Melting? Watch this topic!

Have a photo you want to share?
User avatar
Marjolein
Working Dog
Posts: 2078
Joined: Sun Jul 11, 2010 7:17 pm
Tell us about yourself: I'm a Dutchie myself ;-) but live in Germany with Johan and my two DS's Cobber-Dingo and Knivil (Dingo and Ivil to friends...)
Location: Warbeyen, Germany
Contact:

Melting? Watch this topic!

Post by Marjolein »

Today we went to a nearby park/forest. It is a former park belonging to "schwanenburg" castle of Prins Moritz, who lived in 1604-1679. It was re-created a couple of years ago, alongside some monuments that have always been there.
It's a nice and quiet piece of forest, you hardly ever see anyone, althought it's very nice. InGermany your dogs get to run free almost everywhere, as long as you are in control. If you are NOT in control, hunters are allowed to shoot any dog chasing wildlife, except for SAR and Police dogs... You get 3 warnings, but it is said they do not always wait for a third one...
Anyway, I have everthing under control, ofcourse, so they get to roam free :D (there are never hunters around 'cause the area is way too small for wildlife, hihi)


Image
vieuw on the Schwanenburg Castle

Image
running in the forest

Image
the trail follows a river (the Wetering) and contains lots of waterbirds...

Image
and Dutch Shepherds

Image
Ivil retrieves a stick..


Image
again...

Image
...distracted by a "floating chicken" :dschick:

Image
on the way back she spots the swimming lunch again... "NEE!"

Image
annnnd...

Image
...schake!

Image
Dingo retrieves the stick too...

Image
Ivil is very upset, it was hers first!

Image
So she figures out a plan...

Image
...to get it...

Image
...as ususal...

Image
...when Dingo looks away.

Image
Darn! he is getting my stick again! :dsangry:

Image
pretend I'm not watching...

Image
and then sneak up...

Image
Got it! :twisted:

Image
ahh, lovely overhere. Where did Ivil go?

Image
Oh, me welll, I'm just hangin out Dingo. :whistle:

Image
HAP

Image
Run!!

Image
Dingo digs a hole in the water...

Image
Hey Dingo, I got the stick "jaja, whatever, I'm diggin' a hole!"

Image
I got the stikc! I got the stick! "dig dig dig, darn, why can't I get a hole in this stuff?? Eat this water!! and this!" :dsangry: :dsrazz:

Image
Whahaha, the old fool thinks he can dig a hole in water :dssmile:

Image
The trail goes up...

Image
for a nice vieuw over the park

Image
and back at the car we spotted some baby-swans. (Schwanenburg means "Swan Castle")
Image
User avatar
Schlussdibusti
Working Dog
Posts: 1040
Joined: Mon Jun 13, 2011 6:25 pm
Tell us about yourself: I adopted a DS

Re: Melting? Watch this topic!

Post by Schlussdibusti »

Seufz, soooooooooo beautiful.
We are booking the next Lufthansa flight out of Miami!!!
Eva & Marco BH
Jupiter, Florida
User avatar
Dutchringgirl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Posts: 5692
Joined: Sat Feb 12, 2011 3:05 pm
Tell us about yourself: I am a mom of 6 life forces - 2 kids and 3 dogs 1 hamster. I live in Ct. I have trained Ringsport and Agility and have 2 DS, one 15 and 7 and a Basset Hound Cookie who is 2
Location: Ct, USA

Re: Melting? Watch this topic!

Post by Dutchringgirl »

WOW !!! Great pictures of the dogs and Scenery !
Lisa, Thalie CGC & Sadie, Cookie the Basset, CT
ImageImage
Sugars Mom
Working Dog
Posts: 1734
Joined: Thu Mar 03, 2011 12:16 am
Tell us about yourself: I adopted a Dutch Shepherd mix (without knowing what she was) from the SPCA here in Victoria BC and am now trying to learn everything I can about this breed. My husband and I work from home most of the time so I thought it was time to get a puppy! We have his 2 boys here half the time and we wanted a nice family dog.

Sugar looks like a miniature Dutch Shepherd with floppy ears, and has every ounce of DS traits in her little body!

