Page 1 of 2

Hi Everybody!

Posted: Tue Nov 01, 2011 4:02 am
by DogGirl_95
Hi I my name is Caitlin and I am 16 years old. I am a very big Animal person but an even bigger Dog person. I came across Dutchies probably a year ago but never became that interested in them until now. I want to know if you guys can point me to a good book to purchase to learn about Dutchie's or some other sort of good place to find reliable info on them, except here of course.

Re: Hi Everybody!

Posted: Tue Nov 01, 2011 2:31 pm
by Marjolein
Welcome :D
DogGirl_95 wrote: I want to know if you guys can point me to a good book to purchase to learn about Dutchie's or some other sort of good place to find reliable info on them, except here of course.
How's your Dutch? :mrgreen: Not much books on DS's, even in Dutch there arn't many...

Re: Hi Everybody!

Posted: Tue Nov 01, 2011 9:32 pm
by kchristy
Doggirl95 my advice would be to read as much information on this forum as possible, to learn what you can. I did alot of research on the internet, after getting my dutchie, and found out that most of it is incorrect. If you are curious about specific things, just do a search of a keyword in the forum search. I have completely quit searching on the internet for information and use the search bar on the forum to find info that Im looking for. These people are really educated about the breed and can tell you everything from; how brindle is formed through genetics, to how a dutchies temperament is be largely based on the parents and bloodline. I have learned so much, just from reading and asking questions on the forum.

Re: Hi Everybody!

Posted: Tue Nov 01, 2011 9:36 pm
by DogGirl_95
Marjolein wrote:Welcome :D
DogGirl_95 wrote: I want to know if you guys can point me to a good book to purchase to learn about Dutchie's or some other sort of good place to find reliable info on them, except here of course.
How's your Dutch? :mrgreen: Not much books on DS's, even in Dutch there arn't many...

Unfourtnetly I do not have a Dutchie or any of my other Favorite dog breeds but I do have a Chocolate Labrador male from English lines. He is pretty lazy but I still love him to death. He is a good "starter dog". I was wanting some dog books on my favorite breeds then hopefully find some training books for Agility, Obidience Training, and Personal Protection if they had any. I am really a newbie on dogs. I have heard things about Drives though. But I don't even know how and where to start learning about it.

Re: Hi Everybody!

Posted: Tue Nov 01, 2011 9:38 pm
by DogGirl_95
kchristy wrote:Doggirl95 my advice would be to read as much information on this forum as possible, to learn what you can. I did alot of research on the internet, after getting my dutchie, and found out that most of it is incorrect. If you are curious about specific things, just do a search of a keyword in the forum search. I have completely quit searching on the internet for information and use the search bar on the forum to find info that Im looking for. These people are really educated about the breed and can tell you everything from; how brindle is formed through genetics, to how a dutchies temperament is be largely based on the parents and bloodline. I have learned so much, just from reading and asking questions on the forum.

Alright well I guess I will be starting my research on here! I was also skeptical about what I found online so that is why I decided to join this Forum.

Re: Hi Everybody!

Posted: Tue Nov 01, 2011 9:43 pm
by kchristy
I was too, then I started asking questions about the things I found online and felt like a complete idiot when none of it was true. I was worried over nothing. Just ask away, I can help you find info too if you need any help. I am new to the breed too, but have read almost ever post on this forum! Interesting stuff :)

Re: Hi Everybody!

Posted: Wed Nov 02, 2011 12:39 am
by DogGirl_95
kchristy wrote:I was too, then I started asking questions about the things I found online and felt like a complete idiot when none of it was true. I was worried over nothing. Just ask away, I can help you find info too if you need any help. I am new to the breed too, but have read almost ever post on this forum! Interesting stuff :)
Thanks I will probably be asking you a couple questions soon.

Re: Hi Everybody!

Posted: Wed Nov 02, 2011 1:17 am
by CaroleBoaz
Hi! Welcome!

Re: Hi Everybody!

