Introducing Kai

Have a photo you want to share?
User avatar
felixone123
Working Dog
Posts: 1076
Joined: Tue Aug 09, 2011 7:08 pm
Tell us about yourself: Rescued our first DS male on Dec 27, 2011. Approx 4 yrs. Rescued from NADSR. His name is Odin. Adopted a 2nd DS from NADSR June 27, 2012. Kai - 6 months.
Location: Fishkill, NY

Introducing Kai

Post by felixone123 »

Here is the newest member of our family - Kai (orig Kane) He is one of the 5 that was seized in WV. We were only his foster parents. However, the orig adoption did not work out and now we are his forever parents :yernuts: We were NOT looking for another dutch, but he is the sweetest pup. Really nice temperment, so we decided to make him part of our family.

He is 6 mo and a blast. Ask me how I feel in 2 wks when the honeymoon is over and I will prob need that :pint: or 2. :lol: :lol:
IMG_4313.JPG
IMG_4313.JPG (133 KiB) Viewed 4130 times
Barbara, Odin & Kai
Sugars Mom
Working Dog
Posts: 1734
Joined: Thu Mar 03, 2011 12:16 am
Tell us about yourself: I adopted a Dutch Shepherd mix (without knowing what she was) from the SPCA here in Victoria BC and am now trying to learn everything I can about this breed. My husband and I work from home most of the time so I thought it was time to get a puppy! We have his 2 boys here half the time and we wanted a nice family dog.

Sugar looks like a miniature Dutch Shepherd with floppy ears, and has every ounce of DS traits in her little body!

I hope to learn from other DS owners and share doggy experiences.
Location: Victoria BC

Re: Introducing Kai

Post by Sugars Mom »

Wow! Congratulations! He is a good looking guy too :D

Can't wait to hear stories and see more pics
Sue (and Sugar)

Image
User avatar
Dutchringgirl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Posts: 5692
Joined: Sat Feb 12, 2011 3:05 pm
Tell us about yourself: I am a mom of 6 life forces - 2 kids and 3 dogs 1 hamster. I live in Ct. I have trained Ringsport and Agility and have 2 DS, one 15 and 7 and a Basset Hound Cookie who is 2
Location: Ct, USA

Re: Introducing Kai

Post by Dutchringgirl »

Oh No you didnt!!!! HA.........wait................just wait..... :eek: :pint:

That is really great though that he has a new home with you !! :wtg:
Lisa, Thalie CGC & Sadie, Cookie the Basset, CT
ImageImage
User avatar
felixone123
Working Dog
Posts: 1076
Joined: Tue Aug 09, 2011 7:08 pm
Tell us about yourself: Rescued our first DS male on Dec 27, 2011. Approx 4 yrs. Rescued from NADSR. His name is Odin. Adopted a 2nd DS from NADSR June 27, 2012. Kai - 6 months.
Location: Fishkill, NY

Re: Introducing Kai

Post by felixone123 »

Dutchringgirl wrote:Oh No you didnt!!!! HA.........wait................just wait..... :eek: :pint:

That is really great though that he has a new home with you !! :wtg:

I KNOW we're :yernuts: :lol: :lol:
Barbara, Odin & Kai
User avatar
Marjolein
Working Dog
Posts: 2078
Joined: Sun Jul 11, 2010 7:17 pm
Tell us about yourself: I'm a Dutchie myself ;-) but live in Germany with Johan and my two DS's Cobber-Dingo and Knivil (Dingo and Ivil to friends...)
Location: Warbeyen, Germany
Contact:

Re: Introducing Kai

Post by Marjolein »

waaaaaah!! I'm jealous! Just like that, a great pup! 8-) congrats! And all the strenght you can find...good luck..whaha :pint:
Image
Sugars Mom
Working Dog
Posts: 1734
Joined: Thu Mar 03, 2011 12:16 am
Tell us about yourself: I adopted a Dutch Shepherd mix (without knowing what she was) from the SPCA here in Victoria BC and am now trying to learn everything I can about this breed. My husband and I work from home most of the time so I thought it was time to get a puppy! We have his 2 boys here half the time and we wanted a nice family dog.

Sugar looks like a miniature Dutch Shepherd with floppy ears, and has every ounce of DS traits in her little body!

