A note from Harlough

For our new members to introduce themselves
Post Reply
Harloughsmom2012
Just Whelped
Posts: 4
Joined: Tue Aug 21, 2012 4:37 pm
Tell us about yourself: I just got Harlough a 7 year old Dutch. She is the best dog ever! We camp, we hike, we fish( I read, she swims, and my husband is the only one actually trying to fish) and we go everywhere we possibly can together. She loves my neices and nephews, and even the cats have warmed up to her.

A note from Harlough

Post by Harloughsmom2012 »

HI! My name is Harlough. I am 7 years old and my new mom and dad are really cool. They came and got me because my old person passed away. I take my new mom and dad hiking, camping and fishing. Sometimes it gets really hot here in Texas, so they got me my own pool to play in. But my favorite thing is when Dad goes fishing because I get to get in the lake and play. They don't even get mad if I get all muddy! They say that I am the new baby because my big sister left for college. She left her cats behind at mom and dads but they dont bother me...I just ignore how silly they are with all that hissing and swatting stuff. I am so excited to have a new home, and I hope that I can make some Dutch friends on here! There are very few of us in this part of Texas so maybe we can be friends and give each other tips on how to train our humans! I have to get off the computer- my mom will be home for lunch soon, but I hope you all have a great day!
Love,
Harlough :lol:
"In a perfect world, every dog would have a home and every home would have a dog."
User avatar
Schlussdibusti
Working Dog
Posts: 1040
Joined: Mon Jun 13, 2011 6:25 pm
Tell us about yourself: I adopted a DS

Re: A note from Harlough

Post by Schlussdibusti »

Welcome :wave:
Eva & Marco BH
Jupiter, Florida
User avatar
felixone123
Working Dog
Posts: 1076
Joined: Tue Aug 09, 2011 7:08 pm
Tell us about yourself: Rescued our first DS male on Dec 27, 2011. Approx 4 yrs. Rescued from NADSR. His name is Odin. Adopted a 2nd DS from NADSR June 27, 2012. Kai - 6 months.
Location: Fishkill, NY

Re: A note from Harlough

Post by felixone123 »

ahh, what a sweet story!! welcome and don't forget to post some pics.
Barbara, Odin & Kai
User avatar
Dutchringgirl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Posts: 5692
Joined: Sat Feb 12, 2011 3:05 pm
Tell us about yourself: I am a mom of 6 life forces - 2 kids and 3 dogs 1 hamster. I live in Ct. I have trained Ringsport and Agility and have 2 DS, one 15 and 7 and a Basset Hound Cookie who is 2
Location: Ct, USA

Re: A note from Harlough

Post by Dutchringgirl »

Hi Harlough!!! I have some great training tricks for your human !!! Ill have to tell you in sectret because im sure Thalie will tattle tale one me, she is such a goodie goodie. Maybe one day you can come play with us ! There is a ton of good deer poop to eat.
Lisa, Thalie CGC & Sadie, Cookie the Basset, CT
ImageImage
User avatar
alspyce
Working Dog
Posts: 1222
Joined: Wed Mar 23, 2011 5:51 pm
Tell us about yourself: I am in New York State. Got my first DS about 14 years ago (more or less as a rescue- lost her in Nov.). After years of GSD's, and a few dogs of other breeds (Rotti/Beauceron/Ger. Shorthaired Pointer/ Yorkie and my current Jack Russell) I now have another DS, 4mo female, no name yet, tho I have a few in mind.
Also have a horse-old quarter horse mare-32.
Can't wait for all the snow to get gone! Spring is coming too slow this year!
Location: Corinth, New York

Re: A note from Harlough

Post by alspyce »

Welcome! So sorry to hear you lost your human----good luck training the new ones.
"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened." Anatole France
Chris Carlton/Lyric
leih merigian
Working Dog
Posts: 1960
Joined: Wed Jun 30, 2010 3:20 pm
Tell us about yourself: Had a GSD, am getting a DS puppy in a few weeks. Compete in agility, obedience, and cross train in tons of stuff. Found out about this site from the DS Rescue yahoo list.

Re: A note from Harlough

Post by leih merigian »

Welcome to you and your humans!

