Nervous newbie form Western NC

For our new members to introduce themselves
Post Reply
Lauren
Training Dog
Posts: 540
Joined: Thu Jul 21, 2011 11:29 pm
Tell us about yourself: I am a wife, mother of 2 kids, 3 cats, 1 Standard Poodle (10 yrs) and Xena, a Dutch Shepherd Puppy.

Nervous newbie form Western NC

Post by Lauren »

HI! I am so glad to have found this forum. After much searching for a dog that would fit nicely into our family, we decided on the Dutch shepherd breed (lots of on-line and book researching). We found a local breeder who was very good at answering our questions and assuring us that a DS would be a good addition. and we put a deposit on a little girl (Xena) that we will be picking up on Aug 10th when she is about 8 weeks old. We are very excited!!! :D

It has been a long time since I have had a young puppy (my last few dogs were rescues). After reading some of the posts on this board about aggression, and biting, trouble with cats and others, and non stop energy, I am beginning to get a case of cold feet! I will post some questions for you all in another index...

My husband and I live on a couple of acres with an 11 year old son and 14 year old daughter,9 year old standard poodle, 3 indoor cats, 9 free range chickens, and a few rabbits. I have enjoyed agility in the past and hope to do some with Xena when she gets old enough.

Lauren
Lauren from Western NC
User avatar
Schlussdibusti
Working Dog
Posts: 1040
Joined: Mon Jun 13, 2011 6:25 pm
Tell us about yourself: I adopted a DS

Re: Nervous newbie form Western NC

Post by Schlussdibusti »

Welcome to the forum! :wtg: :dschick:
Eva & Marco BH
Jupiter, Florida
User avatar
Christie M
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Posts: 1279
Joined: Wed Jun 30, 2010 10:03 pm
Tell us about yourself: Love my striped beasts.

Re: Nervous newbie form Western NC

Post by Christie M »

Hey Lauren!

Welcome to the group!! Don't over stress things :D You will find lots of support along the way and since this is new breed for many, I think its natural that more problems and issues get posted rather than brags.

Where in western NC are you? Its not THAT far from TN where I am located. Who are you getting your dog from?
Christie Meyer
http://www.northwoodsk9.com
http://www.dutchshepherdrescue.org
http://www.thunderhawkcanine.com

Be proud of the things that you have taught your dog. Be humbled and grateful for all of the things that your dog has taught you. - Unknown
Lauren
Training Dog
Posts: 540
Joined: Thu Jul 21, 2011 11:29 pm
Tell us about yourself: I am a wife, mother of 2 kids, 3 cats, 1 Standard Poodle (10 yrs) and Xena, a Dutch Shepherd Puppy.

Re: Nervous newbie form Western NC

Post by Lauren »

Thanks for the welcome, you two.

Christie I am in Tryon, NC about an hour south of Asheville on the NC/SC border. I am getting little Xena from Doyle Hall in Anderson SC. He has some BEAUTIFUL blue DS girls that are 9 weeks old now. oh, those eyes!!! but they are high drive dogs...already started. I have asked for a low drive pup, NOT alpha who can be a good farm dog, companion and family member... I am very excited and scared at the same .... :P
Lauren from Western NC
leih merigian
Working Dog
Posts: 1960
Joined: Wed Jun 30, 2010 3:20 pm
Tell us about yourself: Had a GSD, am getting a DS puppy in a few weeks. Compete in agility, obedience, and cross train in tons of stuff. Found out about this site from the DS Rescue yahoo list.

Re: Nervous newbie form Western NC

Post by leih merigian »

Welcome, Lauren!

What a group you guys already are with all those critters and such!

You have cut a job out for yourself, but it can be done. The first year will be the hardest...but if you put the time and effort into it with this pup, you'll have a fantastic young dog.

I have a 13 month old DS. My landlords' have about 30 chickens and two horses. My girl knows to leave the chickens alone, and I take her to walk daily across their yard, where the chickens run freely. Now, this requires close supervision, of course, but still, she's just amazing about the chickens. We still disagree about chicken poop, however, with her considering it a delicacy and me, well, you can guess...

Anyway, you'll get tons of support here and people always willing to offer advice, or just a place to vent.

(And, keep in mind that the situation you describe would be challenging for any puppy with any prey drive at all...which is most of them<g>.)
leih merigian
Vrijheid's H'Geyser
Zodiac vom Younghaus (over the bridge)
Central VA (near Charlottesville)
It's never too late to have a happy childhood...
User avatar
vneerland
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Posts: 1547
Joined: Sat Jun 19, 2010 10:10 pm
Tell us about yourself: *
Location: Tex@s

Re: Nervous newbie form Western NC

Post by vneerland »

Welcome Lauren.
I think you are going to love this breed. They can be a bit more inventive than some other breeds, but I also think they can be very rewarding. Ashamed to admit that the name of the breeder does not ring any bells. I assume he breeds for work(ing dogs) but if you have stressed that you want a low key girl, then you have a good chance of getting a dog that is not as challenging as some of the 'bad' examples you have read about here.
Think of us as your support group.We will most likely guide you towards a good obedience class in your neighborhood and if all else fails, Auntie Christie does not live that far from you. She can no doubt straighten you...uh...your dog out for you. :mrgreen:
ImageJudith Van Neerland Dutch Shepherds Image
User avatar
Kristie E
Training Dog
Posts: 321
Joined: Fri Feb 25, 2011 3:09 am
Tell us about yourself: I have had a DS for almost a year. Gwen and I are considering participating in PSA and or possible Ring Sport. I also have a Great Dane. I have grown up around working GSDs and my last GSD was a working K9 officer. I am all about dogs and animals in general and want to learn as much as I can about training.

Re: Nervous newbie form Western NC

Post by Kristie E »

well put Judith. You said some of the things I was thinking myself... interestingly enough I saw a whole gaggle of young DS pups this am at the Club practice.... some were rather low gear pups and a few were way out there. I think if you picked a good breeder (and I don't know this one) they will match you with an appropriate dog... I thank Auntie Christie for hooking me up with a trainer a few hours from me to help me with Gwen so I would listen sharp when Auntie Christie barks.. um talks ...
Gwen has shown me that dogs can and do think quickly on the fly.... and in the process made me feel pretty inept but I seem to have managed to stay ahead of her for the most part .. I dearly love her and have been more than sold on the breed ...
We are glad you are here... so ask and brag away!
:dsrazz:
Kristie
Rommel's Guenhyvar (Gwenice the Menace) BH, PSA PDC sleeve
Lauren
Training Dog
Posts: 540
Joined: Thu Jul 21, 2011 11:29 pm
Tell us about yourself: I am a wife, mother of 2 kids, 3 cats, 1 Standard Poodle (10 yrs) and Xena, a Dutch Shepherd Puppy.

Re: Nervous newbie form Western NC

Post by Lauren »

I am feeling better already. Aunt Christy where in TN are you located????

Dole hall trains his dogs for police and scent work, but has some good reviews from pet home owners...This is a sideline for him as he and his wife own another business.

I have pretty well figured that Xena will be my main focus at least for the next year. One tough year for 14 good ones. I am hopeful that she will follow my standard Poodles cue as to chickens and cats etc.... :dschick:

We have found a highly recommended trainer, and I know that she is working with a friends WIDE OPEN dominant GSD with some success.

I just have to keep reminding myself that in all of my favorite pets over my lifetime (My Arabian, My Airedale terriers, my siamese cats) the things that they have in common are high energy, sense of humor, SMART, and FULL of mischief. The easy ones just aren't as much fun!

Thanks again for the welcome! Lauren
Lauren from Western NC
Post Reply