I hope to learn from other DS owners and share doggy experiences.
Location: Victoria BC

Re: Introducing Kai

Post by Sugars Mom »

Who said DS's were like potato chips...can't have just one? :lol:
Sue (and Sugar)

Image
User avatar
vneerland
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Posts: 1547
Joined: Sat Jun 19, 2010 10:10 pm
Tell us about yourself: *
Location: Tex@s

Re: Introducing Kai

Post by vneerland »

You did WHAT? :shock:
Wow! Congrats. (I think...let's wait and see) :player:
ImageJudith Van Neerland Dutch Shepherds Image
User avatar
alspyce
Working Dog
Posts: 1222
Joined: Wed Mar 23, 2011 5:51 pm
Tell us about yourself: I am in New York State. Got my first DS about 14 years ago (more or less as a rescue- lost her in Nov.). After years of GSD's, and a few dogs of other breeds (Rotti/Beauceron/Ger. Shorthaired Pointer/ Yorkie and my current Jack Russell) I now have another DS, 4mo female, no name yet, tho I have a few in mind.
Also have a horse-old quarter horse mare-32.
Can't wait for all the snow to get gone! Spring is coming too slow this year!
Location: Corinth, New York

Re: Introducing Kai

Post by alspyce »

Congratulations----they grow on ya, right? Love that you're doing such a good job with Odin--I know you'll be great with this one too!! I knew it would be too hard for you to give him up! You guys rock!
Sometimes I hate that I'm just too far off the beaten path to help with these rescues.
"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened." Anatole France
Chris Carlton/Lyric
leih merigian
Working Dog
Posts: 1960
Joined: Wed Jun 30, 2010 3:20 pm
Tell us about yourself: Had a GSD, am getting a DS puppy in a few weeks. Compete in agility, obedience, and cross train in tons of stuff. Found out about this site from the DS Rescue yahoo list.

Re: Introducing Kai

Post by leih merigian »

alspyce wrote:Sometimes I hate that I'm just too far off the beaten path to help with these rescues.
Then again, maybe that's not such a bad thing :lol: . Keeping them is probably catching :mrgreen:
leih merigian
Vrijheid's H'Geyser
Zodiac vom Younghaus (over the bridge)
Central VA (near Charlottesville)
It's never too late to have a happy childhood...
leih merigian
Working Dog
Posts: 1960
Joined: Wed Jun 30, 2010 3:20 pm
Tell us about yourself: Had a GSD, am getting a DS puppy in a few weeks. Compete in agility, obedience, and cross train in tons of stuff. Found out about this site from the DS Rescue yahoo list.

Re: Introducing Kai

Post by leih merigian »

Love the name Kai! What a cutie!

How do he and Odin get along? (if you've covered that in another thread, don't bother...I'm catching up after a few days absence...)

congratulations?! :lol:
leih merigian
Vrijheid's H'Geyser
Zodiac vom Younghaus (over the bridge)
Central VA (near Charlottesville)
It's never too late to have a happy childhood...
User avatar
felixone123
Working Dog
Posts: 1076
Joined: Tue Aug 09, 2011 7:08 pm
Tell us about yourself: Rescued our first DS male on Dec 27, 2011. Approx 4 yrs. Rescued from NADSR. His name is Odin. Adopted a 2nd DS from NADSR June 27, 2012. Kai - 6 months.
Location: Fishkill, NY

Re: Introducing Kai

Post by felixone123 »

leih merigian wrote:Love the name Kai! What a cutie!

How do he and Odin get along? (if you've covered that in another thread, don't bother...I'm catching up after a few days absence...)

congratulations?! :lol:
Odin is very patient with him. Dakota is having a hard time warming up but in time she'll be ok. Right now we are not allowing them to play together, they can only relax in the same room with Kai on a leash of course.

Kai is dutch meaning "Rejoice" - how fitting!! :lol:
Barbara, Odin & Kai
alexis
Green Dog
Posts: 180
Joined: Wed Oct 26, 2011 9:42 pm
Tell us about yourself: Live in NYC with Zane

Re: Introducing Kai

Post by alexis »

Congratulations! He's gorgeous!

Glad to hear everyone in the family is getting along.
alexis & zane in NYC
User avatar
vneerland
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Posts: 1547
Joined: Sat Jun 19, 2010 10:10 pm
Tell us about yourself: *
Location: Tex@s

Re: Introducing Kai

Post by vneerland »

felixone123 wrote:Kai is dutch meaning "Rejoice" - how fitting!! :lol:
:shock: Uhm. It's a pretty name, but not Dutch for anything. :oops:
ImageJudith Van Neerland Dutch Shepherds Image
User avatar
felixone123
Working Dog
Posts: 1076
Joined: Tue Aug 09, 2011 7:08 pm
Tell us about yourself: Rescued our first DS male on Dec 27, 2011. Approx 4 yrs. Rescued from NADSR. His name is Odin. Adopted a 2nd DS from NADSR June 27, 2012. Kai - 6 months.
Location: Fishkill, NY

Re: Introducing Kai

Post by felixone123 »

vneerland wrote:
felixone123 wrote:Kai is dutch meaning "Rejoice" - how fitting!! :lol:
:shock: Uhm. It's a pretty name, but not Dutch for anything. :oops:

Really? My husband did a search on dutch names and said this was one of them. :huh: hmmmmmm......... I will have to check his research skills. :roll:
Barbara, Odin & Kai
User avatar
felixone123
Working Dog
Posts: 1076
Joined: Tue Aug 09, 2011 7:08 pm
Tell us about yourself: Rescued our first DS male on Dec 27, 2011. Approx 4 yrs. Rescued from NADSR. His name is Odin. Adopted a 2nd DS from NADSR June 27, 2012. Kai - 6 months.
Location: Fishkill, NY

