Page 1 of 2
Is my dog a Dutch Sheperd?
Posted: Sun Apr 17, 2011 10:24 pm
by Dognouveau
Hello!
We rescued our dog in January and are just loving the little guy! He's working through issues, but doing pretty well with most things.
Anyway, we had always been told that he was a german sheperd /whippet x . I had never seen a dutch sheperd and now I'm thinking that's what he is!
Two things that make me wonder if he's mixed with whippet 1.floppiest of ears 2. he's only about 40lbs.
What does everyone think?

Re: Is my dog a Dutch Sheperd?
Posted: Sun Apr 17, 2011 11:17 pm
by Kristie E
I'd have to say yes at least except for the ears... !! Welcome!
Re: Is my dog a Dutch Sheperd?
Posted: Sun Apr 17, 2011 11:26 pm
by Dognouveau
Thanks Kristie! Everything I've read says they typically weigh about 60-65 lbs, so that threw me too.
He's a very hyper boy despite about 2 hours a day of exercise, and was quite mouthy when we got him, he's getting better, ....slowly.

Re: Is my dog a Dutch Sheperd?
Posted: Sun Apr 17, 2011 11:35 pm
by Breaking Bombs
Any idea how old he may be? He could have some growing to do. Also, could be why his ears aren't up if he is still really young.
I would venture that he is at least DS/X. He does have the color, the mask, and the tail that make me think DS
Re: Is my dog a Dutch Sheperd?
Posted: Sun Apr 17, 2011 11:45 pm
by Dognouveau
Hi Nick, he is about 12 months old, do they continue to grow after that age?
Thanks!
Re: Is my dog a Dutch Sheperd?
Posted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 1:10 am
by Raven
Check out the thread "Growth and Age" under the "Whatever" category. Oh--and welcome! And thanks for giving a dog another chance by adopting.

Re: Is my dog a Dutch Sheperd?
Posted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 1:45 am
by Dognouveau
Hi Sharon,
That was a big help, I am going to investigate his size further on that thread. I appreciate the kudos on adopting, Thanks!
Re: Is my dog a Dutch Sheperd?
Posted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 1:51 am
by k9katet
He is adorable!
Re: Is my dog a Dutch Sheperd?
Posted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 2:20 am
by Dognouveau
Thanks Heather!
Re: Is my dog a Dutch Sheperd?
Posted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 2:30 am
by Raven
You will be asked to create a signature for yourself so that everyone can call you by name and know who you are. Just thought I'd mention that.
I can no longer view recently added photos to this forum since I upgraded to Explorer 9, but I sure would love to see your new baby.
Re: Is my dog a Dutch Sheperd?
Posted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 2:36 am
by Christie M
HA - Sharon beat me to the punch!!
I was posting "please visit the user control panel and create a signature with your full name...." HAHA. Thank you Sharon!!
Also, I wanted to say welcome to the forum! I am in the minority, because I don't think that your kid is a Dutch Shepherd. He is an awfully handsome guy! But his size and build are not quit completely fitting. He could be a Dutch Shepherd mix, but I can also see where someone would say Whippet mix - or he could be a combination or of two mixed breeds.
Either way, we are happy to have you and would love to hear how you came to acquire him! As I said, he is cute as can be! I bet he would be an agility fool!!!
Re: Is my dog a Dutch Sheperd?
Posted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 3:09 am
by Dognouveau
Hi Christie,
Thanks, I added a bit more information.
I can't wait to try the little man at agility, he's amazing to watch run! I'm a member of a whippet cross forum too, and it doesn't seem like individuals there have the same personality traits as Bentley, I've found more pictures that look like him here and more personality traits that are similar. He's such a smart little guy, maybe he just THINKS he's a dutch sheperd

Re: Is my dog a Dutch Sheperd?
Posted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 12:07 pm
by icvanstra
I'm no expert ... but based on the photo's alone, I would have to say a mix breed.
Re: Is my dog a Dutch Sheperd?
Posted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 12:14 pm
by dutchringdog
my first thought was a Pitt Mix because of all of the white, but his head is nice and not blocky. He is small for a 1yo too. But none the less he is adorable!!!!
Re: Is my dog a Dutch Sheperd?
Posted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 4:45 pm
by leih merigian
Welcome!
He's a doll, whatever he is!
Re: Is my dog a Dutch Sheperd?
Posted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 4:49 pm
by Dognouveau
Re: Is my dog a Dutch Sheperd?
Posted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 5:46 pm
by Dutchringgirl
he is so cute!!!!! I love the sleeping picture,
Re: Is my dog a Dutch Sheperd?
Posted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 7:15 pm
by Dognouveau
Thank you! I love you little pups too!
Re: Is my dog a Dutch Sheperd?
Posted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 7:51 pm
by Kristie E
he is ridiculously cute!! I still say a DSx... something.. Gwen looked like whippet cross when her ears were still floppy... and she was still skinny and gangly..
Re: Is my dog a Dutch Sheperd?
Posted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 8:09 pm
by Dognouveau
Kristie- thanks for the info! His cuteness is what makes me keep him when he gets really mouthy

. He's an excited little man. Today he found and ate some old dead fish at the pond. ... ick... he smelled so much he got a bath. But he enjoyed himself!