Page 1 of 1

Hello from San Diego, CA

Posted: Thu Mar 24, 2011 6:08 am
by Donna216
Hi All,

My name is Donna and I am from beautiful San Diego, Calif. I currently have a 12wk Dutch Shepherd male, Stryker, and a 2 year old Malinois, Piper. I am thinking about changing Stryker's name due to the confusion its causing when calling the dogs...but we'll see. (If you have any thoughts, let me know).

Stryker is only 12 weeks old and weighs 24lbs! He is going to be a big boy. He has a very high prey drive and his bite grip is amazing...so he is definitely a handful.

I joined this forum to meet other DS owners to get as much information as possible.

Re: Hello from San Diego, CA

Posted: Thu Mar 24, 2011 2:05 pm
by Kristie E
Welcome!! wow 24 lbs .... are you sure he isn't a giant breed in disguise?

Re: Hello from San Diego, CA

Posted: Thu Mar 24, 2011 3:25 pm
by Dutchringgirl
welcome!! wow, he sure is a big boy!!

Re: Hello from San Diego, CA

Posted: Fri Mar 25, 2011 1:24 am
by leih merigian
Welcome, Donna and pups!

I don't know on the name thing...the sounds are fairly similar (two syllables, er endings...), but if you work hard on making them sound different, and give it time, you may be fine.

my puppy is 9 mos old now, and I'm finding that there is some confusion for her with various cues, so I have to be very careful what I call things. part of it is how smart she is, and she moves before she hears the complete word, I think. I had to make the "bow" cue "bravo," for example, as what I was using ("big bow") sounded too much like "be a bear" (her sit up cue). I'm finding now, when we're working on being shy (paws over eyes, or at least, on muzzle), that she confuses "shy" with "side," and when you say them one after the other, I can see how that's happening. So, I'll figure out the "shy" cue...

So, it may be a lot easier for you to come up with another name (Stryker is very cool and it can be so hard to give up a name you really love!), or if you are patient enough and work hard enough, it may be fine.

What are your plans for your newest addition?

Re: Hello from San Diego, CA

Posted: Fri Mar 25, 2011 5:29 am
by vneerland
Welcome Donna, Stryker and Piper. Where did your pup come from? We'd love to see pictures!

Re: Hello from San Diego, CA

Posted: Sat Mar 26, 2011 5:13 am
by Raven
Greetings, Donna...and crew.

Perhaps they'll have to listen more closely before they anticipate during name calling, depending upon how you play it out. Could work in your favor down the line (in regard to anticipating a command).

Indeed, certain sounds (as well as beginnings/endings of words) that are similar can be confusing--as can be non-verbal commands. I try to circumvent that confusion in advance before presenting a verbal and non-verbal, playing out the sounds and actions in comparison to others taught prior to engaging the dog.

For most verbal commands, I teach a non-verbal. Boy...some of each can appear so close, but usually the better a dog, especially an intelligent one, gets to know you...the more they start paying attention to those nuiances.

Congrats on your latest addition. Photos of both would be especially nice. (Can you tell that NO ONE on this forum likes photos???? :eew: )

Re: Hello from San Diego, CA

Posted: Sun Mar 27, 2011 3:15 pm
by icvanstra
Welcome to the forum.

If you are going to change the name just start in with the new one... Stryker will learn it. Much easier to do now than later.

Cino responds to a couple of names. ...the others are just pet-names (pun intended) that have come up over time.

Re: Hello from San Diego, CA

Posted: Sun Mar 27, 2011 5:08 pm
by Marjolein
welcome :dslook:

Re: Hello from San Diego, CA

Posted: Sat Apr 09, 2011 10:39 am
by Donna216
Thank you all for the welcome!

I haven't had any issues with the name similarities, so we just decided to keep his name as Stryker. He is currently 14 weeks and a little over 30lbs. Is this a normal weight for this age? I think he is going to be a pretty big Dutchie. His mom was tall, but skinny, but of course she just had puppies, so she was really skinny. The dad was a good size too, but I wouldn't say anything above average in size. So we'll see.

Re: Hello from San Diego, CA

Posted: Sat Apr 09, 2011 1:54 pm
by Kristie E
Gwen was 30lbs when I got her at six and a half months old..... She is a year and a half and 60lbs.. I don't know what is normal but I think it is crazy he is 14wks and 30lbs... I don't think my Great Dane put on weight that fast :huh:

Re: Hello from San Diego, CA

Posted: Sat Apr 09, 2011 3:00 pm
by icvanstra
Great photo of Stryker!

Re: Hello from San Diego, CA

Posted: Sat Apr 09, 2011 3:20 pm
by Kristie E
I Love those ears!!

Re: Hello from San Diego, CA

Posted: Sat Apr 09, 2011 5:20 pm
by leih merigian
Handsome boy and great shot!

Re: Hello from San Diego, CA

Posted: Sat Apr 09, 2011 6:25 pm
by Sugars Mom
OMG that pic is so cute! I love the ears! I can't believe he is 30 lbs at 3 1/2 months old!! Looks like he will be huge! My little Dutchie mix is 30 lbs at 9 months...but she is the perfect size for us :D

You plan on letting him sleep in your bed? Ha ha

Re: Hello from San Diego, CA

Posted: Wed Nov 16, 2011 1:54 am
by Buddy
Hello Donna... I too live in S.D. I'm interested in information you may have. My "Buddy" is very close in age to Stryker. Buddy was a rescue from the Bonita Shelter. They estimated his age at under a year. Many stars have aligned for me to find you for it to be a coincident. Could we be more than neighbors?

Re: Hello from San Diego, CA

Posted: Thu Nov 17, 2011 12:00 am
by Lauren
What a great shot! and oh, those ears!!!! I bet he will be a big boy.

My girl, Xena, who I keep insisting will NOT get bigger than 50 lbs, was 24.5 lbs at 16 weeks. Her parents were way too big for standard, but I hope she will be more of a DS weight and build.

Let us know how he grows!!! :dssmile:

Re: Hello from San Diego, CA

Posted: Fri Nov 18, 2011 2:01 am
by kchristy
Welcome and such a great picture! He is so pretty and such big ears :)