He is 6 mo and a blast. Ask me how I feel in 2 wks when the honeymoon is over and I will prob need that
Introducing Kai
- felixone123
- Working Dog
- Posts: 1076
- Joined: Tue Aug 09, 2011 7:08 pm
- Tell us about yourself: Rescued our first DS male on Dec 27, 2011. Approx 4 yrs. Rescued from NADSR. His name is Odin. Adopted a 2nd DS from NADSR June 27, 2012. Kai - 6 months.
- Location: Fishkill, NY
Introducing Kai
Here is the newest member of our family - Kai (orig Kane) He is one of the 5 that was seized in WV. We were only his foster parents. However, the orig adoption did not work out and now we are his forever parents
We were NOT looking for another dutch, but he is the sweetest pup. Really nice temperment, so we decided to make him part of our family.
He is 6 mo and a blast. Ask me how I feel in 2 wks when the honeymoon is over and I will prob need that
or 2.

He is 6 mo and a blast. Ask me how I feel in 2 wks when the honeymoon is over and I will prob need that
Barbara, Odin & Kai
-
Sugars Mom
- Working Dog
- Posts: 1734
- Joined: Thu Mar 03, 2011 12:16 am
- Tell us about yourself: I adopted a Dutch Shepherd mix (without knowing what she was) from the SPCA here in Victoria BC and am now trying to learn everything I can about this breed. My husband and I work from home most of the time so I thought it was time to get a puppy! We have his 2 boys here half the time and we wanted a nice family dog.
Sugar looks like a miniature Dutch Shepherd with floppy ears, and has every ounce of DS traits in her little body!
I hope to learn from other DS owners and share doggy experiences. - Location: Victoria BC
Re: Introducing Kai
Wow! Congratulations! He is a good looking guy too
Can't wait to hear stories and see more pics
Can't wait to hear stories and see more pics
Sue (and Sugar)

- Dutchringgirl
- Global Moderator

- Posts: 5692
- Joined: Sat Feb 12, 2011 3:05 pm
- Tell us about yourself: I am a mom of 6 life forces - 2 kids and 3 dogs 1 hamster. I live in Ct. I have trained Ringsport and Agility and have 2 DS, one 15 and 7 and a Basset Hound Cookie who is 2
- Location: Ct, USA
Re: Introducing Kai
Oh No you didnt!!!! HA.........wait................just wait.....
That is really great though that he has a new home with you !!
That is really great though that he has a new home with you !!
Lisa, Thalie CGC & Sadie, Cookie the Basset, CT




- felixone123
- Working Dog
- Posts: 1076
- Joined: Tue Aug 09, 2011 7:08 pm
- Tell us about yourself: Rescued our first DS male on Dec 27, 2011. Approx 4 yrs. Rescued from NADSR. His name is Odin. Adopted a 2nd DS from NADSR June 27, 2012. Kai - 6 months.
- Location: Fishkill, NY
Re: Introducing Kai
Dutchringgirl wrote:Oh No you didnt!!!! HA.........wait................just wait.....![]()
![]()
That is really great though that he has a new home with you !!
I KNOW we're
Barbara, Odin & Kai
- Marjolein
- Working Dog
- Posts: 2078
- Joined: Sun Jul 11, 2010 7:17 pm
- Tell us about yourself: I'm a Dutchie myself ;-) but live in Germany with Johan and my two DS's Cobber-Dingo and Knivil (Dingo and Ivil to friends...)
- Location: Warbeyen, Germany
- Contact:
Re: Introducing Kai
waaaaaah!! I'm jealous! Just like that, a great pup!
congrats! And all the strenght you can find...good luck..whaha 
-
Sugars Mom
- Working Dog
- Posts: 1734
- Joined: Thu Mar 03, 2011 12:16 am
- Tell us about yourself: I adopted a Dutch Shepherd mix (without knowing what she was) from the SPCA here in Victoria BC and am now trying to learn everything I can about this breed. My husband and I work from home most of the time so I thought it was time to get a puppy! We have his 2 boys here half the time and we wanted a nice family dog.
Sugar looks like a miniature Dutch Shepherd with floppy ears, and has every ounce of DS traits in her little body!
I hope to learn from other DS owners and share doggy experiences. - Location: Victoria BC
- vneerland
- Global Moderator

