Page 1 of 1

Hello from California

Posted: Mon Apr 25, 2011 7:21 am
by NightRider1015
First off, let me just say that I really enjoyed reading some of the posts on this site. I do not (YET) have a Dutch Sheperd but I am interested in the breed. I am a Police Officer here in California and I am interested in getting a DS and working with it, in hopes of maybe turning him into a service dog. I am very similiar with dogs and have an English Yellow Lab that is part of my family. He is a big boy, weighing close to 100lbs but is very gentle with my kids. I don't know much about DS's, besides what I have read on this site and internet, but can honesly say I'm really excited at the chance of owning one. Can someone tell me where I can start? Any good breeders here in Southern California?? Thanks,
Zack

Re: Hello from California

Posted: Mon Apr 25, 2011 7:24 am
by NightRider1015
By the way, sorry for the spelling issue. I'm trying to type on my crackberry.

Re: Hello from California

Posted: Mon Apr 25, 2011 5:20 pm
by leih merigian
Hey Zack, Welcome!

So, what kind of service dog would you have in mind for your DS, potentially?

My 10 month old is doing great along these lines (it's just one of her many jobs :mrgreen: ). She'll throw stuff out in the trash for me, pick up anything I drop and hand it to me, put something in the laundry basket, and for those things I don't want her to actually pick up (when I drop a pill, for example), she'll find it and indicate where it is with her nose ("show me!"). OK, sometimes the pill gets a little wet :roll: ...we're still working on this one, but for a puppy, she's doing just great in these assistance areas.

I don't know any breeders in your area, tho there are several who are members of this site. I got my puppy from Utah (I'm in VA), and had no trouble with the whole shipping thing, with the only downside being not having the opportunity to meet the litter. So, you may not want to limit yourself to breeders in your area.

Glad you found us.

Re: Hello from California

Posted: Tue Apr 26, 2011 2:08 am
by Kristie E
Hi Zack! Glad you found us... I'm sure we could all just go on and on about our DS's!! Probably makes other people quite ill especially non dog folks.
Gwen is starting protection work. I have been around GSDs my whole life and she is quite different, challenging, and VERY FUN! Gwen is my crack head. In fact I have to work on the above pill thing... since she ate my other dog's heart worm medicine after he dropped it yesterday. :eek: I have fuzz brain right now and absolutely no voice which she is taking advantage of and so even if I could have thought to say leave it (which I didn't) it would have come out as a squeak anyway.

As for good responsible breeders there seems to be many to be found. Gwen came from Utah (before that Germany). I am not particularly fond of the flying thing but she seems to be just fine, I had planned on driving but things didn't work out that way. There are no breeders in Michigan that I would consider purchasing from so I had to look for pups out of state. You might want to see if the rescue has any pups available.

Re: Hello from California

Posted: Wed Apr 27, 2011 4:06 pm
by k9katet
Leih - it's neat that you are teaching Geyser all those around the house jobs. I think that is a DS dream come true to be able to work all the time.

Re: Hello from California

Posted: Wed Apr 27, 2011 4:57 pm
by vneerland
Welcome Zack! I hope you find the information you are looking for. 8-)

Re: Hello from California

Posted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 2:45 pm
by leih merigian
k9katet wrote:Leih - it's neat that you are teaching Geyser all those around the house jobs. I think that is a DS dream come true to be able to work all the time.
Thanks, Heather.

One thing that's wonderful about her is that she'll do these little tasks for free, too. She just seems happy to help (I know I'm anthropomorphizing here, but still...). My GSD much preferred to get paid for everything :lol: . But Geyser? I drop something and she rushes to pick it up and give it to me. I love it!

To the OP: Much as I enjoy doing so, I wasn't detailing Geyser's experience to brag, but rather to demonstrate how well they can do at these service-type jobs (oh, sure.... :whistle: )

Re: Hello from California

Posted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 7:43 pm
by Marjolein
welcome :dslook:

Re: Hello from California

Posted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 11:18 pm
by NightRider1015
Thanks for the greetings and information. I have been researching a breeder in San Diego. I'll keep everyone updated.

Re: Hello from California

Posted: Fri Apr 29, 2011 6:43 pm
by Christie M
leih merigian wrote:Thanks, Heather.

One thing that's wonderful about her is that she'll do these little tasks for free, too. She just seems happy to help (I know I'm anthropomorphizing here, but still...). My GSD much preferred to get paid for everything :lol: . But Geyser? I drop something and she rushes to pick it up and give it to me. I love it!

To the OP: Much as I enjoy doing so, I wasn't detailing Geyser's experience to brag, but rather to demonstrate how well they can do at these service-type jobs (oh, sure.... :whistle: )
I didn't think you were bragging and I hope no one else does. You have accomplished a ton in a very short period of time.

I do agree that they offer up the behaviors a ton. But just to play devil's advocate - do you think that she is quick to respond because completion of that task may result in the next one? Could he "pay" be the activity and interaction? Just not food? My dogs retrieve like crazy only because I'm gonna throw it again. I think I want that auto launcher!!! I think they would be just as attentive and attached to that :D

Re: Hello from California

Posted: Sat Apr 30, 2011 3:04 am
by leih merigian
Christie M wrote: I do agree that they offer up the behaviors a ton. But just to play devil's advocate - do you think that she is quick to respond because completion of that task may result in the next one? Could he "pay" be the activity and interaction? Just not food? My dogs retrieve like crazy only because I'm gonna throw it again. I think I want that auto launcher!!! I think they would be just as attentive and attached to that :D
I do think there must be some payoff for her, even if it's simply my heartfelt thanks. I've been letting her out of her crate in the morning earlier and earlier (as opposed to waiting until I'll all done making the bed and stuff like that), and the other day, she immediately brought me a pen that had fallen on the floor in the kitchen. Now, she could have chosen instead to say, "OMG, a chew toy! Yay!" But she didn't; she picked it up and brought it to me.

You bet she got some positive interaction out of that one :mrgreen: . I guess, the big difference for me is that with my GSD, she much preferred edible payoffs or toy interaction, while Geyser is happy with a much wider variety of rewards :stickman:

Re: Hello from California

Posted: Sun May 01, 2011 6:50 am
by NightRider1015
I got thread jacked. :mrgreen:

Re: Hello from California

Posted: Mon May 02, 2011 2:51 pm
by k9katet
It's very common on this board. :)

Re: Hello from California

Posted: Tue May 03, 2011 12:15 pm
by Marjolein
k9katet wrote:It's very common on this board. :)
it's very common on all DS boards I'm on (4.. :oops: ) :dssmile: