Hi Everybody!

For our new members to introduce themselves
DogGirl_95
Puppy
Posts: 85
Joined: Tue Nov 01, 2011 3:00 am
Tell us about yourself: I have a Chocolate Labrador named Gunner. He is 8 and 90 lbs of LAZY! I also have three kitties Angel, Sophie, and Daisy our newest addition to our family!
Location: Stockbridge, GA

Hi Everybody!

Post by DogGirl_95 »

Hi I my name is Caitlin and I am 16 years old. I am a very big Animal person but an even bigger Dog person. I came across Dutchies probably a year ago but never became that interested in them until now. I want to know if you guys can point me to a good book to purchase to learn about Dutchie's or some other sort of good place to find reliable info on them, except here of course.
Caitlin Beaumont
User avatar
Marjolein
Working Dog
Posts: 2078
Joined: Sun Jul 11, 2010 7:17 pm
Tell us about yourself: I'm a Dutchie myself ;-) but live in Germany with Johan and my two DS's Cobber-Dingo and Knivil (Dingo and Ivil to friends...)
Location: Warbeyen, Germany
Contact:

Re: Hi Everybody!

Post by Marjolein »

Welcome :D
DogGirl_95 wrote: I want to know if you guys can point me to a good book to purchase to learn about Dutchie's or some other sort of good place to find reliable info on them, except here of course.
How's your Dutch? :mrgreen: Not much books on DS's, even in Dutch there arn't many...
Image
User avatar
kchristy
Training Dog
Posts: 539
Joined: Fri Oct 21, 2011 3:07 pm
Tell us about yourself: My name is Katrina, I have 1 dutch shepherd name Merlin. He is a handful and keeps things in our house very interesting and fun :)
Location: McCurtain, Ok

Re: Hi Everybody!

Post by kchristy »

Doggirl95 my advice would be to read as much information on this forum as possible, to learn what you can. I did alot of research on the internet, after getting my dutchie, and found out that most of it is incorrect. If you are curious about specific things, just do a search of a keyword in the forum search. I have completely quit searching on the internet for information and use the search bar on the forum to find info that Im looking for. These people are really educated about the breed and can tell you everything from; how brindle is formed through genetics, to how a dutchies temperament is be largely based on the parents and bloodline. I have learned so much, just from reading and asking questions on the forum.
Katrina, Soba, & Merlin
DogGirl_95
Puppy
Posts: 85
Joined: Tue Nov 01, 2011 3:00 am
Tell us about yourself: I have a Chocolate Labrador named Gunner. He is 8 and 90 lbs of LAZY! I also have three kitties Angel, Sophie, and Daisy our newest addition to our family!
Location: Stockbridge, GA

Re: Hi Everybody!

Post by DogGirl_95 »

Marjolein wrote:Welcome :D
DogGirl_95 wrote: I want to know if you guys can point me to a good book to purchase to learn about Dutchie's or some other sort of good place to find reliable info on them, except here of course.
How's your Dutch? :mrgreen: Not much books on DS's, even in Dutch there arn't many...

Unfourtnetly I do not have a Dutchie or any of my other Favorite dog breeds but I do have a Chocolate Labrador male from English lines. He is pretty lazy but I still love him to death. He is a good "starter dog". I was wanting some dog books on my favorite breeds then hopefully find some training books for Agility, Obidience Training, and Personal Protection if they had any. I am really a newbie on dogs. I have heard things about Drives though. But I don't even know how and where to start learning about it.
Caitlin Beaumont
DogGirl_95
Puppy
Posts: 85
Joined: Tue Nov 01, 2011 3:00 am
Tell us about yourself: I have a Chocolate Labrador named Gunner. He is 8 and 90 lbs of LAZY! I also have three kitties Angel, Sophie, and Daisy our newest addition to our family!
Location: Stockbridge, GA

Re: Hi Everybody!

Post by DogGirl_95 »

kchristy wrote:Doggirl95 my advice would be to read as much information on this forum as possible, to learn what you can. I did alot of research on the internet, after getting my dutchie, and found out that most of it is incorrect. If you are curious about specific things, just do a search of a keyword in the forum search. I have completely quit searching on the internet for information and use the search bar on the forum to find info that Im looking for. These people are really educated about the breed and can tell you everything from; how brindle is formed through genetics, to how a dutchies temperament is be largely based on the parents and bloodline. I have learned so much, just from reading and asking questions on the forum.

Alright well I guess I will be starting my research on here! I was also skeptical about what I found online so that is why I decided to join this Forum.
Caitlin Beaumont
User avatar
kchristy
Training Dog
Posts: 539
Joined: Fri Oct 21, 2011 3:07 pm
Tell us about yourself: My name is Katrina, I have 1 dutch shepherd name Merlin. He is a handful and keeps things in our house very interesting and fun :)
Location: McCurtain, Ok

Re: Hi Everybody!

