Page 1 of 2

Melting? Watch this topic!

Posted: Sat Jul 16, 2011 6:23 pm
by Marjolein
Today we went to a nearby park/forest. It is a former park belonging to "schwanenburg" castle of Prins Moritz, who lived in 1604-1679. It was re-created a couple of years ago, alongside some monuments that have always been there.
It's a nice and quiet piece of forest, you hardly ever see anyone, althought it's very nice. InGermany your dogs get to run free almost everywhere, as long as you are in control. If you are NOT in control, hunters are allowed to shoot any dog chasing wildlife, except for SAR and Police dogs... You get 3 warnings, but it is said they do not always wait for a third one...
Anyway, I have everthing under control, ofcourse, so they get to roam free :D (there are never hunters around 'cause the area is way too small for wildlife, hihi)


Image
vieuw on the Schwanenburg Castle

Image
running in the forest

Image
the trail follows a river (the Wetering) and contains lots of waterbirds...

Image
and Dutch Shepherds

Image
Ivil retrieves a stick..


Image
again...

Image
...distracted by a "floating chicken" :dschick:

Image
on the way back she spots the swimming lunch again... "NEE!"

Image
annnnd...

Image
...schake!

Image
Dingo retrieves the stick too...

Image
Ivil is very upset, it was hers first!

Image
So she figures out a plan...

Image
...to get it...

Image
...as ususal...

Image
...when Dingo looks away.

Image
Darn! he is getting my stick again! :dsangry:

Image
pretend I'm not watching...

Image
and then sneak up...

Image
Got it! :twisted:

Image
ahh, lovely overhere. Where did Ivil go?

Image
Oh, me welll, I'm just hangin out Dingo. :whistle:

Image
HAP

Image
Run!!

Image
Dingo digs a hole in the water...

Image
Hey Dingo, I got the stick "jaja, whatever, I'm diggin' a hole!"

Image
I got the stikc! I got the stick! "dig dig dig, darn, why can't I get a hole in this stuff?? Eat this water!! and this!" :dsangry: :dsrazz:

Image
Whahaha, the old fool thinks he can dig a hole in water :dssmile:

Image
The trail goes up...

Image
for a nice vieuw over the park

Image
and back at the car we spotted some baby-swans. (Schwanenburg means "Swan Castle")

Re: Melting? Watch this topic!

Posted: Sat Jul 16, 2011 6:40 pm
by Schlussdibusti
Seufz, soooooooooo beautiful.
We are booking the next Lufthansa flight out of Miami!!!

Re: Melting? Watch this topic!

Posted: Sat Jul 16, 2011 7:40 pm
by Dutchringgirl
WOW !!! Great pictures of the dogs and Scenery !

Re: Melting? Watch this topic!

Posted: Sat Jul 16, 2011 9:11 pm
by Sugars Mom
Very nice! Thanks for sharing :)

Re: Melting? Watch this topic!

Posted: Sun Jul 17, 2011 1:07 pm
by alspyce
Beautiful!!

Re: Melting? Watch this topic!

Posted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 3:36 am
by k9katet
Looks like doggy heaven!

Re: Melting? Watch this topic!

Posted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 4:19 pm
by vneerland
:( I am still waiting for most of the pictures to load (after sitting here for 15 minutes) Just a few too many for my stystem. But the few that I can (fully) see, are beautiful.
I am trying to envision a hunter shooting a dog here in Texas. It would surely happen, but not with the owner right behind him, or the hunter would end up dead himself. :evil:
But of course, you have absolute control over your dogs, right? :whistle: (Your girl Ivil does not chase anything, correct?) :dschick:
Thanks for the cool splash. My ponds are dried up, the lakes here are drying up, and what little water is left is luke warm and stagnant with algea. :eew:

Re: Melting? Watch this topic!

Posted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 5:11 pm
by leih merigian
I love your picture stories...and what a great place to take the dogs! Green with jealousy there...

Re: Melting? Watch this topic!

Posted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 5:58 pm
by Marjolein
vneerland wrote: (Your girl Ivil does not chase anything, correct?) :dschick:
correct, since we got her a fancy hearing aid :whistle:

Re: Melting? Watch this topic!

Posted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 7:56 pm
by GSDNanny
Absolutely wonderful! I love all of the photos esp of the shaking water off. The landscape is very pretty and reminds me of how green it is in my area of the states, with lots of water sources (lakes,rivers,bayous). The only thing is that we have to be ever so careful in where we take the dogs for swims as we have humongous GATORS that can drown and eat a large dog in minutes.

Thank you for sharing!

Re: Melting? Watch this topic!