- Posts: 1547
- Joined: Sat Jun 19, 2010 10:10 pm
- Tell us about yourself: *
- Location: Tex@s
Re: Introducing Kai
You did WHAT?
Wow! Congrats. (I think...let's wait and see)
Wow! Congrats. (I think...let's wait and see)
Judith Van Neerland Dutch Shepherds 
- alspyce
- Working Dog
- Posts: 1222
- Joined: Wed Mar 23, 2011 5:51 pm
- Tell us about yourself: I am in New York State. Got my first DS about 14 years ago (more or less as a rescue- lost her in Nov.). After years of GSD's, and a few dogs of other breeds (Rotti/Beauceron/Ger. Shorthaired Pointer/ Yorkie and my current Jack Russell) I now have another DS, 4mo female, no name yet, tho I have a few in mind.
Also have a horse-old quarter horse mare-32.
Can't wait for all the snow to get gone! Spring is coming too slow this year! - Location: Corinth, New York
Re: Introducing Kai
Congratulations----they grow on ya, right? Love that you're doing such a good job with Odin--I know you'll be great with this one too!! I knew it would be too hard for you to give him up! You guys rock!
Sometimes I hate that I'm just too far off the beaten path to help with these rescues.
Sometimes I hate that I'm just too far off the beaten path to help with these rescues.
"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened." Anatole France
Chris Carlton/Lyric
Chris Carlton/Lyric
-
leih merigian
- Working Dog
- Posts: 1960
- Joined: Wed Jun 30, 2010 3:20 pm
- Tell us about yourself: Had a GSD, am getting a DS puppy in a few weeks. Compete in agility, obedience, and cross train in tons of stuff. Found out about this site from the DS Rescue yahoo list.
Re: Introducing Kai
Then again, maybe that's not such a bad thingalspyce wrote:Sometimes I hate that I'm just too far off the beaten path to help with these rescues.
leih merigian
Vrijheid's H'Geyser
Zodiac vom Younghaus (over the bridge)
Central VA (near Charlottesville)
It's never too late to have a happy childhood...
Vrijheid's H'Geyser
Zodiac vom Younghaus (over the bridge)
Central VA (near Charlottesville)
It's never too late to have a happy childhood...
-
leih merigian
- Working Dog
- Posts: 1960
- Joined: Wed Jun 30, 2010 3:20 pm
- Tell us about yourself: Had a GSD, am getting a DS puppy in a few weeks. Compete in agility, obedience, and cross train in tons of stuff. Found out about this site from the DS Rescue yahoo list.
Re: Introducing Kai
Love the name Kai! What a cutie!
How do he and Odin get along? (if you've covered that in another thread, don't bother...I'm catching up after a few days absence...)
congratulations?!
How do he and Odin get along? (if you've covered that in another thread, don't bother...I'm catching up after a few days absence...)
congratulations?!
leih merigian
Vrijheid's H'Geyser
Zodiac vom Younghaus (over the bridge)
Central VA (near Charlottesville)
It's never too late to have a happy childhood...
Vrijheid's H'Geyser
Zodiac vom Younghaus (over the bridge)
Central VA (near Charlottesville)
It's never too late to have a happy childhood...
- felixone123
- Working Dog
- Posts: 1076
- Joined: Tue Aug 09, 2011 7:08 pm
- Tell us about yourself: Rescued our first DS male on Dec 27, 2011. Approx 4 yrs. Rescued from NADSR. His name is Odin. Adopted a 2nd DS from NADSR June 27, 2012. Kai - 6 months.
- Location: Fishkill, NY
Re: Introducing Kai
Odin is very patient with him. Dakota is having a hard time warming up but in time she'll be ok. Right now we are not allowing them to play together, they can only relax in the same room with Kai on a leash of course.leih merigian wrote:Love the name Kai! What a cutie!
How do he and Odin get along? (if you've covered that in another thread, don't bother...I'm catching up after a few days absence...)
congratulations?!
Kai is dutch meaning "Rejoice" - how fitting!!
Barbara, Odin & Kai
-
alexis
- Green Dog
- Posts: 180
- Joined: Wed Oct 26, 2011 9:42 pm
- Tell us about yourself: Live in NYC with Zane
Re: Introducing Kai
Congratulations! He's gorgeous!
Glad to hear everyone in the family is getting along.
Glad to hear everyone in the family is getting along.
alexis & zane in NYC
- vneerland
- Global Moderator