Post by kchristy »

I was too, then I started asking questions about the things I found online and felt like a complete idiot when none of it was true. I was worried over nothing. Just ask away, I can help you find info too if you need any help. I am new to the breed too, but have read almost ever post on this forum! Interesting stuff :)
Katrina, Soba, & Merlin
DogGirl_95
Puppy
Posts: 85
Joined: Tue Nov 01, 2011 3:00 am
Tell us about yourself: I have a Chocolate Labrador named Gunner. He is 8 and 90 lbs of LAZY! I also have three kitties Angel, Sophie, and Daisy our newest addition to our family!
Location: Stockbridge, GA

Re: Hi Everybody!

Post by DogGirl_95 »

kchristy wrote:I was too, then I started asking questions about the things I found online and felt like a complete idiot when none of it was true. I was worried over nothing. Just ask away, I can help you find info too if you need any help. I am new to the breed too, but have read almost ever post on this forum! Interesting stuff :)
Thanks I will probably be asking you a couple questions soon.
Caitlin Beaumont
CaroleBoaz
Training Dog
Posts: 592
Joined: Wed Oct 19, 2011 2:52 am
Tell us about yourself: I am currently the Secretary and Treasurer of the Dutch Shepherd Club of North America. We are the national breed club for Dutch Shepherds, and have the support of the Nederlandse Herdershonden Club in our endeavours to record the Dutch Shepherd breed in the United States and Canada through the American Kennel Club. dscna.com Join us on Facebook.
Contact:

Re: Hi Everybody!

Post by CaroleBoaz »

Hi! Welcome!
User avatar
Marjolein
Working Dog
Posts: 2078
Joined: Sun Jul 11, 2010 7:17 pm
Tell us about yourself: I'm a Dutchie myself ;-) but live in Germany with Johan and my two DS's Cobber-Dingo and Knivil (Dingo and Ivil to friends...)
Location: Warbeyen, Germany
Contact:

Re: Hi Everybody!

Post by Marjolein »

DogGirl_95 wrote:
Marjolein wrote:
How's your Dutch? :mrgreen: Not much books on DS's, even in Dutch there arn't many...

Unfourtnetly I do not have a Dutchie or any of my other Favorite dog breeds but I do have a Chocolate Labrador male from English lines. He is pretty lazy but I still love him to death. He is a good "starter dog". I was wanting some dog books on my favorite breeds then hopefully find some training books for Agility, Obidience Training, and Personal Protection if they had any. I am really a newbie on dogs. I have heard things about Drives though. But I don't even know how and where to start learning about it.

I meant it litterally, how is your Dutch (language). There are no books (that I know of) written in another langauge than Dutch about this breed, except for "the red book" which is in English, but is sold out... ;)
So, ask away is the best option, I do have all the Dutch books, except one that is very rare :( so I can look things up, whaha.
Image
User avatar
icvanstra
Working Dog
Posts: 1153
Joined: Fri Aug 22, 2008 1:33 am
Tell us about yourself: .
Location: Broad Ripple - the coolest part of Indianapolis - sometimes Amersfoort

Re: Hi Everybody!

Post by icvanstra »

Marjolein wrote:I meant it litterally, how is your Dutch (language).
Marjolein is right. Even the Dutch ones are hard to find. In all my trips over to The Netherlands and wandering (see Marjolein I do know how to use the word :lol: ) around in bookstores it is not easy to find them.
Eric
  • - Cino vom Foxtal
    - Abigail NORML de Weijer (over the bridge)
    - Hannah the DS wanna be (over the bridge)
CaroleBoaz
Training Dog
Posts: 592
Joined: Wed Oct 19, 2011 2:52 am
Tell us about yourself: I am currently the Secretary and Treasurer of the Dutch Shepherd Club of North America. We are the national breed club for Dutch Shepherds, and have the support of the Nederlandse Herdershonden Club in our endeavours to record the Dutch Shepherd breed in the United States and Canada through the American Kennel Club. dscna.com Join us on Facebook.
Contact:

Re: Hi Everybody!

Post by CaroleBoaz »

I have a book in English, translated from Dutch, which is a very thorough examination of proper conformation. But most people aren't interested in that, except for the judge at the IABCA show where my dog earned his IntCH. It has a nice little quiz: "Belgian or Hollander?" Since most people think the only difference between the DS and Belgian Shepherds is the color.

I also have this book http://www.hollandseherder.nl/, but it is in Dutch. Okay, I don't actually have it yet, but it's in transit. The shipping cost is as much as the book, though. And, of course, they don't take credit cards, so you have to have another way to pay for it.