That was so much fun to read...we'll enjoy having you around! :mrgreen:
leih merigian
Vrijheid's H'Geyser
Zodiac vom Younghaus (over the bridge)
Central VA (near Charlottesville)
It's never too late to have a happy childhood...
Turrell2
Just Whelped
Posts: 7
Joined: Wed Jun 13, 2012 12:17 am
Tell us about yourself: Hello, my name is Patty and I have two dogs I rescued. One is a chow mix named Bella who is 8 1/2 and a Dutch Shepherd named Sophie aka Soso who is about 7 1/2 years old.

Re: A note from Harlough

Post by Turrell2 »

Welcome. Such a sweet story.
Image

"A dog is the only thing that can mend a crack in your broken heart"

~Judy Desmond
Sugars Mom
Working Dog
Posts: 1734
Joined: Thu Mar 03, 2011 12:16 am
Tell us about yourself: I adopted a Dutch Shepherd mix (without knowing what she was) from the SPCA here in Victoria BC and am now trying to learn everything I can about this breed. My husband and I work from home most of the time so I thought it was time to get a puppy! We have his 2 boys here half the time and we wanted a nice family dog.

Sugar looks like a miniature Dutch Shepherd with floppy ears, and has every ounce of DS traits in her little body!

I hope to learn from other DS owners and share doggy experiences.
Location: Victoria BC

Re: A note from Harlough

Post by Sugars Mom »

Welcome, love the intro!
Sue (and Sugar)

Image
Harloughsmom2012
Just Whelped
Posts: 4
Joined: Tue Aug 21, 2012 4:37 pm
Tell us about yourself: I just got Harlough a 7 year old Dutch. She is the best dog ever! We camp, we hike, we fish( I read, she swims, and my husband is the only one actually trying to fish) and we go everywhere we possibly can together. She loves my neices and nephews, and even the cats have warmed up to her.

Re: A note from Harlough

Post by Harloughsmom2012 »

Thank you so much for the warm welcome! I am Harlough's Mom- my name is Kim and I have a question about my wonderful baby girl. She loves to play with her toys- especially if they have squeekers in them. The question is: does anyone know where we can find toys with squeekies that don't tear up so fast? It is going to get expensive if we have to replace toys every week or two because she chews them up, but more importantly we are afraid she will choke on the torn out squeeker. We will do it because we love her but it would be nice for them to last a little bit longer. Thanks-Kim
"In a perfect world, every dog would have a home and every home would have a dog."
alexis
Green Dog
Posts: 180
Joined: Wed Oct 26, 2011 9:42 pm
Tell us about yourself: Live in NYC with Zane

Re: A note from Harlough

Post by alexis »

Zane can get pretty much any squeaker out after about 15 minutes, but these two toys have held up for several weeks each (they both have holes and missing parts, but at least one squeaker is still securely inside and working).

Squeaky Snake: http://www.funtimedogshop.com/item/Invi ... _Snake/117
The squeakers are huge - about 5in by 2in - so they seem like less of a choking hazard.

Monkey: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... -_-NA-_-NA

A warning, the snake has 10 or so squeakers and it can get really annoying, but is good for tug and dressing your dog up in a boa. Like so (see how happy he looks about it):

Image
alexis & zane in NYC
User avatar
Christie M
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Posts: 1279
Joined: Wed Jun 30, 2010 10:03 pm
Tell us about yourself: Love my striped beasts.

Re: A note from Harlough

Post by Christie M »

I might have to get one of those snakes for the next time we visit the parents. I'm sure they would LOVE that!
Christie Meyer
http://www.northwoodsk9.com
http://www.dutchshepherdrescue.org
http://www.thunderhawkcanine.com

Be proud of the things that you have taught your dog. Be humbled and grateful for all of the things that your dog has taught you. - Unknown
Harloughsmom2012
Just Whelped
Posts: 4
Joined: Tue Aug 21, 2012 4:37 pm
Tell us about yourself: I just got Harlough a 7 year old Dutch. She is the best dog ever! We camp, we hike, we fish( I read, she swims, and my husband is the only one actually trying to fish) and we go everywhere we possibly can together. She loves my neices and nephews, and even the cats have warmed up to her.

Re: A note from Harlough

Post by Harloughsmom2012 »

The snake is a big hit at our house!!! Thanks Alexis and Zane!! Love from Texas-Harlough,Kim and Toby
"In a perfect world, every dog would have a home and every home would have a dog."
alexis
Green Dog
Posts: 180
Joined: Wed Oct 26, 2011 9:42 pm
Tell us about yourself: Live in NYC with Zane

Re: A note from Harlough

Post by alexis »

Glad to hear it and you're welcome!
alexis & zane in NYC
Post Reply