Hello from San Diego, CA
-
Donna216
- Just Whelped
- Posts: 5
- Joined: Thu Mar 24, 2011 5:54 am
- Tell us about yourself: I have a Dutch Shepherd Puppy and a 2 year old Malinois. I live in San Diego and I love to take my dogs to the beach and hike in our local mountains.
Hello from San Diego, CA
Hi All,
My name is Donna and I am from beautiful San Diego, Calif. I currently have a 12wk Dutch Shepherd male, Stryker, and a 2 year old Malinois, Piper. I am thinking about changing Stryker's name due to the confusion its causing when calling the dogs...but we'll see. (If you have any thoughts, let me know).
Stryker is only 12 weeks old and weighs 24lbs! He is going to be a big boy. He has a very high prey drive and his bite grip is amazing...so he is definitely a handful.
I joined this forum to meet other DS owners to get as much information as possible.
My name is Donna and I am from beautiful San Diego, Calif. I currently have a 12wk Dutch Shepherd male, Stryker, and a 2 year old Malinois, Piper. I am thinking about changing Stryker's name due to the confusion its causing when calling the dogs...but we'll see. (If you have any thoughts, let me know).
Stryker is only 12 weeks old and weighs 24lbs! He is going to be a big boy. He has a very high prey drive and his bite grip is amazing...so he is definitely a handful.
I joined this forum to meet other DS owners to get as much information as possible.
- Kristie E
- Training Dog
- Posts: 321
- Joined: Fri Feb 25, 2011 3:09 am
- Tell us about yourself: I have had a DS for almost a year. Gwen and I are considering participating in PSA and or possible Ring Sport. I also have a Great Dane. I have grown up around working GSDs and my last GSD was a working K9 officer. I am all about dogs and animals in general and want to learn as much as I can about training.
Re: Hello from San Diego, CA
Welcome!! wow 24 lbs .... are you sure he isn't a giant breed in disguise?
Kristie
Rommel's Guenhyvar (Gwenice the Menace) BH, PSA PDC sleeve
Rommel's Guenhyvar (Gwenice the Menace) BH, PSA PDC sleeve
- Dutchringgirl
- Global Moderator

- Posts: 5692
- Joined: Sat Feb 12, 2011 3:05 pm
- Tell us about yourself: I am a mom of 6 life forces - 2 kids and 3 dogs 1 hamster. I live in Ct. I have trained Ringsport and Agility and have 2 DS, one 15 and 7 and a Basset Hound Cookie who is 2
- Location: Ct, USA
Re: Hello from San Diego, CA
welcome!! wow, he sure is a big boy!!
Lisa, Thalie CGC & Sadie, Cookie the Basset, CT




-
leih merigian
- Working Dog
- Posts: 1960
- Joined: Wed Jun 30, 2010 3:20 pm
- Tell us about yourself: Had a GSD, am getting a DS puppy in a few weeks. Compete in agility, obedience, and cross train in tons of stuff. Found out about this site from the DS Rescue yahoo list.
Re: Hello from San Diego, CA
Welcome, Donna and pups!
I don't know on the name thing...the sounds are fairly similar (two syllables, er endings...), but if you work hard on making them sound different, and give it time, you may be fine.
my puppy is 9 mos old now, and I'm finding that there is some confusion for her with various cues, so I have to be very careful what I call things. part of it is how smart she is, and she moves before she hears the complete word, I think. I had to make the "bow" cue "bravo," for example, as what I was using ("big bow") sounded too much like "be a bear" (her sit up cue). I'm finding now, when we're working on being shy (paws over eyes, or at least, on muzzle), that she confuses "shy" with "side," and when you say them one after the other, I can see how that's happening. So, I'll figure out the "shy" cue...
So, it may be a lot easier for you to come up with another name (Stryker is very cool and it can be so hard to give up a name you really love!), or if you are patient enough and work hard enough, it may be fine.
What are your plans for your newest addition?
I don't know on the name thing...the sounds are fairly similar (two syllables, er endings...), but if you work hard on making them sound different, and give it time, you may be fine.
my puppy is 9 mos old now, and I'm finding that there is some confusion for her with various cues, so I have to be very careful what I call things. part of it is how smart she is, and she moves before she hears the complete word, I think. I had to make the "bow" cue "bravo," for example, as what I was using ("big bow") sounded too much like "be a bear" (her sit up cue). I'm finding now, when we're working on being shy (paws over eyes, or at least, on muzzle), that she confuses "shy" with "side," and when you say them one after the other, I can see how that's happening. So, I'll figure out the "shy" cue...
So, it may be a lot easier for you to come up with another name (Stryker is very cool and it can be so hard to give up a name you really love!), or if you are patient enough and work hard enough, it may be fine.
What are your plans for your newest addition?
leih merigian
Vrijheid's H'Geyser
Zodiac vom Younghaus (over the bridge)
Central VA (near Charlottesville)
It's never too late to have a happy childhood...
Vrijheid's H'Geyser
Zodiac vom Younghaus (over the bridge)
Central VA (near Charlottesville)
It's never too late to have a happy childhood...
- vneerland
- Global Moderator