There is also an nice article, in Dutch :), in the January 2011 issue of Hondenwereld. http://www.dehondenwereld.com/vorigenummers.html I had somebody in The Netherlands order it for me and I picked it up when I went there on vacation in June.

So, you see, if you know Dutch, there are some books. The thing is, these articles are based on the pedigreed dogs. In the US, most people focus on the working dogs.

(Here is a good English version of the history of the breed. http://www.sevenpineskennel.com/dutch_s ... istory.htm)
Sugars Mom
Working Dog
Posts: 1734
Joined: Thu Mar 03, 2011 12:16 am
Tell us about yourself: I adopted a Dutch Shepherd mix (without knowing what she was) from the SPCA here in Victoria BC and am now trying to learn everything I can about this breed. My husband and I work from home most of the time so I thought it was time to get a puppy! We have his 2 boys here half the time and we wanted a nice family dog.

Sugar looks like a miniature Dutch Shepherd with floppy ears, and has every ounce of DS traits in her little body!

I hope to learn from other DS owners and share doggy experiences.
Location: Victoria BC

Re: Hi Everybody!

Post by Sugars Mom »

blackpuppy wrote:

(Here is a good English version of the history of the breed. http://www.sevenpineskennel.com/dutch_s ... istory.htm)
Interesting!
Sue (and Sugar)

Image
User avatar
Marjolein
Working Dog
Posts: 2078
Joined: Sun Jul 11, 2010 7:17 pm
Tell us about yourself: I'm a Dutchie myself ;-) but live in Germany with Johan and my two DS's Cobber-Dingo and Knivil (Dingo and Ivil to friends...)
Location: Warbeyen, Germany
Contact:

Re: Hi Everybody!

Post by Marjolein »

blackpuppy wrote:I have a book in English, translated from Dutch, which is a very thorough examination of proper conformation. But most people aren't interested in that, except for the judge at the IABCA show where my dog earned his IntCH. It has a nice little quiz: "Belgian or Hollander?" Since most people think the only difference between the DS and Belgian Shepherds is the color.
That is what is known as "het rode boekje" or for the non-Dutch "the red booklet"

@Eric, glad you seem to learn from your mistakes :lol: :player:
Image
GSDNanny
Training Dog
Posts: 615
Joined: Wed Jul 07, 2010 4:13 pm
Tell us about yourself: Dogs are my life, what can I say. GSDs primarily for nearly 50 years til bringing in my first DutchShep about 4 years ago. GSD rescue for 9 yrs, nearly 200 thru my home, rehabbed, adopted out. Been involved in AKC ob, herding, tracking, agility; Schutzhund-DVG; scent detection (HR-water)&narcotics, some patrol work. Mostly herding training at present on my little farm.

Re: Hi Everybody!

Post by GSDNanny »

You are quite smart to do your research beforehand. I especially commend you at your age for that effort. We welcome you. Feel free to ask questions, that is how we all learn. :wtg:

Oh and Eric has been 'wandering' the bookstores 'wondering' where in the world are the Dutch Shep books!! Just jokin' with ya, Eric! :dssmile:

Denise Gatlin & Zip, Shooter & the K9 crew

Livin' in the deep south - Louisiana
CaroleBoaz
Training Dog
Posts: 592
Joined: Wed Oct 19, 2011 2:52 am
Tell us about yourself: I am currently the Secretary and Treasurer of the Dutch Shepherd Club of North America. We are the national breed club for Dutch Shepherds, and have the support of the Nederlandse Herdershonden Club in our endeavours to record the Dutch Shepherd breed in the United States and Canada through the American Kennel Club. dscna.com Join us on Facebook.
Contact:

Re: Hi Everybody!

Post by CaroleBoaz »

That is what is known as "het rode boekje" or for the non-Dutch "the red booklet"
Thanks.

My Jubilee book arrived today. I'm really excited to start reading it. The photos and history section are great!
User avatar
Jan
Training Dog
Posts: 405
Joined: Sun Nov 07, 2010 2:58 pm
Tell us about yourself: I like Dutch Shepherddogs, especially the roughcoat. At the moment we have three dogs, two DS (one female who is 10 years and one male who is six months) and one male Laekenois at the age of three. We live in the north of The Netherlands.
Location: Zoutkamp, NL

Re: Hi Everybody!

Post by Jan »

Welcome on behalf of the roughcoat DS as well. :wtg:
Image
User avatar
Marjolein
Working Dog
Posts: 2078
Joined: Sun Jul 11, 2010 7:17 pm
Tell us about yourself: I'm a Dutchie myself ;-) but live in Germany with Johan and my two DS's Cobber-Dingo and Knivil (Dingo and Ivil to friends...)
Location: Warbeyen, Germany
Contact:

Re: Hi Everybody!