- Posts: 1547
- Joined: Sat Jun 19, 2010 10:10 pm
- Tell us about yourself: *
- Location: Tex@s
Re: Introducing Kai
felixone123 wrote:Kai is dutch meaning "Rejoice" - how fitting!!
Judith Van Neerland Dutch Shepherds 
- felixone123
- Working Dog
- Posts: 1076
- Joined: Tue Aug 09, 2011 7:08 pm
- Tell us about yourself: Rescued our first DS male on Dec 27, 2011. Approx 4 yrs. Rescued from NADSR. His name is Odin. Adopted a 2nd DS from NADSR June 27, 2012. Kai - 6 months.
- Location: Fishkill, NY
Re: Introducing Kai
vneerland wrote:felixone123 wrote:Kai is dutch meaning "Rejoice" - how fitting!!Uhm. It's a pretty name, but not Dutch for anything.
Really? My husband did a search on dutch names and said this was one of them.
Barbara, Odin & Kai
- felixone123
- Working Dog
- Posts: 1076
- Joined: Tue Aug 09, 2011 7:08 pm
- Tell us about yourself: Rescued our first DS male on Dec 27, 2011. Approx 4 yrs. Rescued from NADSR. His name is Odin. Adopted a 2nd DS from NADSR June 27, 2012. Kai - 6 months.
- Location: Fishkill, NY
Re: Introducing Kai
felixone123 wrote:vneerland wrote:felixone123 wrote:Kai is dutch meaning "Rejoice" - how fitting!!Uhm. It's a pretty name, but not Dutch for anything.
Really? My husband did a search on dutch names and said this was one of them.hmmmmmm......... I will have to check his research skills.
this is what he found:
http://www.babynology.com/meaning-kai-m18.html
Barbara, Odin & Kai
- icvanstra
- Working Dog
- Posts: 1153
- Joined: Fri Aug 22, 2008 1:33 am
- Tell us about yourself: .
- Location: Broad Ripple - the coolest part of Indianapolis - sometimes Amersfoort
Re: Introducing Kai
Don't listen to Judith! She doesn't know anything about the Dutch language... If you have any real questions about the language just ask me.
Okay, maybe ask Marjolein.
---
Congrats on joining the elite club of "Failed Fosters." I am one!
Just ask Christie why the cat was named Foster ... it's NOT for the beer!
---
Congrats on joining the elite club of "Failed Fosters." I am one!
Just ask Christie why the cat was named Foster ... it's NOT for the beer!
Eric
- - Cino vom Foxtal
- Abigail NORML de Weijer (over the bridge)
- Hannah the DS wanna be (over the bridge)
- Christie M
- Global Moderator

- Posts: 1279
- Joined: Wed Jun 30, 2010 10:03 pm
- Tell us about yourself: Love my striped beasts.
Re: Introducing Kai
Hey, hey, hey.....the cat was an intentional deceit. The ex-boyfriend didn't want me to add anymore to my 4-legged family, so I just had a permanent "foster" cat. He's a freaking awesome cat too.....many years latericvanstra wrote: Just ask Christie why the cat was named Foster ... it's NOT for the beer!
Christie Meyer
http://www.northwoodsk9.com
http://www.dutchshepherdrescue.org
http://www.thunderhawkcanine.com
Be proud of the things that you have taught your dog. Be humbled and grateful for all of the things that your dog has taught you. - Unknown
http://www.northwoodsk9.com
http://www.dutchshepherdrescue.org
http://www.thunderhawkcanine.com
Be proud of the things that you have taught your dog. Be humbled and grateful for all of the things that your dog has taught you. - Unknown
- vneerland
- Global Moderator

- Posts: 1547
- Joined: Sat Jun 19, 2010 10:10 pm
- Tell us about yourself: *
- Location: Tex@s
Re: Introducing Kai
Eric, You're an imposter. Wannabe.icvanstra wrote:Don't listen to Judith! She doesn't know anything about the Dutch language... If you have any real questions about the language just ask me.Okay, maybe ask Marjolein.
I looked at the link that was provided. They list it as a Dutch name but then I don't see the meaning? Just lots of other origins chiming in. Makes you wonder how mean people think they used a *insert country* name when in reality.....
I know I am going to ask around next time I find a cool exotic name that I think would fit a dog's characteristics, to make sure I am not really calling the dog sonof***tch instead of what I intended to use.
Judith Van Neerland Dutch Shepherds 
- icvanstra
- Working Dog
- Posts: 1153
- Joined: Fri Aug 22, 2008 1:33 am
- Tell us about yourself: .
- Location: Broad Ripple - the coolest part of Indianapolis - sometimes Amersfoort
Re: Introducing Kai
That's it! I'm never visiting the South again.vneerland wrote:
Eric, You're an imposter. Wannabe.![]()
![]()
Amersfoort is now as far South as I'm ever going to visit again! ...well, I'll make an exception for Tiel to see my cousin and his family. But Limburg is definitely off the list! Fryslan is looking better and better every day.
...aw crap... that means Maastricht is out now and I liked it so much!!
Eric
- - Cino vom Foxtal
- Abigail NORML de Weijer (over the bridge)
- Hannah the DS wanna be (over the bridge)
- alspyce
- Working Dog
- Posts: 1222
- Joined: Wed Mar 23, 2011 5:51 pm
- Tell us about yourself: I am in New York State. Got my first DS about 14 years ago (more or less as a rescue- lost her in Nov.). After years of GSD's, and a few dogs of other breeds (Rotti/Beauceron/Ger. Shorthaired Pointer/ Yorkie and my current Jack Russell) I now have another DS, 4mo female, no name yet, tho I have a few in mind.
Also have a horse-old quarter horse mare-32.
Can't wait for all the snow to get gone! Spring is coming too slow this year! - Location: Corinth, New York
Re: Introducing Kai
No indeed---not ever to go there.vneerland wrote:[ Aachien (no)
"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened." Anatole France
Chris Carlton/Lyric
Chris Carlton/Lyric


Facebook page.