- Posts: 1547
- Joined: Sat Jun 19, 2010 10:10 pm
- Tell us about yourself: *
- Location: Tex@s
Re: Hello from San Diego, CA
Welcome Donna, Stryker and Piper. Where did your pup come from? We'd love to see pictures!
Judith Van Neerland Dutch Shepherds 
-
Raven
- Global Moderator

- Posts: 1608
- Joined: Tue Dec 29, 2009 4:19 am
- Tell us about yourself: .
Re: Hello from San Diego, CA
Greetings, Donna...and crew.
Perhaps they'll have to listen more closely before they anticipate during name calling, depending upon how you play it out. Could work in your favor down the line (in regard to anticipating a command).
Indeed, certain sounds (as well as beginnings/endings of words) that are similar can be confusing--as can be non-verbal commands. I try to circumvent that confusion in advance before presenting a verbal and non-verbal, playing out the sounds and actions in comparison to others taught prior to engaging the dog.
For most verbal commands, I teach a non-verbal. Boy...some of each can appear so close, but usually the better a dog, especially an intelligent one, gets to know you...the more they start paying attention to those nuiances.
Congrats on your latest addition. Photos of both would be especially nice. (Can you tell that NO ONE on this forum likes photos????
)
Perhaps they'll have to listen more closely before they anticipate during name calling, depending upon how you play it out. Could work in your favor down the line (in regard to anticipating a command).
Indeed, certain sounds (as well as beginnings/endings of words) that are similar can be confusing--as can be non-verbal commands. I try to circumvent that confusion in advance before presenting a verbal and non-verbal, playing out the sounds and actions in comparison to others taught prior to engaging the dog.
For most verbal commands, I teach a non-verbal. Boy...some of each can appear so close, but usually the better a dog, especially an intelligent one, gets to know you...the more they start paying attention to those nuiances.
Congrats on your latest addition. Photos of both would be especially nice. (Can you tell that NO ONE on this forum likes photos????
Though I can only hope to become the person who my animals believe I am, the things that they have taught me have made me a better human being. ~~~Sharon~~~
- icvanstra
- Working Dog
- Posts: 1153
- Joined: Fri Aug 22, 2008 1:33 am
- Tell us about yourself: .
- Location: Broad Ripple - the coolest part of Indianapolis - sometimes Amersfoort
Re: Hello from San Diego, CA
Welcome to the forum.
If you are going to change the name just start in with the new one... Stryker will learn it. Much easier to do now than later.
Cino responds to a couple of names. ...the others are just pet-names (pun intended) that have come up over time.
If you are going to change the name just start in with the new one... Stryker will learn it. Much easier to do now than later.
Cino responds to a couple of names. ...the others are just pet-names (pun intended) that have come up over time.
Eric
- - Cino vom Foxtal
- Abigail NORML de Weijer (over the bridge)
- Hannah the DS wanna be (over the bridge)
- Marjolein
- Working Dog
- Posts: 2078
- Joined: Sun Jul 11, 2010 7:17 pm
- Tell us about yourself: I'm a Dutchie myself ;-) but live in Germany with Johan and my two DS's Cobber-Dingo and Knivil (Dingo and Ivil to friends...)
- Location: Warbeyen, Germany
- Contact:
-
Donna216
- Just Whelped
- Posts: 5
- Joined: Thu Mar 24, 2011 5:54 am
- Tell us about yourself: I have a Dutch Shepherd Puppy and a 2 year old Malinois. I live in San Diego and I love to take my dogs to the beach and hike in our local mountains.
Re: Hello from San Diego, CA
Thank you all for the welcome!
I haven't had any issues with the name similarities, so we just decided to keep his name as Stryker. He is currently 14 weeks and a little over 30lbs. Is this a normal weight for this age? I think he is going to be a pretty big Dutchie. His mom was tall, but skinny, but of course she just had puppies, so she was really skinny. The dad was a good size too, but I wouldn't say anything above average in size. So we'll see.
I haven't had any issues with the name similarities, so we just decided to keep his name as Stryker. He is currently 14 weeks and a little over 30lbs. Is this a normal weight for this age? I think he is going to be a pretty big Dutchie. His mom was tall, but skinny, but of course she just had puppies, so she was really skinny. The dad was a good size too, but I wouldn't say anything above average in size. So we'll see.
- Attachments
-
- Stryker @ 11 weeks - Happy Spring!
- Spring 2011.jpg (224.02 KiB) Viewed 5188 times
- Kristie E
- Training Dog
- Posts: 321
- Joined: Fri Feb 25, 2011 3:09 am
- Tell us about yourself: I have had a DS for almost a year. Gwen and I are considering participating in PSA and or possible Ring Sport. I also have a Great Dane. I have grown up around working GSDs and my last GSD was a working K9 officer. I am all about dogs and animals in general and want to learn as much as I can about training.
Re: Hello from San Diego, CA
Gwen was 30lbs when I got her at six and a half months old..... She is a year and a half and 60lbs.. I don't know what is normal but I think it is crazy he is 14wks and 30lbs... I don't think my Great Dane put on weight that fast 
Kristie
Rommel's Guenhyvar (Gwenice the Menace) BH, PSA PDC sleeve
Rommel's Guenhyvar (Gwenice the Menace) BH, PSA PDC sleeve
- icvanstra
- Working Dog
- Posts: 1153
- Joined: Fri Aug 22, 2008 1:33 am
- Tell us about yourself: .
- Location: Broad Ripple - the coolest part of Indianapolis - sometimes Amersfoort
Re: Hello from San Diego, CA
Great photo of Stryker!
Eric
- - Cino vom Foxtal
- Abigail NORML de Weijer (over the bridge)
- Hannah the DS wanna be (over the bridge)
- Kristie E
- Training Dog
- Posts: 321
- Joined: Fri Feb 25, 2011 3:09 am
- Tell us about yourself: I have had a DS for almost a year. Gwen and I are considering participating in PSA and or possible Ring Sport. I also have a Great Dane. I have grown up around working GSDs and my last GSD was a working K9 officer. I am all about dogs and animals in general and want to learn as much as I can about training.
Re: Hello from San Diego, CA
I Love those ears!!
Kristie
Rommel's Guenhyvar (Gwenice the Menace) BH, PSA PDC sleeve
Rommel's Guenhyvar (Gwenice the Menace) BH, PSA PDC sleeve
-
leih merigian
- Working Dog
- Posts: 1960
- Joined: Wed Jun 30, 2010 3:20 pm
- Tell us about yourself: Had a GSD, am getting a DS puppy in a few weeks. Compete in agility, obedience, and cross train in tons of stuff. Found out about this site from the DS Rescue yahoo list.
Re: Hello from San Diego, CA
Handsome boy and great shot!
leih merigian
Vrijheid's H'Geyser
Zodiac vom Younghaus (over the bridge)
Central VA (near Charlottesville)
It's never too late to have a happy childhood...
Vrijheid's H'Geyser
Zodiac vom Younghaus (over the bridge)
Central VA (near Charlottesville)
It's never too late to have a happy childhood...
-
Sugars Mom
- Working Dog
- Posts: 1734
- Joined: Thu Mar 03, 2011 12:16 am
- Tell us about yourself: I adopted a Dutch Shepherd mix (without knowing what she was) from the SPCA here in Victoria BC and am now trying to learn everything I can about this breed. My husband and I work from home most of the time so I thought it was time to get a puppy! We have his 2 boys here half the time and we wanted a nice family dog.
Sugar looks like a miniature Dutch Shepherd with floppy ears, and has every ounce of DS traits in her little body!
I hope to learn from other DS owners and share doggy experiences. - Location: Victoria BC
Re: Hello from San Diego, CA
OMG that pic is so cute! I love the ears! I can't believe he is 30 lbs at 3 1/2 months old!! Looks like he will be huge! My little Dutchie mix is 30 lbs at 9 months...but she is the perfect size for us
You plan on letting him sleep in your bed? Ha ha
You plan on letting him sleep in your bed? Ha ha
Sue (and Sugar)