I hope to learn from other DS owners and share doggy experiences.
Location: Victoria BC

Re: Melting? Watch this topic!

Post by Sugars Mom »

Very nice! Thanks for sharing :)
Sue (and Sugar)

Image
User avatar
alspyce
Working Dog
Posts: 1222
Joined: Wed Mar 23, 2011 5:51 pm
Tell us about yourself: I am in New York State. Got my first DS about 14 years ago (more or less as a rescue- lost her in Nov.). After years of GSD's, and a few dogs of other breeds (Rotti/Beauceron/Ger. Shorthaired Pointer/ Yorkie and my current Jack Russell) I now have another DS, 4mo female, no name yet, tho I have a few in mind.
Also have a horse-old quarter horse mare-32.
Can't wait for all the snow to get gone! Spring is coming too slow this year!
Location: Corinth, New York

Re: Melting? Watch this topic!

Post by alspyce »

Beautiful!!
"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened." Anatole France
Chris Carlton/Lyric
User avatar
k9katet
Training Dog
Posts: 443
Joined: Wed Jun 30, 2010 8:04 pm
Tell us about yourself: We current own 1 Dutch Shepherd - ThunderHawk's Child of Lilith "Mazikeen"
And we have loved and lost 3 - Vrijheid's Amie "Vada", Vrijheid's Hafwen "Letty" and Sather's High On Life "Narcotic".
We train/compete in mondioring and agility.
Location: Minnesota
Contact:

Re: Melting? Watch this topic!

Post by k9katet »

Looks like doggy heaven!
Heather Sather & Mazikeen
http://www.k9katet.com
User avatar
vneerland
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Posts: 1547
Joined: Sat Jun 19, 2010 10:10 pm
Tell us about yourself: *
Location: Tex@s

Re: Melting? Watch this topic!

Post by vneerland »

:( I am still waiting for most of the pictures to load (after sitting here for 15 minutes) Just a few too many for my stystem. But the few that I can (fully) see, are beautiful.
I am trying to envision a hunter shooting a dog here in Texas. It would surely happen, but not with the owner right behind him, or the hunter would end up dead himself. :evil:
But of course, you have absolute control over your dogs, right? :whistle: (Your girl Ivil does not chase anything, correct?) :dschick:
Thanks for the cool splash. My ponds are dried up, the lakes here are drying up, and what little water is left is luke warm and stagnant with algea. :eew:
ImageJudith Van Neerland Dutch Shepherds Image
leih merigian
Working Dog
Posts: 1960
Joined: Wed Jun 30, 2010 3:20 pm
Tell us about yourself: Had a GSD, am getting a DS puppy in a few weeks. Compete in agility, obedience, and cross train in tons of stuff. Found out about this site from the DS Rescue yahoo list.

Re: Melting? Watch this topic!

Post by leih merigian »

I love your picture stories...and what a great place to take the dogs! Green with jealousy there...
leih merigian
Vrijheid's H'Geyser
Zodiac vom Younghaus (over the bridge)
Central VA (near Charlottesville)
It's never too late to have a happy childhood...
User avatar
Marjolein
Working Dog
Posts: 2078
Joined: Sun Jul 11, 2010 7:17 pm
Tell us about yourself: I'm a Dutchie myself ;-) but live in Germany with Johan and my two DS's Cobber-Dingo and Knivil (Dingo and Ivil to friends...)
Location: Warbeyen, Germany
Contact:

Re: Melting? Watch this topic!

Post by Marjolein »

vneerland wrote: (Your girl Ivil does not chase anything, correct?) :dschick:
correct, since we got her a fancy hearing aid :whistle:
Image
GSDNanny
Training Dog
Posts: 615
Joined: Wed Jul 07, 2010 4:13 pm
Tell us about yourself: Dogs are my life, what can I say. GSDs primarily for nearly 50 years til bringing in my first DutchShep about 4 years ago. GSD rescue for 9 yrs, nearly 200 thru my home, rehabbed, adopted out. Been involved in AKC ob, herding, tracking, agility; Schutzhund-DVG; scent detection (HR-water)&narcotics, some patrol work. Mostly herding training at present on my little farm.