Post by Marjolein »

CaroleBoaz wrote:
That is what is known as "het rode boekje" or for the non-Dutch "the red booklet"
Thanks.

My Jubilee book arrived today. I'm really excited to start reading it. The photos and history section are great!
check out the pic on page 119, bottom right, and page 122 8-) *proud*
Image
DogGirl_95
Puppy
Posts: 85
Joined: Tue Nov 01, 2011 3:00 am
Tell us about yourself: I have a Chocolate Labrador named Gunner. He is 8 and 90 lbs of LAZY! I also have three kitties Angel, Sophie, and Daisy our newest addition to our family!
Location: Stockbridge, GA

Re: Hi Everybody!

Post by DogGirl_95 »

Marjolein wrote:
DogGirl_95 wrote:
Marjolein wrote:
How's your Dutch? :mrgreen: Not much books on DS's, even in Dutch there arn't many...

Unfourtnetly I do not have a Dutchie or any of my other Favorite dog breeds but I do have a Chocolate Labrador male from English lines. He is pretty lazy but I still love him to death. He is a good "starter dog". I was wanting some dog books on my favorite breeds then hopefully find some training books for Agility, Obidience Training, and Personal Protection if they had any. I am really a newbie on dogs. I have heard things about Drives though. But I don't even know how and where to start learning about it.

I meant it litterally, how is your Dutch (language). There are no books (that I know of) written in another langauge than Dutch about this breed, except for "the red book" which is in English, but is sold out... ;)
So, ask away is the best option, I do have all the Dutch books, except one that is very rare :( so I can look things up, whaha.

Ohh Haha Well I know no other language other than English, BUT anything that I can copy online, I can just take to Bing Translator and get it in English (or about any other language)!
Caitlin Beaumont
DogGirl_95
Puppy
Posts: 85
Joined: Tue Nov 01, 2011 3:00 am
Tell us about yourself: I have a Chocolate Labrador named Gunner. He is 8 and 90 lbs of LAZY! I also have three kitties Angel, Sophie, and Daisy our newest addition to our family!
Location: Stockbridge, GA

Re: Hi Everybody!

Post by DogGirl_95 »

CaroleBoaz wrote:I have a book in English, translated from Dutch, which is a very thorough examination of proper conformation. But most people aren't interested in that, except for the judge at the IABCA show where my dog earned his IntCH. It has a nice little quiz: "Belgian or Hollander?" Since most people think the only difference between the DS and Belgian Shepherds is the color.

I also have this book http://www.hollandseherder.nl/, but it is in Dutch. Okay, I don't actually have it yet, but it's in transit. The shipping cost is as much as the book, though. And, of course, they don't take credit cards, so you have to have another way to pay for it.

There is also an nice article, in Dutch :), in the January 2011 issue of Hondenwereld. http://www.dehondenwereld.com/vorigenummers.html I had somebody in The Netherlands order it for me and I picked it up when I went there on vacation in June.

So, you see, if you know Dutch, there are some books. The thing is, these articles are based on the pedigreed dogs. In the US, most people focus on the working dogs.

(Here is a good English version of the history of the breed. http://www.sevenpineskennel.com/dutch_s ... istory.htm)
Thank You! Pretty much anything will do for me to get started. And yes I know that whatever breed I get I would rather get the working line, since I have been told they are usually healthier. I can just Translate all the Dutch articles on the Bing Translator.
Caitlin Beaumont
DogGirl_95
Puppy
Posts: 85
Joined: Tue Nov 01, 2011 3:00 am
Tell us about yourself: I have a Chocolate Labrador named Gunner. He is 8 and 90 lbs of LAZY! I also have three kitties Angel, Sophie, and Daisy our newest addition to our family!
Location: Stockbridge, GA

Re: Hi Everybody!

Post by DogGirl_95 »

GSDNanny wrote:You are quite smart to do your research beforehand. I especially commend you at your age for that effort. We welcome you. Feel free to ask questions, that is how we all learn. :wtg:

Oh and Eric has been 'wandering' the bookstores 'wondering' where in the world are the Dutch Shep books!! Just jokin' with ya, Eric! :dssmile:

Thanks, my whole Family thinks I'm nuts :yernuts: ! If I am at the store and my mom says I can get something I go straight to the magazines to get one, or a couple, about dogs or puppies. Even for Christmas all I want is a seat belt for my dog, this metal attachment that hooks up to my bike for my dog to walk beside me, more sqeaky tennis balls, and some dog books! I would go on about what else I want and would want to do with my dog but I think I would give everybody too much of an earful LOL!
Caitlin Beaumont
Post Reply