Posted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 8:09 pm
by Marjolein
Yup, I'm really happy we do not have gators! I remember from being in Africa, and wondering why nobody was swimming in this hot weather...well..I know now :mrgreen: Gators, hippo's, snakes, bloodsuckers, whatever. Our water is safe :D I get to swim together with the dogs in summer, I love that!

Re: Melting? Watch this topic!

Posted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 4:29 pm
by leih merigian
Marjolein wrote: I get to swim together with the dogs in summer, I love that!
Me too...

Tell me, how do you get them to understand the concept of "off" in this situation, so you don't get scraped by feet/nails?

Re: Melting? Watch this topic!

Posted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 7:15 pm
by Marjolein
leih merigian wrote:
Marjolein wrote: I get to swim together with the dogs in summer, I love that!
Me too...

Tell me, how do you get them to understand the concept of "off" in this situation, so you don't get scraped by feet/nails?
I never did... just throw a ball away from you and your safe for a couple of seconds :mrgreen: And I just keep pushing them off me :lol:

Re: Melting? Watch this topic!

Posted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 9:24 pm
by vneerland
GSDNanny wrote: The only thing is that we have to be ever so careful in where we take the dogs for swims as we have humongous GATORS that can drown and eat a large dog in minutes.
The other day, Kwinny walked by a snake at the then almost (now totally) dry pond. The only snakes I have seen in it, have been the non poisonous water snakes. She went by one, though, that had it's head all the way up, and when she passed again, at 3 ft, it tried to strike, displaying that huge gaping white mouth. Friendly snakes do not strike :shock: so one bullet later, the water moccasin/cottonmouth that had, no doubt, been looking for some water in this drought, had perished. Better it than my dog though. :evil:
I am sure I will be a bit more leery for a while, about my dogs swimming in my own ponds even. :(

Re: Melting? Watch this topic!

Posted: Thu Jul 21, 2011 12:05 am
by leih merigian
Good that you were armed, eh? What a great shot! :stickman: (no s***, you managed to hit a snake with a handgun? :wtg: Judith, one, cottonmouth, 0)

Re: Melting? Watch this topic!

Posted: Thu Jul 21, 2011 12:50 am
by icvanstra
Judith,

A) for some reason it just makes me smile that you are armed on your own property.... oh wait... you live in a civilized state like Texas. Sorry, didn't mean to say 'state' I meant Republic. :g_wink:

B) When are you going to get some decent internet?

C) Glad to hear that the dog is safe.

Re: Melting? Watch this topic!

Posted: Thu Jul 21, 2011 3:56 am
by Schlussdibusti
I learned a while ago "don't mess with Texas!" :D

I lived with my two black labs in Austin for while. Loved it. Only one problem: no ocean
B&J in Austin, TX.JPG

Re: Melting? Watch this topic!

Posted: Thu Jul 21, 2011 9:46 pm
by Marjolein
wow, you actually HIT the snake Judith?? Aren't you scared to hit a dog instead :oops: And yes, get decent internet, we need live footage of these events!! :dsangry:

Re: Melting? Watch this topic!

Posted: Mon Jul 25, 2011 12:18 am
by vneerland
icvanstra wrote:Judith,

A) for some reason it just makes me smile that you are armed on your own property.... oh wait... you live in a civilized state like Texas. Sorry, didn't mean to say 'state' I meant Republic. :g_wink:

B) When are you going to get some decent internet?

C) Glad to hear that the dog is safe.
For the record. It was not me who hit the snake. It was my dear husband. The way I hit snakes is with a hoe. Six times. Or more. As for the armed on your own property: Uh...yes. When out for a walk anyway. So you know what to tell a snake (or hog) that offends you or your dog. :twisted:
In all fairness though. That coppehead out by the front door that night, got hit too, but so did the waterhose. It would have made for a great youtube vid. :lol:
It is pretty civilized here, Erik, I assure you. And a polite 'republic' too! :player: (What was that saying again? An armed society is a polite society?) Decent internet = parking at the courthouse for WiFi. Other than that, too many snakes that do not pay the investment back for the companies that provide high speed internet. :duh:
Marjolein wrote:And yes, get decent internet, we need live footage of these events!! :dsangry:
You kidding? :yernuts: How do you hold a gun and a camera at the same time? ;)

@ Schusstibusti: That lake looks sooooooo good to me right now! Nice shot, and I love Austin (and San Antonio)

Re: Melting? Watch this topic!

Posted: Mon Jul 25, 2011 2:45 am
by Schlussdibusti
vneerland wrote:
You kidding? How do you hold a gun and a camera at the same time?
You're cracking me up! :lmao: