.
My main goal for George is to have stable member of our family, & good watch dog on our property out in the country.
Jason
User avatar
HeatherH
Green Dog
Posts: 182
Joined: Wed Oct 24, 2012 9:06 pm
Tell us about yourself: My name is Heather. My husband and I are empty nesters in or mid 40. We bought a 8 wk old ds from a breeder. We got the name buy a new neighbor. I bought thr dog because we both just putvthe last of or 3 dogs down. I had a dalmatian before I met my husband 4 yeats ago. The love of my life. Iove dogs that are smart and full of energy. I lve hiking but need yhe push. I am just learning alot about the new little guy, but I need more info.

Re: New to the forum & New to the breed

Post by HeatherH »

Welcome

Pictures are always great.

Heather
Heather from Hamilton Ont.
Dutch- DS.
Pearl - cat
User avatar
Vhyran
Puppy
Posts: 85
Joined: Tue Jul 30, 2013 10:53 am
Tell us about yourself: Hello there! I own a white german shepherd and a 1 year old Dutch shepherd called "Wega" He's my workind dog and I'm working in a Security Company for Events :)

Re: New to the forum & New to the breed

Post by Vhyran »

Welcome :) :wtg:
Sugars Mom
Working Dog
Posts: 1734
Joined: Thu Mar 03, 2011 12:16 am
Tell us about yourself: I adopted a Dutch Shepherd mix (without knowing what she was) from the SPCA here in Victoria BC and am now trying to learn everything I can about this breed. My husband and I work from home most of the time so I thought it was time to get a puppy! We have his 2 boys here half the time and we wanted a nice family dog.

Sugar looks like a miniature Dutch Shepherd with floppy ears, and has every ounce of DS traits in her little body!

I hope to learn from other DS owners and share doggy experiences.
Location: Victoria BC

Re: New to the forum & New to the breed

Post by Sugars Mom »

Welcome fellow Canadian!
Sue (and Sugar)

Image
Dances With Empties
Puppy
Posts: 38
Joined: Wed Aug 07, 2013 2:30 pm
Tell us about yourself: Experience with Labs, GSD's, & Catahoulas. Just recently purchased a Dutch Shepherd.
Location: Trenton, Ontario

Re: New to the forum & New to the breed

Post by Dances With Empties »

This is George P. Dog at 9 weeks.
Image
Jason
johninny
Working Dog
Posts: 1326
Joined: Wed Oct 17, 2012 6:22 am
Tell us about yourself: DS and Mal foster newly approved aug'12 by NADSR and ABMCR. high-functioning Autistic in nyc/hamptons in my 60's. Rescued the smartest dog i had ever seen off nyc street in 2000. Tracedog's intelligence exceeded by multiples my judgement that day. My first [and only as of 10/2012] dog turned out to be a DS, perhaps with a touch of something else, but attention to detail, behavioral traits, and physical habits, movement, and skill identical to DS. But MUCH more intellectual ability. supremely confident in all settings, fearless, very outgoing and social with people and friendly with dogs. Seldom apart in over 12 years, Trace Dog was the most important relationship of my adult life; he was my partner. He died july17,2012. i am dying without him. www.youtube.com/tracesobaka www.dogster.com/dogs/637612
Location: NH/hamptons/nyc

Re: New to the forum & New to the breed

Post by johninny »

George P. Dog looks adorable. I think it is great to give our companions the dignity of their family name.
John & DS rscus TRACE DOG,99-12; fstr7yoCain,8-9/12; Xander(3/12)11/12-2/13; SAKIMA (b.4/12)from11/12; TxXANDER (b.2/13)from5/13; direct from CherCar: TRACER (b.5/4/13). http://www.youtube.com/sakimadoggy http://www.youtube.com/tracesobaka
Dances With Empties
Puppy
Posts: 38
Joined: Wed Aug 07, 2013 2:30 pm
Tell us about yourself: Experience with Labs, GSD's, & Catahoulas. Just recently purchased a Dutch Shepherd.
Location: Trenton, Ontario

Re: New to the forum & New to the breed

Post by Dances With Empties »

The wife named him. I personally think giving a bigger, maybe intimidating looking to the public kind of dog a name like 'Killer' or 'Psyscho' flat out retarded. Here in Ontario they have a ridiculous Pit bull ban & it's not likely to be lifted imo. These dogs did not get banned because of the breed; that was the provincial government's knee jerk excuse! But because of some poor breeding & some even dumber owners this breed has been pretty much wiped out here. There is an attempt at repealing the ban but even if successful, I believe the insurance/ liability implications will keep their numbers very low.
I don't believe advertising your dog's breed as aggressive or somehow menacing to the area very bright.

I think I kept that statement cleaned up! I could sum it up in fewer words, but I'd get kicked out of here!

Anyhow the wife said she named him after the new prince & what the h#@l were living in loyalist territory anyhow. LOL!
Jason
johninny
Working Dog
Posts: 1326
Joined: Wed Oct 17, 2012 6:22 am
Tell us about yourself: DS and Mal foster newly approved aug'12 by NADSR and ABMCR. high-functioning Autistic in nyc/hamptons in my 60's. Rescued the smartest dog i had ever seen off nyc street in 2000. Tracedog's intelligence exceeded by multiples my judgement that day. My first [and only as of 10/2012] dog turned out to be a DS, perhaps with a touch of something else, but attention to detail, behavioral traits, and physical habits, movement, and skill identical to DS. But MUCH more intellectual ability. supremely confident in all settings, fearless, very outgoing and social with people and friendly with dogs. Seldom apart in over 12 years, Trace Dog was the most important relationship of my adult life; he was my partner. He died july17,2012. i am dying without him. www.youtube.com/tracesobaka www.dogster.com/dogs/637612
Location: NH/hamptons/nyc

Re: New to the forum & New to the breed

Post by johninny »

maybe I was not clear/ maybe I was understood. I love that he is named Dog - as his ''family'' name. TraceDog was officially named with his family name; I have simply verbally appended ''Dog'' to the names of dogs since.
I had not gotten the princely connection: even better!
John & DS rscus TRACE DOG,99-12; fstr7yoCain,8-9/12; Xander(3/12)11/12-2/13; SAKIMA (b.4/12)from11/12; TxXANDER (b.2/13)from5/13; direct from CherCar: TRACER (b.5/4/13). http://www.youtube.com/sakimadoggy http://www.youtube.com/tracesobaka
Dances With Empties
Puppy
Posts: 38
Joined: Wed Aug 07, 2013 2:30 pm
Tell us about yourself: Experience with Labs, GSD's, & Catahoulas. Just recently purchased a Dutch Shepherd.
Location: Trenton, Ontario

Re: New to the forum & New to the breed

Post by Dances With Empties »

I never really worried about linage names as I never plan to show or breed my dogs. When the wife told me what she wanted to name him I thought of this guy: LOL!

http://ar.wikipedia.org/wiki/%D9%85%D9% ... P._Dog.png
Jason
Post Reply