Re: Melting? Watch this topic!

Post by GSDNanny »

Absolutely wonderful! I love all of the photos esp of the shaking water off. The landscape is very pretty and reminds me of how green it is in my area of the states, with lots of water sources (lakes,rivers,bayous). The only thing is that we have to be ever so careful in where we take the dogs for swims as we have humongous GATORS that can drown and eat a large dog in minutes.

Thank you for sharing!

Denise Gatlin & Zip, Shooter & the K9 crew

Livin' in the deep south - Louisiana
User avatar
Marjolein
Working Dog
Posts: 2078
Joined: Sun Jul 11, 2010 7:17 pm
Tell us about yourself: I'm a Dutchie myself ;-) but live in Germany with Johan and my two DS's Cobber-Dingo and Knivil (Dingo and Ivil to friends...)
Location: Warbeyen, Germany
Contact:

Re: Melting? Watch this topic!

Post by Marjolein »

Yup, I'm really happy we do not have gators! I remember from being in Africa, and wondering why nobody was swimming in this hot weather...well..I know now :mrgreen: Gators, hippo's, snakes, bloodsuckers, whatever. Our water is safe :D I get to swim together with the dogs in summer, I love that!
Image
leih merigian
Working Dog
Posts: 1960
Joined: Wed Jun 30, 2010 3:20 pm
Tell us about yourself: Had a GSD, am getting a DS puppy in a few weeks. Compete in agility, obedience, and cross train in tons of stuff. Found out about this site from the DS Rescue yahoo list.

Re: Melting? Watch this topic!

Post by leih merigian »

Marjolein wrote: I get to swim together with the dogs in summer, I love that!
Me too...

Tell me, how do you get them to understand the concept of "off" in this situation, so you don't get scraped by feet/nails?
leih merigian
Vrijheid's H'Geyser
Zodiac vom Younghaus (over the bridge)
Central VA (near Charlottesville)
It's never too late to have a happy childhood...
User avatar
Marjolein
Working Dog
Posts: 2078
Joined: Sun Jul 11, 2010 7:17 pm
Tell us about yourself: I'm a Dutchie myself ;-) but live in Germany with Johan and my two DS's Cobber-Dingo and Knivil (Dingo and Ivil to friends...)
Location: Warbeyen, Germany
Contact:

Re: Melting? Watch this topic!

Post by Marjolein »

leih merigian wrote:
Marjolein wrote: I get to swim together with the dogs in summer, I love that!
Me too...

Tell me, how do you get them to understand the concept of "off" in this situation, so you don't get scraped by feet/nails?
I never did... just throw a ball away from you and your safe for a couple of seconds :mrgreen: And I just keep pushing them off me :lol:
Image
User avatar
vneerland
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Posts: 1547
Joined: Sat Jun 19, 2010 10:10 pm
Tell us about yourself: *
Location: Tex@s

Re: Melting? Watch this topic!

Post by vneerland »

GSDNanny wrote: The only thing is that we have to be ever so careful in where we take the dogs for swims as we have humongous GATORS that can drown and eat a large dog in minutes.
The other day, Kwinny walked by a snake at the then almost (now totally) dry pond. The only snakes I have seen in it, have been the non poisonous water snakes. She went by one, though, that had it's head all the way up, and when she passed again, at 3 ft, it tried to strike, displaying that huge gaping white mouth. Friendly snakes do not strike :shock: so one bullet later, the water moccasin/cottonmouth that had, no doubt, been looking for some water in this drought, had perished. Better it than my dog though. :evil:
I am sure I will be a bit more leery for a while, about my dogs swimming in my own ponds even. :(
ImageJudith Van Neerland Dutch Shepherds Image
leih merigian
Working Dog
Posts: 1960
Joined: Wed Jun 30, 2010 3:20 pm
Tell us about yourself: Had a GSD, am getting a DS puppy in a few weeks. Compete in agility, obedience, and cross train in tons of stuff. Found out about this site from the DS Rescue yahoo list.

Re: Melting? Watch this topic!