-
Buddy
- Just Whelped
- Posts: 1
- Joined: Wed Nov 16, 2011 1:31 am
- Tell us about yourself: I'm a San Deigo Lifer. Buddy also. He's now about a year old, a pound pup. I'm the luckyist dad around. At less than a year he hits 85 lbs. and stands 4 feet. Endless energy... Endless Love.
Re: Hello from San Diego, CA
Hello Donna... I too live in S.D. I'm interested in information you may have. My "Buddy" is very close in age to Stryker. Buddy was a rescue from the Bonita Shelter. They estimated his age at under a year. Many stars have aligned for me to find you for it to be a coincident. Could we be more than neighbors?
-
Lauren
- Training Dog
- Posts: 540
- Joined: Thu Jul 21, 2011 11:29 pm
- Tell us about yourself: I am a wife, mother of 2 kids, 3 cats, 1 Standard Poodle (10 yrs) and Xena, a Dutch Shepherd Puppy.
Re: Hello from San Diego, CA
What a great shot! and oh, those ears!!!! I bet he will be a big boy.
My girl, Xena, who I keep insisting will NOT get bigger than 50 lbs, was 24.5 lbs at 16 weeks. Her parents were way too big for standard, but I hope she will be more of a DS weight and build.
Let us know how he grows!!!
My girl, Xena, who I keep insisting will NOT get bigger than 50 lbs, was 24.5 lbs at 16 weeks. Her parents were way too big for standard, but I hope she will be more of a DS weight and build.
Let us know how he grows!!!

Lauren from Western NC
- kchristy
- Training Dog
- Posts: 539
- Joined: Fri Oct 21, 2011 3:07 pm
- Tell us about yourself: My name is Katrina, I have 1 dutch shepherd name Merlin. He is a handful and keeps things in our house very interesting and fun :)
- Location: McCurtain, Ok
Re: Hello from San Diego, CA
Welcome and such a great picture! He is so pretty and such big ears 
Katrina, Soba, & Merlin


Facebook page.