Re: Introducing Kai

Post by felixone123 »

felixone123 wrote:
vneerland wrote:
felixone123 wrote:Kai is dutch meaning "Rejoice" - how fitting!! :lol:
:shock: Uhm. It's a pretty name, but not Dutch for anything. :oops:

Really? My husband did a search on dutch names and said this was one of them. :huh: hmmmmmm......... I will have to check his research skills. :roll:

this is what he found:
http://www.babynology.com/meaning-kai-m18.html
Barbara, Odin & Kai
User avatar
icvanstra
Working Dog
Posts: 1153
Joined: Fri Aug 22, 2008 1:33 am
Tell us about yourself: .
Location: Broad Ripple - the coolest part of Indianapolis - sometimes Amersfoort

Re: Introducing Kai

Post by icvanstra »

Don't listen to Judith! She doesn't know anything about the Dutch language... If you have any real questions about the language just ask me. :hic: Okay, maybe ask Marjolein.

---

Congrats on joining the elite club of "Failed Fosters." I am one!

Just ask Christie why the cat was named Foster ... it's NOT for the beer! :pint:
Eric
  • - Cino vom Foxtal
    - Abigail NORML de Weijer (over the bridge)
    - Hannah the DS wanna be (over the bridge)
User avatar
Christie M
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Posts: 1279
Joined: Wed Jun 30, 2010 10:03 pm
Tell us about yourself: Love my striped beasts.

Re: Introducing Kai

Post by Christie M »

icvanstra wrote: Just ask Christie why the cat was named Foster ... it's NOT for the beer! :pint:
Hey, hey, hey.....the cat was an intentional deceit. The ex-boyfriend didn't want me to add anymore to my 4-legged family, so I just had a permanent "foster" cat. He's a freaking awesome cat too.....many years later :D
Christie Meyer
http://www.northwoodsk9.com
http://www.dutchshepherdrescue.org
http://www.thunderhawkcanine.com

Be proud of the things that you have taught your dog. Be humbled and grateful for all of the things that your dog has taught you. - Unknown
User avatar
vneerland
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Posts: 1547
Joined: Sat Jun 19, 2010 10:10 pm
Tell us about yourself: *
Location: Tex@s

Re: Introducing Kai

Post by vneerland »

icvanstra wrote:Don't listen to Judith! She doesn't know anything about the Dutch language... If you have any real questions about the language just ask me. :hic: Okay, maybe ask Marjolein.
Eric, You're an imposter. Wannabe. :player: :twisted: :g_wink:

I looked at the link that was provided. They list it as a Dutch name but then I don't see the meaning? Just lots of other origins chiming in. Makes you wonder how mean people think they used a *insert country* name when in reality..... :shock: I found the "Dutch" top ten too. :D Ka (uh?) Aachie (no, at best, that would be Aagje) Jaap (yes) Aaf (not really) Daaf (no) Gab (uh?) Aafje (not really) Arabella (it's a name, but not typical) Aachien (no) Aad (yes)
I know I am going to ask around next time I find a cool exotic name that I think would fit a dog's characteristics, to make sure I am not really calling the dog sonof***tch instead of what I intended to use. :lol:
ImageJudith Van Neerland Dutch Shepherds Image
User avatar
icvanstra
Working Dog
Posts: 1153
Joined: Fri Aug 22, 2008 1:33 am
Tell us about yourself: .
Location: Broad Ripple - the coolest part of Indianapolis - sometimes Amersfoort

Re: Introducing Kai

Post by icvanstra »

vneerland wrote:
Eric, You're an imposter. Wannabe. :player: :twisted: :g_wink:
That's it! I'm never visiting the South again. :yernuts:

Amersfoort is now as far South as I'm ever going to visit again! ...well, I'll make an exception for Tiel to see my cousin and his family. But Limburg is definitely off the list! Fryslan is looking better and better every day. :bum:

...aw crap... that means Maastricht is out now and I liked it so much!! :cry:
Eric
  • - Cino vom Foxtal
    - Abigail NORML de Weijer (over the bridge)
    - Hannah the DS wanna be (over the bridge)
User avatar
alspyce
Working Dog
Posts: 1222
Joined: Wed Mar 23, 2011 5:51 pm
Tell us about yourself: I am in New York State. Got my first DS about 14 years ago (more or less as a rescue- lost her in Nov.). After years of GSD's, and a few dogs of other breeds (Rotti/Beauceron/Ger. Shorthaired Pointer/ Yorkie and my current Jack Russell) I now have another DS, 4mo female, no name yet, tho I have a few in mind.
Also have a horse-old quarter horse mare-32.
Can't wait for all the snow to get gone! Spring is coming too slow this year!
Location: Corinth, New York

Re: Introducing Kai

Post by alspyce »

vneerland wrote:[ Aachien (no)
No indeed---not ever to go there. :player:
"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened." Anatole France
Chris Carlton/Lyric
Post Reply