Post by leih merigian »

Good that you were armed, eh? What a great shot! :stickman: (no s***, you managed to hit a snake with a handgun? :wtg: Judith, one, cottonmouth, 0)
leih merigian
Vrijheid's H'Geyser
Zodiac vom Younghaus (over the bridge)
Central VA (near Charlottesville)
It's never too late to have a happy childhood...
User avatar
icvanstra
Working Dog
Posts: 1153
Joined: Fri Aug 22, 2008 1:33 am
Tell us about yourself: .
Location: Broad Ripple - the coolest part of Indianapolis - sometimes Amersfoort

Re: Melting? Watch this topic!

Post by icvanstra »

Judith,

A) for some reason it just makes me smile that you are armed on your own property.... oh wait... you live in a civilized state like Texas. Sorry, didn't mean to say 'state' I meant Republic. :g_wink:

B) When are you going to get some decent internet?

C) Glad to hear that the dog is safe.
Eric
  • - Cino vom Foxtal
    - Abigail NORML de Weijer (over the bridge)
    - Hannah the DS wanna be (over the bridge)
User avatar
Schlussdibusti
Working Dog
Posts: 1040
Joined: Mon Jun 13, 2011 6:25 pm
Tell us about yourself: I adopted a DS

Re: Melting? Watch this topic!

Post by Schlussdibusti »

I learned a while ago "don't mess with Texas!" :D

I lived with my two black labs in Austin for while. Loved it. Only one problem: no ocean
B&J in Austin, TX.JPG
Eva & Marco BH
Jupiter, Florida
User avatar
Marjolein
Working Dog
Posts: 2078
Joined: Sun Jul 11, 2010 7:17 pm
Tell us about yourself: I'm a Dutchie myself ;-) but live in Germany with Johan and my two DS's Cobber-Dingo and Knivil (Dingo and Ivil to friends...)
Location: Warbeyen, Germany
Contact:

Re: Melting? Watch this topic!

Post by Marjolein »

wow, you actually HIT the snake Judith?? Aren't you scared to hit a dog instead :oops: And yes, get decent internet, we need live footage of these events!! :dsangry:
Image
User avatar
vneerland
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Posts: 1547
Joined: Sat Jun 19, 2010 10:10 pm
Tell us about yourself: *
Location: Tex@s

Re: Melting? Watch this topic!

Post by vneerland »

icvanstra wrote:Judith,

A) for some reason it just makes me smile that you are armed on your own property.... oh wait... you live in a civilized state like Texas. Sorry, didn't mean to say 'state' I meant Republic. :g_wink:

B) When are you going to get some decent internet?

C) Glad to hear that the dog is safe.
For the record. It was not me who hit the snake. It was my dear husband. The way I hit snakes is with a hoe. Six times. Or more. As for the armed on your own property: Uh...yes. When out for a walk anyway. So you know what to tell a snake (or hog) that offends you or your dog. :twisted:
In all fairness though. That coppehead out by the front door that night, got hit too, but so did the waterhose. It would have made for a great youtube vid. :lol:
It is pretty civilized here, Erik, I assure you. And a polite 'republic' too! :player: (What was that saying again? An armed society is a polite society?) Decent internet = parking at the courthouse for WiFi. Other than that, too many snakes that do not pay the investment back for the companies that provide high speed internet. :duh:
Marjolein wrote:And yes, get decent internet, we need live footage of these events!! :dsangry:
You kidding? :yernuts: How do you hold a gun and a camera at the same time? ;)

@ Schusstibusti: That lake looks sooooooo good to me right now! Nice shot, and I love Austin (and San Antonio)
ImageJudith Van Neerland Dutch Shepherds Image
User avatar
Schlussdibusti
Working Dog
Posts: 1040
Joined: Mon Jun 13, 2011 6:25 pm
Tell us about yourself: I adopted a DS

Re: Melting? Watch this topic!

Post by Schlussdibusti »

vneerland wrote:
You kidding? How do you hold a gun and a camera at the same time?
You're cracking me up! :lmao:
Eva & Marco BH
Jupiter, Florida
Post Reply