Posted: Wed Nov 02, 2011 11:09 am
by Marjolein
DogGirl_95 wrote:
Marjolein wrote:
How's your Dutch? :mrgreen: Not much books on DS's, even in Dutch there arn't many...

Unfourtnetly I do not have a Dutchie or any of my other Favorite dog breeds but I do have a Chocolate Labrador male from English lines. He is pretty lazy but I still love him to death. He is a good "starter dog". I was wanting some dog books on my favorite breeds then hopefully find some training books for Agility, Obidience Training, and Personal Protection if they had any. I am really a newbie on dogs. I have heard things about Drives though. But I don't even know how and where to start learning about it.

I meant it litterally, how is your Dutch (language). There are no books (that I know of) written in another langauge than Dutch about this breed, except for "the red book" which is in English, but is sold out... ;)
So, ask away is the best option, I do have all the Dutch books, except one that is very rare :( so I can look things up, whaha.

Re: Hi Everybody!

Posted: Wed Nov 02, 2011 11:44 am
by icvanstra
Marjolein wrote:I meant it litterally, how is your Dutch (language).
Marjolein is right. Even the Dutch ones are hard to find. In all my trips over to The Netherlands and wandering (see Marjolein I do know how to use the word :lol: ) around in bookstores it is not easy to find them.

Re: Hi Everybody!

Posted: Wed Nov 02, 2011 2:35 pm
by CaroleBoaz
I have a book in English, translated from Dutch, which is a very thorough examination of proper conformation. But most people aren't interested in that, except for the judge at the IABCA show where my dog earned his IntCH. It has a nice little quiz: "Belgian or Hollander?" Since most people think the only difference between the DS and Belgian Shepherds is the color.

I also have this book http://www.hollandseherder.nl/, but it is in Dutch. Okay, I don't actually have it yet, but it's in transit. The shipping cost is as much as the book, though. And, of course, they don't take credit cards, so you have to have another way to pay for it.

There is also an nice article, in Dutch :), in the January 2011 issue of Hondenwereld. http://www.dehondenwereld.com/vorigenummers.html I had somebody in The Netherlands order it for me and I picked it up when I went there on vacation in June.

So, you see, if you know Dutch, there are some books. The thing is, these articles are based on the pedigreed dogs. In the US, most people focus on the working dogs.

(Here is a good English version of the history of the breed. http://www.sevenpineskennel.com/dutch_s ... istory.htm)

Re: Hi Everybody!

Posted: Wed Nov 02, 2011 6:20 pm
by Sugars Mom
blackpuppy wrote:

(Here is a good English version of the history of the breed. http://www.sevenpineskennel.com/dutch_s ... istory.htm)
Interesting!

Re: Hi Everybody!

Posted: Wed Nov 02, 2011 10:13 pm
by Marjolein
blackpuppy wrote:I have a book in English, translated from Dutch, which is a very thorough examination of proper conformation. But most people aren't interested in that, except for the judge at the IABCA show where my dog earned his IntCH. It has a nice little quiz: "Belgian or Hollander?" Since most people think the only difference between the DS and Belgian Shepherds is the color.
That is what is known as "het rode boekje" or for the non-Dutch "the red booklet"

@Eric, glad you seem to learn from your mistakes :lol: :player:

Re: Hi Everybody!

Posted: Wed Nov 02, 2011 10:23 pm
by GSDNanny
You are quite smart to do your research beforehand. I especially commend you at your age for that effort. We welcome you. Feel free to ask questions, that is how we all learn. :wtg:

Oh and Eric has been 'wandering' the bookstores 'wondering' where in the world are the Dutch Shep books!! Just jokin' with ya, Eric! :dssmile:

Re: Hi Everybody!

Posted: Thu Nov 03, 2011 1:04 am
by CaroleBoaz
That is what is known as "het rode boekje" or for the non-Dutch "the red booklet"
Thanks.

My Jubilee book arrived today. I'm really excited to start reading it. The photos and history section are great!

Re: Hi Everybody!

Posted: Thu Nov 03, 2011 8:22 am
by Jan
Welcome on behalf of the roughcoat DS as well. :wtg:

Re: Hi Everybody!

Posted: Thu Nov 03, 2011 8:42 pm
by Marjolein
CaroleBoaz wrote:
That is what is known as "het rode boekje" or for the non-Dutch "the red booklet"
Thanks.

My Jubilee book arrived today. I'm really excited to start reading it. The photos and history section are great!
check out the pic on page 119, bottom right, and page 122 8-) *proud*

Re: Hi Everybody!

Posted: Thu Nov 03, 2011 10:22 pm
by DogGirl_95
Marjolein wrote:
DogGirl_95 wrote:
Marjolein wrote:
How's your Dutch? :mrgreen: Not much books on DS's, even in Dutch there arn't many...

Unfourtnetly I do not have a Dutchie or any of my other Favorite dog breeds but I do have a Chocolate Labrador male from English lines. He is pretty lazy but I still love him to death. He is a good "starter dog". I was wanting some dog books on my favorite breeds then hopefully find some training books for Agility, Obidience Training, and Personal Protection if they had any. I am really a newbie on dogs. I have heard things about Drives though. But I don't even know how and where to start learning about it.

I meant it litterally, how is your Dutch (language). There are no books (that I know of) written in another langauge than Dutch about this breed, except for "the red book" which is in English, but is sold out... ;)
So, ask away is the best option, I do have all the Dutch books, except one that is very rare :( so I can look things up, whaha.

Ohh Haha Well I know no other language other than English, BUT anything that I can copy online, I can just take to Bing Translator and get it in English (or about any other language)!

Re: Hi Everybody!

Posted: Thu Nov 03, 2011 10:27 pm
by DogGirl_95
CaroleBoaz wrote:I have a book in English, translated from Dutch, which is a very thorough examination of proper conformation. But most people aren't interested in that, except for the judge at the IABCA show where my dog earned his IntCH. It has a nice little quiz: "Belgian or Hollander?" Since most people think the only difference between the DS and Belgian Shepherds is the color.

I also have this book http://www.hollandseherder.nl/, but it is in Dutch. Okay, I don't actually have it yet, but it's in transit. The shipping cost is as much as the book, though. And, of course, they don't take credit cards, so you have to have another way to pay for it.

There is also an nice article, in Dutch :), in the January 2011 issue of Hondenwereld. http://www.dehondenwereld.com/vorigenummers.html I had somebody in The Netherlands order it for me and I picked it up when I went there on vacation in June.

So, you see, if you know Dutch, there are some books. The thing is, these articles are based on the pedigreed dogs. In the US, most people focus on the working dogs.

(Here is a good English version of the history of the breed. http://www.sevenpineskennel.com/dutch_s ... istory.htm)
Thank You! Pretty much anything will do for me to get started. And yes I know that whatever breed I get I would rather get the working line, since I have been told they are usually healthier. I can just Translate all the Dutch articles on the Bing Translator.

Re: Hi Everybody!

Posted: Thu Nov 03, 2011 10:42 pm
by DogGirl_95
GSDNanny wrote:You are quite smart to do your research beforehand. I especially commend you at your age for that effort. We welcome you. Feel free to ask questions, that is how we all learn. :wtg:

Oh and Eric has been 'wandering' the bookstores 'wondering' where in the world are the Dutch Shep books!! Just jokin' with ya, Eric! :dssmile:

Thanks, my whole Family thinks I'm nuts :yernuts: ! If I am at the store and my mom says I can get something I go straight to the magazines to get one, or a couple, about dogs or puppies. Even for Christmas all I want is a seat belt for my dog, this metal attachment that hooks up to my bike for my dog to walk beside me, more sqeaky tennis balls, and some dog books! I would go on about what else I want and would want to do with my dog but I think I would give everybody too much of an earful LOL!